1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Christ Was "Made Sin"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Feb 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction - in Koine Greek hamartia does not mean "missing the mark". That is an earlier meaning (Homer, for example ample, used hamartia to mean missing the mark).

In Koine Greek hamartia is an error, or disobedience to God.

Like I said, we are defining hamartia in the passage the exact same way (I say Paul is referencing Christ becoming a curse for us and giving Himself as a sin offering....you say Paul is referening Christ bearing our sins).

Same thing.

Your definition of "sin" in the passage, if you are correct , is the first time it is used that way in the NT.

Thay doesn't mean it is unbiblical.

I am saying the EXACT SAME THING that you are. The difference is I am saying Paul is using a legitimate, although archaic to the 1st Century, definition that tge people in Corinth would be familiar with via literature.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Feeling much better today, thank you. My wife had the stomach flu, and I think I had a mild version of it.

To do a complete study of hamartia in the LXX would require far more time than I have right now. I will say that such a study would have to include prepositions (such as in Romans 8:3), clauses, etc. All you have done is state the bare idea that hamartia can mean "sin offering" in the LXX. I'll agree with that much, but how often? I doubt that it means that across the board. And again, NT usage rules.

Just one example. Isaiah 59:2 in the LXX has both hamartema for iniquities and hamartia for sins. Why both? Poetic? Are they synonyms? Neither can mean "sin offering" in that context. See what I mean? It's not a simple, "count the times" study.
    Not rejecting it--just don't have time to properly study it out. I'm just drawn in whenever I see Greek. :)

I wouldn't do that--would I??:Coffee

1. Why just the NT?
    2. Not understanding. Christ bore our sin. Sin separates from God. Why the complicated theological parsing?

Frankly, I've followed these discussions occasionally, but never wanted to get into them--I don't say they are not fruitful. Don't have time for much more than this today. Lots of work to dive into!

#82 John of Japan, Feb 24, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not. You said it means "missing the mark", which was an archaic meaning by the 1st Century, but then you went on to explain away that meaning by talking about Christ bearing our sins.

BUT I may have misunderstood you.

How exactly do you believe that Christ was made to "miss the mark"?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad you are feeling better. Several at work had a 24 hr "bug".

As far as tge LXX goes, I understand why it wouldn't automatically carry that meaning in the NT. How many times? A little over 100 (I lost count), but definitely a minority of the time.

The issue for me, here, with reading the word to convey a theological concept is it is kinda up for grabs. What I mean is I agree with you that Christ bore our sins, but I disagree that Christ bore our sins in such a way that He was separates from God (if I understand you correctly).

In the end, though, I think we are saying much the same thing. I use "sin offering" as Christ giving Himself as a sin offering, baring our sin, becoming a curse for us.

I probably didn't word it well, and I did not mean "sin" was a mistranslation (just giving my interpretation of "sin" in the verse).

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then, how can anyone truthfully say it's incorrect ?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The LXX was written before Christ (during the Ptolemaic reign). Fragments exist from this period (3rd century BC), but we do not have complete copies that old.

We know that there were revisions - the most well known being are Aqualua (128 AD) and Theodotion. The revisions were to being the LXX closer to the literal Hebrew.

The point being that the 1st Century Jew (many of whom did not speak Hebrew) had a Greek translation of Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 3:23. 'For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.' Falling short is one aspect of missing the mark. But in fact hamartia has a wide semantic range as you will find if you look it up in a Greek lexicon. However, you cannot show me where it means 'sin offering.'
    No it isn't, and we don't agree, as well you know. Christ the sinless one is made sin; we the sinful ones are made righteousness in Him. Our sins were laid upon Him and He experienced the condemnation and the punishment of them; His righteousness is imputed to us that we may be freed from that condemnation and punishment (Romans 8:1etc.).
    No it isn't.
    No you are not. See above.
    [QUOTER] The difference is I am saying Paul is using a legitimate, although archaic to the 1st Century, definition that the people in Corinth would be familiar with via literature.[/QUOTE]
    You are saying that Paul would be bamboozling the people of Corinth by using the same word with two different meanings in the same sentence.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are saying that Paul would be bamboozling the people of Corinth by using the same word with two different meanings in the same sentence.[/QUOTE]
    You are being obscure here.

