Hell: Which View is The Bible One?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by AndyMartin, May 10, 2017.

1. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in the Bible anywhere. Nor do the Hebrew and Greek words used for the punishment of the wicked, ever support "annihilation", at any time. This is all pure conjecture and wishful thinking!

2. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who suppose that words like "destroy", have the meaning "annihilate", should take note of the following.

In Genesis 19:29 we read: "Thus it came about, when God destroyed the cities of the valley, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when He overthrew the cities in which Lot lived", which is speaking of the "destruction" of Sodom. The Hebrew word "shachath", is never used for "annihilation". Jesus refers to this in Luke 17:29, "but on the day that Lot went out from Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all", where again the Greek "ἀπόλλυμι" (destroyed) never is used for "annihilation".

If, as some suppose that "destruction" equates to "annihilation", then how can they answer the fact, that over 2000 years after God destroyed Sodom, that Jesus in the Gospels says, "Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city" (Matthew 10:15). How can these people who were "annihilated" in the Book of Genesis, be there on Judgement Day? Likewise in Jude 1:7 we read, "just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire". Where the word "undergoing" in the Greek, "ὑπέχουσαι", is in the "present, continuance tense", showing that when Jude was written, they we STILL SUFFERING.

3. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were physically destroyed by God's judgment (the first death) - the destruction of the body.

Yes, except no one is in the lake of fire yet. The time of complete destruction (the second death) has not yet occurred. That comes after the final judgment.

4. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    can you or anyone else show from the Bible, where "destruction" means "annihilation", as NONE of the Hebrew and Greek words used ever show this? I await the evidence.

5. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are done Andy, I provided two of many examples, and some of the Lexicon's you mentioned include "do away with completely."

6. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You added no scripture therefore your long diatribe has no credibility. End of story.

7. Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You asked nothing pertaining to anything specific I said.
    You did not ask, you did not receive.
    You did not go and seek, you did not find.

You simply dismissed it ALL as not creditable.

I gave a long post....

You said;

Revmitchell said:
    If you actually thought you had scriptural support for that post you would have included it.

Why? You are the one who claims yourself with the title "Reverend". I do not presume anyone parading with a TITLE of Reverend is a baby, lacking basic knowledge of scripture, to ignorant to know how to seek in scripture and verify what they hear, or ASK the speaker of a portion of the text they are ignorant of and do not comprehend.

Sorry. I gave you too much credit, based on the title you have attached to your identity.

That "credit" was quickly changed, when you proved yourself incapable of addressing ANY particular point I stated, and proved yourself incapable to searching the Scriptures yourself, and proved yourself
    in opposition to scripture, when I took ONE point of mine and gave you the verifying scripture, to which you continued and still continue to make your objection.

It didn't really matter IF I looked up EVERY SINGLE SCRIPTURE FOR YOU.....
    I did ONE as an example....and YOU STILL DENY, and YOU STILL claim...

Regarding you, from here forward, I will presume you completely unskilled to have a general conversation, about Scripture, and completely ignorant of the ability to comprehend how to go and seek or ask and are therefor well suited for a Toddler Bible that speaks a one-liner and looks up for you the paralleling scripture.

Whinny lazy people are about as pleasant as a pebble in my shoe. :(

8. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care what you presume. Have a nice day and good luck with your unscriptural posts.

9. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The correct viewpoint would be that it is an eternal state apart from the presence of God forever!

10. Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You don't care, is sufficient on your part; was what I presumed about you; and thus settled, no need to converse betwixt us. God bless you.

11. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE of the reputable ones would see hell as meaning cease to exist/destroyed as in being undone now!

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There really are none, except that those who must see a need to have no eternal hell make that up!

13. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right, those who advocate "annihilation" do not have ANY Bible texts to support their "theory", and actually doing the devils work for him! They are no better than the Roman Catholics and their "Purgatory", which again is based on an unscriptural misunderstanding of what the Bible actually does teach on the "eternal stare of the damned". The biggest fear for those who support such nonsense, is that many will end up in a real conscious hell, where there is real suffering, and because they listened to the detractors of the Truth of Scripture, and hoped they were right! This is nothing short of tragic.

14. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, ok, ok I think we all see this post as over the top and unnecessary. There is no annihilation in scripture but no one is doing the devils work. Let's be peaceful.

15. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you say this this post is over the top? We are here dealing with the eternal destiny of millions of people, and every life is precious to the Lord. To promote the teaching of "annihilation", is a false doctrine, and cannot be from the Lord. There are many millions who will be deceived into believing that after death there is nothing else, and will not see the urgent need to repent and get right with the Lord. You will know that the Person who spoke the most on hell, and warned everyone, is the Lord Jesus Christ, because of the severity of what awaits the unbelieving wicked. It is our God-given duty to warn everyone about the real danger of a real suffering for all eternity if they reject Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour and Lord. How can anyone doubt that those who hold to "annihilation" have been deceived by the devil, as it has not part in Scripture.

16. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it is

We cannot know what people will be deceived into thinking. Pure speculation on your part.

Or how about they just got it wrong all by themselves without the help of the devil. Satan is real, the battle is real, but let's not cause more division by telling people they are doing the devils work because they got a particular doctrine wrong. That is as much the devils work as anything else.

Let's just make our case, disagree and move on. Good grief.

17. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its fine to have your own opinions, but please don't try to get involved in what others are saying just because they don't do things the same way as you. You have your way and I have mine. If you think I am Biblically wrong, then show me, otherwise don't criticize for the sake of it!

18. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh sorry newbie, that is not how it is done on this board. You do not get to decide which of your comments others can comment on. You are being crass and your posts are sophomoric at best. Take some time to think before you post.

19. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rich coming from you! I have seen some of your exchanges with "Happy"!. Just don't worry your head, as you are not "Admin"!

20. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really do not know why Y1 posts. Did anyone say Gehenna ceases to exist? Nope. Satan is tormented day and night in the lake of fire forever and ever. Please stop posting falsehoods to push fake theology.

And why did you claim none of the Lexicons have as a meaning of "destroy" G622 as "destroy, i.e. to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to, ruin." (Thayers)