1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

how to know you're really saved?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Sep 4, 2004.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In previous posts I have explained grace and faith thoroughly to you. In this last post I gave you my testimony. A testimony is usually given in the first person singular.
    DHK

2. Janosik

Janosik New Member

DHK,

do you agree that your testimony is not a proof of your salvation?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"Jesus loves me, This I know.
    For the Bible tells me so."

"Amazing grace how sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me.
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    was blind, but now I see."
    --John Newton (former slave trader)

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

One of the proofs of salvation is a changed life.
    My experience at salvation changed me forever. It changed the course of events in my life. I was saved when I was 20. I stopped doing the things that I was involved in. Instead I got involved in Bible studies, Scripture memorization, witnessing, fellowship with other believers. My life was radically changed.
    My career changed. I left the career that I had studied for and graduated from college in. Soon after I went to Bible College, where God called me to preach. After graduating and working a few years in the pastorate, the Lord called me to leave all and go to the foreign mission field.

Was my testimony a proof of my salvation? Absolutely.
    DHK

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is this a fair bible based statement?

If you do not know if you are saved, then you are not.

God Bless!

5. Janosik

Janosik New Member

I would like to point out that everything that is being said here about our salvation stands on faith. If we like it or not.

How do we know that Buddhism is not right? How do we know that Judaism is not right? The Holy Spirit gives us faith that the Bible (especially NT) represents God's word and it is truth. This is the faith. This is my point that 'I believe I am saved' is more accurate than 'I am saved' and 'I believe Jesus Christ is Son of God and His saving work saves me' is even more accurate. When you say 'I am saved' there are some assumptions behind that are not said and those assumtpions stand on faith. It appears we take it for granted that the Bible is truth.

Having said that let's go back to the discussion about 'being saved'.

Steaver,

you said:
    Do you know somebody who lived as 'saved' and then fits this description: 'Maybe he/she was not ever REALLY saved'? I believe the answer will be yes. Based on that I see two possible scenarios:
    1. The person was not REALLY saved and the person boasted that was saved. If there is one person like that then anybody who says 'I am saved' could boast. If there is one person that failed to determine properly that he/she is saved how do you know that it's not going to be you next one who fails.
    2. The 'saved' does not encompass 'will be saved'. It kind of makes sence because we are limited in our bodies and time and we don't know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Your thoughts?

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Do you believe Paul's testimony?
    Can it apply to you?

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not sure I am understanding your statement here.

What is the "description" you are speaking of? If it is the "opinion" part 'maybe they were never really saved' then that holds no merit. We do not hold the power to investigate each and every believers heart to such a final authoritive degree. We can know those who are the very closest to us, but not each and every professor of faith in Jesus Christ.

As for each person knowing for themselves if they are saved, they know they are saved because....

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God" (Ro 8:16)

If the Witness is in you, how could you ever cease believing and fail?

I asked you before, what do you understand is the biblical definition of "born again"?

God Bless! [​IMG]

8. Janosik

Janosik New Member

DHK,

I believe Paul's testimony. It shows how strong his faith grew.

Steaver,

anybody can fail if a person does not allow the Witness to talk or there are some other circumstances that prevent that.

My understanding is that you are 'born again' when you become 'a child of God'. This is the best figurative description. If a newborn child is left on it's own, it's not being fed the child will die. If a 'born again', 'saved' (meaning you past the point when you accepted Jesus Christ as your saviour, you remember exact day) stops reading the Bible and stops praying what happens? A teenager can decide to leave his family and never come back. A 'born again', 'saved' decides to change his religion to Buddhism. What happens?
    If these things happen how do you explain them?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you really think that once a person becomes one of God's children, that God the Father will just allow him to die??
    "Consider the lilies of the field..."
    DHK

10. Janosik

Janosik New Member

DHK,

what happens if 'saved' person stops reading/studying the Bible and stops praying?

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly corrupt: who can know it?

2 Corinthians 5:17 Wherefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature: the old things are passed away; behold, they are become new.

What if...
    There are many "what if's" in this world. There are many people who needlessly conjecture. The Lord knows them that are His--the saved. The heart is deceitful, and we cannot always tell who is not saved and who is. It is not always our job to do so, but rather to be faithful to the Word of God, and to make sure of our own salvation, and that our heart is right before God. I cannot speak for others, but I know that I am saved.

The Bible calls us to be fruit inspectors. "By their fruit ye shall know them (Mat.7:20). It is likely that a person who has no interest in prayer and the Word of God has never been saved in the first place. The Word of God says about a Christian "old things are passed away, behold all things are become knew."
    DHK

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Janosik,

What DHK has said here is very sound biblical logic. You must reason with the scriptures.

You said....

Reason your own statement out here. (paraphrasing) You said, If the newborn is left on it's own. Stop right there. A new born child of God is given the Holy Spirit, it is not left alone, otherwise it would die as you said. The comparason is flawed.

You said, If it is not being fed it will die. Again, it is being fed by the Holy Spirit. Reason this out. Can a new born baby survive without someone else feeding it? Can the new born baby feed itself? No, it is helpless and fully dependent on another.