You know I take a literal approach to Scripture. Perhaps that is where we are missing one another.

I will restate my view and then post what I understand of your view so that you can clarify and correct where I misunderstood you.

My view:

I believe "sin" in both instances as used in 2 Cor 5:21 (For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.) is a good translation.

I note that hamartia is used in the LXX in reference to sin offerings (over 100 times).

I note that the hamartia is used in Greek literature (originating with Aristotle but continuing throughout Greek literature....hence the term "hamartia" in drama even outside of Greek literature) to describe a tragic event brought on by an inner (often spiritual, often noble) trait.

I noted that Homer used hamartia to mean "missing the mark" in writing of battles.

I noted that 1st Century Judaisn also held hamartia to be an error, or disobedience to God.

Then I said I interpret "sin" in the passage (the second instance) as meaning a sin offering in that Jesus became man, became a curse for us, and bore our sins.

Your view as I understand it

You reject any definition of "sin" except "missing the mark" (at least in this passage).

You believe Christ was made to "miss the mark" in terms of righteousness.

But you seem to reject that Jesus was literally made evil, disobedient, ect. In reality, you reject that Jesus actually "missed the mark".

But you are unable to provide examples in the NT where hamartia is used to indicate anything but literally missing the mark.

Where we seem to disagree:

If I understand you correctly, we disagree in that I do not believe Jesus missed the mark. I do not believe there was any unrighteousness in Christ.

But, I assume you are taking hamartia here to mean something different from any legitimate definition of the word (and unstated in the passage).

That said, you seem to avoid clarity. You offer a definition (missing the mark, or falling short) but then explain that definition away.

Where you can help

Fill in the blank with your definition of "sin"

Jesus was made (sin) __________.

Unless, of course, you believe that Christ was literally made to be a sinner, made evil, made unrighteous.

9. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like that will make some preaching that will ring your joy-bells.

'Reckoned" a transgressor and a sinner or "numbered with" the transgressors,
    before and on the cross, but was not a transgressor and a sinner, just "reckoned" one, or countered as one, by others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not being obsure at all. If you believe that the Lord Jesus was made a 'sin offering,' then either you believe that He 'knew no sin offering' which makes no sense, or you believe that Paul was bamboozling the Corinthians by using the same word with two diffferent meanings in the same sentence. Which is it?
    I know that you say you do.
    I note that hamartia is used in the LXX in reference to sin offerings (over 100 times). [/QUOTE] So does the second appearance of hamartia mean 'sin' or 'sin offering' in your opinion? If the former, as you say here, how do you define the sin that our Lord was made?
    Aristotle wrote around 100 years after the great Greek tragedians, Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides. He wrote that a tragic hero should be a good man, brought down by a single fault or 'tragic flaw.' I believe he used the word hamartia Thus, in Shakespeare, Othello is a great man brought down by his suspicion of his wife Desdemona, and Macbeth is brought down by his listening to his wife. In Greek tragedy, many heroes are brought down by hubris, self-sufficiency or a pride in one's own ability that causes one to ignore the gods. Thus Oedipus is a good man brought down by by hubris when he ignores the advice of his wife/mother Jocasta and Teiresias the blind seer (pun intended).

