Headcovering..........veil or hair?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Wiedertaufen, Feb 12, 2004.

1. donnA Active Member

I don't know about where you live. But where i'm from if someone claims to be married we believe them. We don't ask for a marriage license to make sure they are married. So how could they have a bad testimony? [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]It has t do with obeying God when He said top obey our countries laws.
    It's about obedience to God, not personal opinion if a marriage certificate is needed or not.
    Can no one understand this.

2. donnA Active Member

What are you talking about? As I said they do not follow culture because in thier culture veiling is for muslim not chirsitans, no christians where she grew up veiled because of it, they did not want to be associated with Islam by dressing like Islamic people.

Again I'm not sure where you got that from, as the meaning of the oword there is shaw in ehglish. Prephaps you didn't read it all.

A little bit, only a little but of good bible study will show this is not a person but Babylon.

What you are chooseing is a twisted out of context proof text. ANd you are refusing to see what the bible actually says, adding meaning where meaning is not there. It is a shame that you feel you need to add to and change scripture to make your point. Prephaps the fault is not your own, prophaps you were never taught proper bible study.

ANd the marriage license comes down to obedience to God, as I have showed from scripture. You preach what you refuse to do yourself, then condem others.

3. Walls New Member

Maybe only yours.

God says what God has joined together let no man put asunder. We are to follow the laws of the land but only if it doesn't violate God's law. God gives no provision for divorce, you are married by a license that provides for a divorce, I am married by a contract between my church (the God ordained government-another thread), my husband and myself. The only way our marriage can be cancelled is through the church which will never happen because they follow God's laws and not mans.

Now if you could keep on the topic at hand I am sure the other posters would appreciate it! :eek:

4. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most would appreciate the anabaptist doctrinal interpretations NOT be promoted as the only "spiritual" or "biblical" or "godly" way. It gets tiresome.

Baptists may believe or practice "marriage licenses" or "head covering". But to dictate that standard to others steps into the realm of legalism and raises the hackles of most of us.

Just my tired two cents.

5. Headcoveredlady New Member

You are right, Jesus said you will know my disciples because they love one another. Thank you for the exhortation.

6. Headcoveredlady New Member

Actually for me I began seeking towards the Anabaptist because they still teach this Biblical doctrine. I began seeking towards the Anabaptist because the Baptists did not want any covered women around.

I am NOT a member of an Anabaptist church.

I began to wear the headcovering while attending a Southern Baptist church.

I think the most godliest way to be is to follow God's Word.

7. Walls New Member

No where in the Bible does it say that the state government is to take care of a widow. That is a responsibility of the church. Too many Christians run to the god, called government with their hand out. My marriage is authorized by the church and in the event of my husband's going home to be with the Lord, the church will take care of me, not god government or god forerunner of the mark of the beast social security! ;)

[ February 13, 2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Walls ]

8. Walls New Member

Dina,

Not able to go back and find your post. But wanted to answer your question.

1Cor 11 teaches that uncovered woman dishonours her husband and that if she doesn't cover, she should shave/cut her hair. It also says that she is to have power on her head. Spiritual or literal? Only you can answer that for yourself.

The Bible also says that we are to a seperate and peculiar people.

As far as being noticed, it justs comes along with not looking like the tattooed lady with short hair that wears a cross around her neck at the check out or the young girl with hardly any clothes on that is carrying a WWJD key chain, or the lady that pulls up with caked on hairspray and enough makeup to paint a wall that has a bumper sticker that says God is my copilot.

These are not seperated people. They are those that have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof.

9. Dina New Member

&gt;&gt;As far as being noticed, it justs comes along with not looking like the tattooed lady with short hair that wears a cross around her neck&lt;&lt;

Wow, you're good. You described me to a T!
    How sad that you would judge me on my appearance and not on my heart.

10. dianetavegia Guest

Well I don't have a tattoo but then I didn't realize a tattoo was the mark of the beast either. I guess my short hair and the cross around my neck........

Never mind. I'm wasting my breath.
    Diane

11. Headcoveredlady New Member

Dina,
    Do you think that the unsaved who see this type of appearance are attracted to you as a light for Jesus Christ?

The unsaved can't see in to your heart. They see your appearance first of all. Some may only have a few minutes to observe you (passing in the store). Others get to know you better (neighbors and friends). The latter can get to know you a bit more as to your actions. But, what about the strangers that you meet. Do they generally come to you seeking spiritual advice because of your heart condition?

12. blackbird Active Member

Diane---I sure wish somebody would come along and preach these particular texts IN CONTEXT!!!! Then I wish somebody would come along and believe these particular texts IN CONTEXT!!!