Jesus' analogy of being born is perfectly flawless. It takes away man's self preservation theology. Just as a new born baby cannot feed itself nor sustain it's own life, neither can a born-again child of God sustain itself nor feed itself without God, the Holy Spirit indwellment.

I have a sustaining flow of spiritual food from within me via the Holy Spirit. Whether or not I ever read a bible or not, I am continually fed by God through the Spirit. The fruits of the Spirit will flow from with in me. The Spirit will sustain my life forever. Many Christians throughout the world never get to read and study the written scriptures. They are sustained by the Holy Spirit within them.

I can be a good child or a not so good child. But always a child! Just as I can never cease to be my earthly father's child, I can never cease to be my heavenly Father's child. Jesus used the perfect analogies throughout scripture. The relationship that a Father has with it's children. The seed cannot be broken!

God Bless! [​IMG]

13. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Was the Holy Spirit inside all the people that ever walked the Earth?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

15. Janosik

Janosik New Member

DHK,

was the Holy Spirit inside all the people that ever walked the Earth?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No. That is why Jesus said: "You must be born again."
    All people are born of the flesh.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

But not all people are born of the Spirit.

Therefore: Ye must be born again.
    DHK

17. Janosik

Janosik New Member

DHK,

who can be born again? What is exactly the point that you are born again? Is it a ceremony? You said you remember the day, ...
    I am sorry if it sounds trivial to you but I am trying to understand this concept as I stated at the beginning of the thread.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Who can be born again? Any person can be born again. "God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." (2Pt.3:9).
    To be born again is to be saved. It is an event in one's life. There is no such thing as one who is born a Christian, i.e., a Christian from birth. One cannot be a Christian simply because they were born into a Christian family. One is not a Christian because they have been baptized or because they are a member of a church.

Jesus, in John chapter 3, was telling Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews, a teacher and Rabbi, that inspite of all of his teaching and religion, he had to be born again or he could not enter into the kingdom of God. Nicodemus was confused. He said in verse 4:
    "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?"

Nicodemus, by his answer, was confused. How can one be born when he is old? Perhaps he was thinking of something like reincarnation. We are not quite sure. But Jesus explains further what it means to be born again.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

There are two kinds of birth. Every person is born of the flesh--born physically. That is how we all got into this world. That is an event isn't it? Every person is born once, but not every person is born twice. Jesus said you must be born again. You must be born of the Spirit. Being born of the Spirit is the second birth. Not every one is born of the Spirit.

To be born of the Spirit I must come to Jesus Christ as a sinner. Admit that I have sinned and offended a holy God. Sin has separated us from God.
    "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life" (Rom.6:23).

A wage is something I deserve. I deserve death, not just physical death, but eternal death--separation from God forever. That is my wage, that which I deserve because of my sin.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    --God demonstrated his love toward us in that while we were still sinners He died and paid the penalty that we deserve. The penalty of eternal death, the penalty for my sins--Jesus paid it all. He paid it with his blood when He died on the cross. It was the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that provided a way of salvation for us.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    --If I simply believe in that sacrifice and call upon the Lord Jesus as my Lord, He will save me, and give me the free gift of eternal life, and forgiveness of sins. I will become one of his children.

John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

You must receive him as your Saviour. "As many as received him" to them gave he power to become the "sons of God" even to them that "beleive" on his name. Believing is having faith. Salvation is by grace through faith. It is provided by the grace of God, accepted by faith. By faith in the sacrifice of Christ, I am made His child; I am born into His family; I am born again.

"Which were born not of blood" One is not born into God's family by being born into a Christian family. It is not a blood relationship. It is a spiritual relationship.

"Which were born not of the will of the flesh" There is nothing that I can do of my own desires (like good works, reformation, etc.) that can save me. Salvation is by the grace of God. I can't add to by anything that I do in my flesh. It is not by the will of the flesh.

"Which were born not of the will of the man" It is not by man's will that one is born again. In other word's if man baptizes you as an infant that won't save you. If another man confirms you, forgives your sins, acts on your behalf, etc. it won't help.

"but are born of God" You must be born of God. You must be born again. You must be born into God's family. You must trust Christ as your Saviour. There must be a time and place in your life when you came to Christ, admitted to him that you were a sinner, in need of a Saviour, and called out in prayer for Christ to save you and come into your heart and forgive your sins and grant you His free gift of eternal life.

If you have never done that you need to be saved. You need to be born again. You need to pray and trust Christ as your Saviour. That is what it means to be born again. When a person is saved, they are born into God's family. I did that when I was 20 years old, on Oct 20 about 8:00 p.m. when at the Univeristy campus. Ever since that time I have known for sure that I have been saved, and on my way to heaven. I have no doubts about my salvation and that I am a child of God.
    DHK

19. Janosik

Janosik New Member

DHK,

the faith is yours or it's given to you by the Holy Spirit?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 16:7-11 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
    8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
    9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
    10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
    11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

John 6:28-29 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
    29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

The Holy Spirit does His work in convicting the sinner of sin. When the Bible says believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, that is a step you must take. God is not going to do it for you. It is your faith. You believe. Jesus called it "the work of God," and He said it is that which you must do--"believe on Him whom He hath sent." Belief (having faith) comes from you, in proportion to the word that you have heard. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. It is YOUR decision.
    DHK