Is the pendulum swinging in a different direction?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Aug 14, 2017.

?

Do you have a private, prayer language?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2019.
  1. Yes ...

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No ...

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. I do have a prayer language, but fear the wrath of others, so I keep it to myself!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no evidence at all that Paul meant anything other than languages--at a minimum he knew Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, Latin. In the research I have done, I have never found a secular passage (certainly not a bible passage) where he Greek word glossa, used here, meant unarguably anything other than known languages.

I challenge you to find a secular Greek source or author where glossa means some kind of ecstatic prayer language--perhaps in the Greek mystery religions?

2. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the Charismatic movement produces very few genuine scholars (Grudem is the exception, and he's Vineyard--so no tongues), because when you view the tongues passages in Greek the way Tom has done, and the historic evidence, you have to realize that ecstatic tongues is a modern phenomenon not covered in the Bible, and not found in church history. I teach church history, and have yet to uncover unknown tongues even among the Montanists of the 2nd century.

3. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You then have a lot of non Baptists in the SBC.
    "While the majority of Southern Baptist leaders do not practice or accept charismatic practices, Baptists are split on the issue and SBC president Frank Page also recognized and let stand the varying interpretations within the denomination.

"because I do believe there are varying interpretations, I believe it is okay to believe one way or the other," said Page."

Fortunately Frank Page says you don't get to decide who is and who is not a Baptist, well a Southern Baptist anyway.

4. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think Charismatics wrote the notes in the Nelson NKJV study Bible, or the Holman KJV study Bible, and probably not the Life application study Bible.

5. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Charismatics are not usually the goto scholars in evangelicalism. As an academic I'm familiar with who is writing in the academic journals, etc. The leaders of evangelical scholarship, with the exception of Wayne Grudem, are not Charismatics. And Grudem, as noted above, is a Vineyard guy, and they do not emphasize tongues.

6. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Greek scholar friend of mine just shot me a note about Chrysostom's (347-407) comments on 1 Cor. 12-14. He plainly stated that it was difficult to teach on tongues since that ended long ago.

So, in the 2-5th centuries there were no tongues speaking churches. Either the early Christians knew better than the modern Pentecostals and Charismatics, or somehow the Church has been messed up for 19 centuries, missing out on tongues.

If anyone doubts what I'm saying, here's a great article on it: A Critical Look at Tongues and Montanism. The author makes the great point that Eusebius does not use the term glossa, which is the term used in the Bible. So very obviously--to me--the babblings of the Montanists was not like modern tongues, but just speaking stupid things.

8. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a huge mistake. Tongues speakers are causing devastation among Baptist churches on the mission fields of the world, including Japan (where tongues speakers attacked my church 3 times) and Africa, where I've been.

9. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their babblings were just saying stupid things? Should we invite them to the Baptist Board? They would have a lot of company! :D :D :D

10. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see Gordon Fee mentioned every now and then. Where does he fit in (his scholarship and view on sign gifts)?

11. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine (who just passed away) was a long time missionary to Kenya in East Africa. In his decades there he planted over two dozen baptist churches and founded two bible institutes to train indigenous people for ministry.

Not only were they attacked by the tongues speakers, one of the pastor/teachers at one of the bible institutes was beaten so badly he will never fully recover and at least two of the church buildings were burned down.

We don't often see it in this country, but once a person opens their heart to such error, and starts to think "I have something they don't have" - which eventually morphs into "Because I have something they don't have I am superior to them" which then leads to "Because I am superior to them they are inferior to me and therefore must be blaspheming the Holy Spirit so I have the right to attack them." And the next thing we see is churches burned down, pastors beaten, and sooner or later, killed.

And they call themselves "Christians." Which means "Christ-like." :(

12. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have hit the nail squarely on the head! Man, have we read some stupid things here. :Biggrin

13. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fee is an atypical Pentecostal. He disagrees with the AOG on the "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" but he also claims that the manifestation of the sign gifts can be defended on exegetical grounds. (But I have never seen such a defense.)

His main problem is a lack of specificity. He talks about the Holy Spirit empowering the believer for life and service, but fails to specify what he means by "empowering." Empowering like the indwelling/leading of the HS, which we all believe, or does he mean the babbling and excesses we see in Pentecostalism and the Charismatic movement. :(

14. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very sad. And this story has been repeated over and over in countless churches.

I have a little book, I Once Spoke in Tongues, by ex-Pentecostal preacher Wayne Robinson. He tells the story who was pastoring a church of 600 members. Only 150 spoke in tongues, so he split the church and started a new one with them. "When the group leader queried him about his responsibility to the rest of the church, he answered that he was sorry, but they were resisting the work of the Holy Spirit" (p. 71).

15. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I refer you to Tom's excellent answer. I have to go meet my son at the airport now. Toodleoo.

16. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The perfect revelation is not the canon of scripture as Paul was not addressing textual revelation. The perfect revelation is Jesus himself.
    The canon is a reach at best.

17. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not arguing in favor of an unknown language. I have always considered the gift of tongues to be the miraculous ability to communicate with an unreached people group for the function of glorifying God by revealing Jesus as Redeemer.

18. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context is revelation. Dance around all you want, but the context is revelation.

Jesus is nowhere to be found in the context. Nowhere. Never mentioned.

Remember the three rules for understanding the bible.

1. Context
    2. Context
    3. Context

Oh, and did I mention "context?"

You can't just suck this stuff out of your thumb. :)

19. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed, context, context, context...and the canon was not even established or considered by Paul in this context. Therefore your theory must be wrong.

20. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a way for missionaries to reach the unreached in their own language. It is called "Language School." Ask John about it.