The glory of the woman is her hair! She is not to cover her hair with a hat in church---because she would be hiding her glory! There was a temple there in Corinth dedicated to the goddess Diana---and many of those "Temple Prophetesses" were getting saved under the preaching of the Apostles sent and residing in the city---they were leaving the wicked temples behind---and finding their way into the church----and many of them were keeping with the tradition of having their heads "shaven" while becoming new members of the Corinthian church----see??? They were shaving their "glory" off---and the Apostle Paul simply writes the church and was telling these converted women to let their hair grow back out---quit shaving their heads---and wear a hat to church until the hair started growing back in order to cover up their "spiritual" shame!!! Simple as that!!

Its not necessary for a woman to shave her head---just like it isn't necessary for men to have hair that mimics Samson---whos long hair was a shame---that's another story, isn't it!!

Brother David

13. Headcoveredlady New Member

So what would be the purpose IN CONTEXT of a woman showing off her glory? Is it to glorify God? And which verse indicates that she is to show off her glory?

14. Dina New Member

&gt;&gt;Dina, Do you think that the unsaved who see this type of appearance are attracted to you as a light for Jesus Christ?&lt;&lt;

No, what they see in me is this: a woman who smiles because of the joy of the Lord, A woman who is a sinner, saved by grace. A woman who will not judge them based on a tattoo, *too many earrings*, ankle bracelets, short hair, belly button peircing, colored hair, makeup, or whatever else may be going on with them. What they see in me, is what they are screaming OUT for: Love. A person that shares Christ with them in love.

15. Daniel David New Member

Okay, before I do, I wish to say the following:

1. The Scriptures say that the head covering was a symbol of authority. It wasn't the authority. It only represented it.

2. The Wedding ring idea doesn't really fit. People wear a wedding ring to symbolize that they are married, not under submission. Otherwise, it would be wrong for a man to wear a ring, as we are NOT to submit to our wife.

3. So, what is the covering? Why, it is the fact that she dresses modestly in a way PLEASING TO ME. How about that? My wife gladly tells people (who ask), that she wears what I like and what pleases me. My wife is extremely modest and beautiful. Our family picture (minus our latest) is in the BB photo section.

This is so significant, because many women wear dresses, but do not keep themselves up. They are a shame to their husbands (whether he admits it or not, and whether they wear a head covering or not). A woman who is, dare I say, fat and frumpy (not because of medical reasons), is a shame to her husband. I realize that is a strong statement, but I believe it to be true.

4. God showed us his glory in Christ. Christ put man on display as his crowning creation. The man ought to be able to (modestly of course) show his glory, his wife.

I have read here that a man needs to cover his glory. How absurd and contrary to Scripture and truth.

16. Headcoveredlady New Member

Okay, before I do, I3or not).
    I have read here that a man needs to cover his glory. How absurd and contrary to Scripture and truth.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Nobody said a man needs to cover his glory. The only thing said was that a woman needs to cover her glory.

17. Dina New Member

Thank you Daniel for sharing that. Beautifully put!!!

18. Headcoveredlady New Member

So, you are saying that generally the unsaved don't judge you on your outward appearance. They only care if you smile at them and that brings them to ask you about Jesus? Wow! I have never met any unsaved like that. This is very interesting.

I have experienced exactly the opposite. When I dressed just like the world does and was friendly, etc I never had anyone come up to me asking for tracts or what church I went, what I believed, etc.

I even had one lady who I was trying to witness to tell me she thought I was a heathen just like her.

19. Headcoveredlady New Member

I misread part of your post. I agree we are to have absolutely no judgement of those outside of the Body of Christ. Yes, we should witness to those who dress as as you described. Jesus witnessed to harlots and theifs and the demon-possessed. We should follow His example and witness to all lost people.

Yes, come as you are to Jesus, but after you are saved He requires modesty and discreetness.

20. Daniel David New Member

HCL, you are right, I did mispost.

God displayed Christ.
    Christ displayed man.
    Husband displays wife.
    Wife displays hair.

That is the pattern. Of course, you want the last one changed.

You also completely ignore that 1 Cor. 11 is about when the people come together and assemble.

Also, I meant to say something about the amish thing.

Some associations in Scripture are wrong. Now HCL, I have NO problem with women wearing a head covering. Many in my church do. I gave the reason why my wife doesn't.

You have asserted that the whole feminist, lesbian, laodicean (or whatever) mindset has permeated believers. How is that not guilt by association and wondering what the world thinks?