Is Cal/Non-Cal important enough to divide?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Feb 24, 2012.

1. seekingthetruth New Member

I havent insulted your pastor or your kin?????

But mine have been insulted on here.

John

2. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not by me brother.... Listen I am just going to cut this off with something I want us all to think about because as followers of Christ we are to glorify & love Him, however a combative disposition seeks glory for no one but self.

I'm not doing that & I hope you don't either.

3. quantumfaith Active Member

You should try listening to some of Andy Stanley's messages. We just completed a series titled "Big Church". Very profound and motivating.

4. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well every Calvinist I ever met at Baptist Board leans on his own understanding. They are always talking about their interpretation and what is logical. They also assume I do the same although I've told them I lean on God.

A dogma is merely being convinced, unmovable, of certain precepts. If you're willing to give up your precepts you could not have thought to much about them to begin with. Actually Calvinist, (at least the ones I've met here), are very dogmatic.

I'm just as dogmatic as any Calvinist and I do not see how there could ever be unity between freewill and non freewill. They are exact opposites. The only thing we have in Common is we both claim Christ is our Salvation. Catholics believe this as well, yet I'm totally against ecumenism. I would not compromise to be in unity with anyone and sooner or later just like here at Baptist board there would be arguments.

Calvinist may consider what they believe to be religion but I do not. I consider mine a relationship. A religion is about performing certain things religiously over and over. I believe Christ hated tradition as do I. Tradition becomes stagnate and repetitive and there fore meaningless.

Unity seems like a great idea but, Christ did not bring us unity. Instead He brought us division and true unity will not come until Christ comes again.
    MB

5. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My priority is to find a solid church or build one. BTW who is Andy Stanley? Honestly never heard of him.

6. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They would need converting now...heathen christians:thumbs:

Winman...i agreed with the one verse you did not take out of context:laugh:

Yes seeking.....your comment that calvinism is from the Pit...is an edifying idea.....that really closes the gap......like i predicted snide remarks...no scripture...then run for the hills:laugh:

7. 12strings Active Member

John, I think need to come to term with the fact that there are thousands of "regular" christians who happen to agree with the primary tenets of Calvinism when it comes to soteriology. We may not have an answer to every objection (though some may seem to think they do), but many of us, like me, simply have not heard a convincing argument against individual election, and so when we see verses that seem to say God chooses who will be saved (like those I posted on this thread: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=75006&highlight=calvinism )
    ...We have to say, "I believe that, those verses seem to say God Chooses (individually) who will be saved."

If it is a lie from the pit of hell, it has been a lie believed by some undeniably godly preachers and theologians thought he ages of the church, Just as the opposite view has motivated some great evangelistic work though the ages of the church.

There ARE Biblical verses that seem to support Calvinism, just as there are biblical verses that seem to refute it. The view one takes on this issue (on either side) does not necessarily mean they should be relegated to the fringes and considered outside "normal" Christianity.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=75006&highlight=calvinism

8. convicted1 Guest

Name your new church MUSTANG:

Men
    Under
    Sovereign
    Triune
    All-knowing
    Noble
    God

9. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MB, are you a pastor of a church?

10. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea... LOL, I can see the commentary now, all centered around the "Mustang Ranch" house of prostitution in Nevada. Riiiiight! :laugh:

11. convicted1 Guest

Ooops! I forgot about that ranch. I have a feeling they have a bigger following than most.....

12. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poppy, define "normal" Christianity for me would ya....and take your time on it....you must be tired.:laugh:

13. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you speaking about the Church or the Brothel :smilewinkgrin:

14. convicted1 Guest

Which one do you think I mean? :smilewinkgrin:

15. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ahhh just some fun at your expense.....:love2:

16. convicted1 Guest

How about FORD?

For
    Only
    Reformed
    Doers

17. quantumfaith Active Member

18. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

No, actually I am strong in my theological beliefs and think very much about them. But when we go beyond the gospel into matters of reasoning – this is not something to become dogmatic about when encountering those who will not accept your theories.

Theological systems, such as Calvinism and Arminianism, are exactly what they say they are – theological systems. Theology incorporates Scripture, but also reasoning in their interpretation and use of scripture. Through our reason we “fill in the blanks.” While Calvinism may represent the gospel, it is not itself the gospel but a understanding of how God effects salvation. I hold to a Reformed faith which I may even term Calvinism, if it were not for Calvinists. I owe nothing to a theological system, whatever it is, but everything to Christ.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cart...tart=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=67&ty=81

In my church, people disagree on many topics (Calvinistic views included), but somehow we seem to learn from each other and remain united in Christ. Unfortunately there is very little in many of these posts that even have the slightest hint of Christ’s love.

So, yes, a dogma is merely being convinced, unmovable, of certain precepts. Being dogmatic is holding to these precepts as above reproach. These precepts had better, then, be the gospel as presented in Scripture (not necessarily your understanding, but the fundamental meaning).

19. jonathan.borland Active Member

Would Paul be combative if people were trying to get people to join the "I am of Calvin" camp? The fact that we call those who are not of that camp things like non-Cal speaks for itself. Many Calvinists are on a mission to promote or focus on certain doctrines above or at the expense of all the others. Just see where certain people focus all their posts. They are, as Iconoclast said but in the opposite direction, neglecting the whole council of God. Non Cals explain each and every Scripture the Cals bring up, and I believe with the proper interpretation. No need to lambast them and impute impure motives to them. Shame on you! How divisive! In fact the Scripture does speak to the issues of those who are divisive: have nothing to do with them (1 Pet 3:10).

20. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul was very combative when some sought to mix works with grace ...as several do here on BB;

I would suggest to you that Paul was very combative when semi -pelagians sought to pervert the gospel. let them be accursed...is not a blessing, or call to unity. There can be no unity with error.
    Doctrine is given to bring unity....when doctrine is perverted...no unity can take place....ONLY ERROR.....or COMPROMISE.

This is not so. calvinists speak to the complete 66 books of scripture.
    have you ever seen a confession of faith;
    http://www.vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc00.html
    what did they leave out?

Give an example to support your allegation.

really.....look at what was brought up in this thread alone...no scripture...just evil speaking saying calvinist teaching is from hell{no impure motives there}:thumbs: