Is the Pope as he claims “God on Earth”.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So...the group makes up a pantheon of God and takes God's place on Earth?

That is an amazingly prideful and arrogant claim by Rome.

Of course, there is zero biblical support for their claim. It's the equivalent of Muhammed or Joseph Smith claiming to be the last great prophet of God just because they say so and they can convince a bunch of ignorant people to believe them.

What a great delusion your leaders have created for you.

2. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Be careful, SDA folks don't seem to last long on this board. You folks are good for awhile but then you lose control and poof! - you are gone.

3. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey, how many people did your Oliver Cromwell and his henchmen kill?

4. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it plus or minus inquisition?

5. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

FYI, Leo XIII did not speak nor write his apostolic letter in the Queen's English. Rather, he spoke Italian and Latin and the apostolic letter you completely misquoted (deceptively I presume) was written in Latin. One of the beautiful things about the Latin language is that it is dead and hence its meaning does not change or evolve like modern language.

Hence, his words, "Nobis, velut itinere devio, digredientem. — Iamvero, cum Dei omnipotentis vices in terris geramus..." leave no doubt the WE (nobis) are the audience to whom he is addressing his letter: the bishops of the Catholic world.

Also, this is a classic example of "When control-v paste jobs go bad" as the letter is all about...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...the desire for UNITY between the Eastern schismatic Church with that of the Catholic Church.

---> Praeclara gratulationis (20 Iunii 1894) | LEO XIII

Christians would point to the fact that God is a plurality of Persons; what we call the Trinity. Hence the use of "OUR" by God.

6. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I surrender. You are definitely the Straw Man champion. I hereby officially crown you.

The Church's authority comes from Jesus Christ.

This is Christianity 101.

7. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I quoted you. That's not a strawman.

Nope. Rome gets no authority from Jesus. It speaks a different gospel than Jesus.
    Rome is certainly not Christianity 101. It's catechism 2000+.

8. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I find arguing with people about this is a lost cause for three reasons. First, they always grossly exaggerate figures. Secondly, they are simply ignorant and just post control-v paste jobs from anti-Catholic web sites. Lastly, they view history through the biased lens of a person living in the 21st century.

If anyone would actually do some homework, they would know the Church had no authority to execute anyone for heresy. Rather, in medieval Europe, the state ruled by what they believed were Divine right (even Protestant sovereigns). Therefore the state enacted laws stating that heresy was an act of sedition, which was therefore punishable as a capital crime. (Even in a few Western countries today, sedition is still punishable as a capital crime). The Church was merely used by the State to determine if one was a heretic or not.

Capital punishment was much more widely used in the Middle Ages than it is today; thus you cannot use a 21st century juridical mindset to judge medieval Europe. If you want to discuss whether the State's prosecution of heresy was ineffective, that's a valid position (and one to which I would agree). However, that's about the extent of any argument one can put forth. However, it's an argument one would have to put forth against all states in the Middle Ages, including Protestant ones.

Baylor University's Rodney Stark (himself a Protestant) wrote a great book destroying many of these types of Protestant lies. I would strongly recommend it for anyone serious about this topic.

9. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Please quote me where I said a "group makes up a pantheon of God and takes God's place on Earth."

Post my quotation here ---> ______________________

Do that and I will rescind your Straw Man championship crown.

"...Tu est Petrus..." - Jesus

Christianity 101.

Indeed, 2000 years and counting!

10. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean to tell us that Rome had no ability to coerce the State to stop killing people?
    At best, you argue the sin of omission whereby your church purposely remained silent for its own benefit.
    No matter how you attempt to spin it, Rome acted wickedly for over a millennium.

11. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here it is:

"But since WE HOLD upon this earth the place of God Almighty,

WE hold = We = All the bishops of the world

Start rescinding.

The Latin says "Jesus Christianity 101? I think it translates to "You are Peter." That's hardly "Rome is Jesus chosen church."

A perfect example of your poor comprehension.

12. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he isn’t GOE

13. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That’s a relief. :)

14. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I don't see anywhere where I stated a group makes up a pantheon of God and takes God's place on Earth. Strike one.

Until you can quote me stating there exists a group which makes up a pantheon of God and takes God's place on Earth, you are still the Straw Man champion and are safely holding onto your crown and title.

I thought you would get the reference but it clearly went over your head. Maybe this will help...

---> "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." - Jesus

15. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for demonstrating the veracity of my post, as you made each one of my points in almost real-time.

16. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That makes it a Panthéon as I see it.

But they have another Panthéon, the Panthéon of saints. All gods in the Panthéon had a particular job so the so called saints have a particular job. A town near here, where I used to live, had two saints one of which was the patron saint of shoe makers. Many saints have since been de-saintized some because they never existed. St Denis was patron saint of Paris till they recognised that he didn't exist. He was the one who was belied to have been executed and then carried his head under his arm and carried it to the place of his burial. In France, every town and village has is patron saint or demigod watching over it, and most will have a feast day to celebrate it, the Féte Patronale.

17. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, but Cromwell was one of the most humane rulers of his time. When there was a mutiny in his army, Cromwell hung the leader and pardoned the remainder when other generals would have hung them all. When "The Fifth Monarchists" tried to overthrow him, he had them jailed in Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight. When the Catholic Charles II gained power and they tried to overthrow him, he had them hung, drawn and quartered.

At the time of Cromwell the Catholics in Ireland began a pogrom against the Protestants, where the only safe pace for protestants was Dublin. They were led by the so called priests who told those being murdered that there agonies were less that the eternal woes they would endure. They were forbidden burial (Revelation 11:9) except for the burial of the living.

18. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From History Ireland, Irelands history magazine.

"Cromwell and his supporters considered Irish Roman Catholics as little better than savages, barbarian in their lifestyle and habits and capable of appalling atrocities against Protestant settlers. They were sub-human and dangerous, and were to be treated accordingly".

It is estimated that Ireland lost 41% of it's population in the British invasion of Ireland during the years 1649-1653. The causes were the brutal warfare practiced at the time, massacres of the civilian population, and resulting disease due to the warfare.

"A loss of more than 40 per cent of the population might, however, suggest a conscious plan of elimination based on racial and religious hatred, which in other circumstances and times would rightly be called genocide. Cromwell’s murderous campaign in Ireland was fuelled by a pathological hatred of Irish Catholics, which he himself clearly expressed". How nice.

Edmund Ludlow, one of the Parliamentarian commanders in Ireland wrote that the tactics used by Cromwell at Drogheda showed "extraordinary severity". In the battle for that town, Cromwell ordered that no quarter be given, and the majority of the garrison and Catholic priests were killed.

All hail the "humane" savior Oliver Cromwell!

19. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Cromwell claim to be God on Earth, the very word of God?

20. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He obviously set himself up as God, deciding personally who would be eliminated from this earth. People like him always invoked the Almighty as they committed massacre after massacre on those with whom they disagreed with on matters of faith.