So to Aristotle, hamartia was a general word for any sin, error or disobedience that caused one to fall short or miss the mark set by the gods.
    You may very well be right. After 50 years, I don't remember. That seems to be the etymological meaning of the word. But Homer was writing 300 years before the Tragedians and 400 years before Aristotle. Words change their meaning over time.
    Yes, I agree. Anything that misses the mark or standard of God's righteousness.
    So you don't understand the second usage of hamartia to mean sin despite what you wrote above. Thank you for clarifying. There is a vast difference between a 'sin' and a 'sin offering.' Surely even you can see that?
    Not at all. 'Error' or 'disobedoence' work fine for me. As I said before, the semantic range of hamartia is rather large. Do you want me to copy and paste a Greek lexicon to save you looking it up? It is a general word for sin. But any sin is to miss the mark of God's righteousness unless you use the word as 'Weight-watchers' do and define it as eating a cream bun
    Absolutely not as you know perfectly well. Where have I stated that the Lord Jesus ever 'missed the mark'? Nowhere at all.
    Of course I do. You need to stop being silly, not to say, offensive.
    You haven't asked me to. But I repeat, hamartia is a general word for sins; therefore it covers sins of omission and commission, sins of the body, of the tongue or of the mind, one-off sins, besetting sins - anything that falls short of God's standards. If you can think of a sin that does not fall short of God's standards, just let me know.
    You misunderstand totally, and, I suspect, intentionally. There was no unrighteousness in Christ. This is one area where we agree.
    You are misunderstanding - deliberately since I have explained repeatedly over at least five years. Christ was not made a sinner; He was made sin. What does that mean? I have repeatedly quoted Isaiah 53:6 and 1 Peter 2:24. All the sins of His people were laid upon Him and He bore them as if they were His own. You are acting as if this is something new, something unheard of before. But you know perfectly well that my view is one that has been, and is, held by millions of Bible-believing Christians, though evidently not by you.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. I believe words have a range of meanings and this based on context.

Do I believe Christ was, as you insist, made to miss the mark of righteousness? No. I believe that is blasphemy against the Son (God is never made unrighteous. He is never made to "miss the mark").

So how was God made sin?

I believe God was "made sin" by offering Himself as a guilt offering, taking on what it is to be man, becoming a curse for us, and bearing our sins on the Cross so that in Him we might be the righteousness of God.

This is what Christians have believed throughout history.

God simply did not literally "miss the mark" of what it is to be righteous, to be Holy.

God IS righteous (never made to "miss the mark" in terms of righteousness).

To be fair, I know you will object. But that is because you are trying to obscure the fact that you are treating "sin" differently in the passage by taking one literally and the other to represent how the Father viewed Christ (I know, even though you claim here that Christ was "made to miss the mark" you teach another view elsewhere).

12. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC
    Will you please add the quotation marks to your post above as I find it difficult to make sense of it?

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. I cleaned it up for you.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Martin Marprelate

I'll make it simple.

You do not take "sin" in the passage literally. You don't interpret both instances the same.

You define "sin" as "missing the mark".

But you change the meaning of Christ becoming sin to "our sins were laid upon Him and He experienced the condemnation and the punishment of them".

Where else in the NT is hamartia to mean "our sins being laid upon another, and that other experiencing the condemnation and punishment for them"?

You define the second hamartia in the verse as a metaphor for your theological position.

That is fine. BUT the issue is hamartia is not used elsewhere in the NT in that way. Hamartia is also not defined that way in the Greek language.

If Paul is using hamartia as a metaphor then I believe he is using it as a metaphor for something already stated in Scripture (the Servant offering Himself as a sin offering, bearing our sins, becoming a curse for us). This is also a legitimate use of hamartia in the Greek language (concluding in Christ's death).

Your "definition" (a description of what you believe was done to Christ) is a metaphor unrelated to an actual definition of hamartia and unstated in the text of Scripture itself.

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I am saying that the One who never sinned, who never 'missed the mark' of God's righteousness became the very essence of sin when all our 'mark missings,' all our sins and iniquities were laid upon Him, and that this was done 'for us.' The apostle is writing, 'Not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.' This seems to be beyond you. 'Sin' is being compared with 'righteousness.' Why aren't you insisting that we are made a 'righteousness offering' of God?
    But Christ is made sin; we are made righteousness, and the righteousness of God at that, in Him. Take your earthbound, 'literal' spectacles off for a moment and look again with spiritual eyes, because this is the most wonderful thing that could be imagined! That God Himself, in the Person of Christ should bear our sins and the curse attached to them to the cross and pay the awful penalty for them that the law demands.
    Well, I Peter 2:24 comes to mind immediately. .I might add that Peter quotes from or references Isaiah 53 in vs. 22, 23 & 25, so it was obviously in the mind of the Holy Spirit when Peter wrote the verse.
    No, you are doing that.
    Yes it is. 1 Peter 2:24.
    But tell me: Galatians 3:13 tells us that Christ became a curse for us. How, literally, does anyone become a 'curse'? Or do you believe that He became a 'curse offering,' whatever that might be?
    To prove that you would need to have read every piece of Greek literature ever written. Somehow I doubt you have done that.
    Had he wished to do that he would have written prosphera peri hamartias, which actually means 'sin offering, as the writer to the Hebrews did, or maybe even have shortened it to peri hamartias as the writers of the LXX appear to have done. But to say that 'God made Him who knew no sin offering to be a sin offering for us' makes no sense.
    If it was not done to Christ, then we are all still in our sins. If our sins were not imputed to Him, then He didn't bear them; if He didn't bear them then God is not propitiated towards us; if God is not propitiated towards us, then we are still under the curse of Gal. 3:13.

