1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured In search of J. J. Ray

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Mar 15, 2018.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kellogg's corn flakes.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1909 SBC Annual lists W.P. Pearce messenger from Charleston, Mo.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While Ray was likely not SDA, he came across Dr. Wilkinson's book, saw it had no USA copyright, and so decided to copy heavily from it in his own work. He didn't acknowledge Dr. W whatsoever in his book. Maybe it was legal, but was it HONEST, as a Christian should be?

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's Carl J. E. Nelson advertising in Winrod's Defender. Odd...must have had a later falling out?:

The Defender magazine

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds as if he may have had a cozy relationship with the Adventists, at least.

What is now Andrews University was started as Battle Creek College, and Benjamin Wilkinson went to school there. As rsr noted, Battle Creek is probably best known for Kellogg's Cereal -- and J. H. and W. K. Kellogg were Adventists!
    At least one piece in Word and Way mentions him as a former pastor there.
    The evidence is that he was not SDA, but I haven't yet determined what denomination he was. I don't know about copyright issues then -- maybe you have to have applied for a copyright and/or printed it in the book? (Doesn't work that way now.) But, at best, it is unethical not to give credit where credit is due, even if Ray could legally use the material.
    It just gets curiouser and curiouser! :eek:

6. OtherSideOfStory

OtherSideOfStory New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may find it interesting that Peter Ruckman went after J.J. Ray in his book "The Last Grenade" published in 1990 (see page 179). Ruckman quotes Ray as having written something along the lines of the pure Word of God being only in the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts, and actually has Ray stating at one point that "the King James Bible in English is NOT the pure word of God." However, Mr. Ruckman does not even quote a source. Very unscholarly of "Dr" Ruckman to allege that with no source, but with Ruckman's reputation, it should be no surprise.

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there could have been only two possible sources -- God Wrote Only One Bible and The Eye Opener (tract). That's the only things written by J. J. Ray, as far as I know.

The following quotes from God Wrote Only One Bible would represent something Ruckman wouldn't agree with, I'm sure:

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No escaping the fact that Ray, in his book, God Wrote Only One Bible, legally plagiarized from 7TH DAY ADVENTIST Dr, Ben Wilkinson's 1930 book, Our Authorized Bible Vindicated, unashamedly, without acknowledging Dr. W whatsoever. legal or not, this was still DISHONEST, & GOD does not work that way!

And Dr. D. O. Fuller, who published Which Bible? in 1970, copied from both Dr. W and Ray. While he acknowledged Dr. W, he was careful not to mention Dr. W's CULT AFFILIATION in his work.

So we see the current KJVO myth had both a cultic and dishonest man-made origin.

But I appreciate the work of all the posters in this thread to reveal something about the mysterious J. J. Ray, as he apparently was a "one-hit-wonder", with whatever other boox he mighta written being mostly unknown.

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if we ignore KJVO that predates Wilkinson, Ray, and Fuller, such as the Mates Creek District Association of Old Regular Baptists in 1905 stating in their Abstract of Principles “that the Scriptures of the Old Testament and New Testament, as translated under the reign of King James, are a revelation from God, inspired by the Holy Ghost.”
    I'm pretty sure the tract and book are all that he wrote, but something else might come to light in the future.