May I encourage you, and any others patient enough to wade through this correspondence, to read my post #8 All through our Lord's sufferings, the concept of substitution runs like a wonderful golden thread.

I shall be busy over the next two weeks, with sermons (where I shall be teaching the blessed doctrine of Penal Substitution), Bible studies, prayer meetings and fellowship meetings. Therefore I will not have much time to give to the BB. But this is too important a matter to leave, so I shall return to it when I have time.

#95 Martin Marprelate, Feb 26, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is garbage and unworthy of any reply. You know exactly what I believe and you know that my belief was shared by Bunyan, Whitefield, Spurgeon and a host of other great men whom you have just slagged off as being blasphemers. Shame on you!

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying.

My point is that you objected to my definition of hamartia (which is a literal definition of the word in the Greek language) noting that (while not inaccurate to other passages) hamartia was not used that way elsewhere in the NT nor with the instance immediately prior.

The problem is that your definition is also not used that way elsewhere in the NT, nor is that what the word meant immediately prior, AND it is not used with that meaning in the Greek language.

Unlike viewing hamartia here as speaking of the death due by Christ giving Himself as a sin offering, bearing our sins, becoming a curse (a literal meaning of hamartia) you si.ply insist it carries the archaic meaning of "missing the mark" snd then you explain away that definition.

I'm fine with your view, BTW. I believe it is wrong, and of course problematic as when you abandon what is actually written in Scripture you can substitute any theology for actual words.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do believe great men have blasphemed the Son. But it is out of ignorance and they can be forgiven.

If Spurgeon, Whitefield, ect. claimed that God literally became evil (sin) then they are guilty of blasphemy.

That said, I don't know they actually taught that Jesus Christ "missed the mark" or was literally made to "miss the mark".

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Martin Marprelate

I should have asked this earlier as I am curious.

Is there a reason not to take hamartia literally in the passage (i.e., not to use a definition for the word to speak of other passages)?

The reason I ask is you substitute a theology of the cross for "sin" yet complain when I define "sin" as hamartia in secular Greek to convey actual passages.

20. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't believe that you are asking me AGAIN to give my reasons for translating hamartia as 'sin.' I have given you several reasons three or four times on this very thread. Before I waste my time re-writing what I have already given you, will you please promise not to ask me for them again if I do so? I am very busy and don't have time to spare.

With reference to taking hamartia literally, I translate it as 'sin.' With reference to 'metaphorical' interpretations, are you not aware that the Bible is choc-a-bloc full of figurative language, including metaphors? Or do you believe that King Herod was a canine with a bushy tail (Luke 13:32), that a man really does have to enter his mother's womb a second time and be born (John 3:4) and that communion bread really is our Lord's body (Mark 14:22 etc.)?

As well as metaphors, the Bible contains metonymies, syndoches, similies, allegories, ellipses, brachology, zeugma, euphemism, litotes, meiosis, irony, epizeuxis, anacolutha and hyperbole, not to mention constructio praegnans.

In short, there is figurative language all over the Bible. 'This finds its explanation partly in the inability to describe heavenly things in literal language, partly in the Oriental's preference for plastic and pictorial representation, and partly in a desire for variety and literary beauty' Louis Berkhof: 'Principles of Biblical Interpretation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.