1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Nelson Darby and Pre-trib-dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not good at math? :D :D :D

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe tongue in cheek?

HankD

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better than foot in mouth. :)

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Fair to midlin. That is the reason for abut 2000!

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1000 is not "abut" 2000. :)

6. OldRegular

O' ye of little faith. I suppose you take John 6: 53ff literally also! The RC do: They make a substitution; for practical reasons I suppose!

Perhaps "iffen" you learned to read modern English your problems would diminish!

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do. I take the whole bible literally. And John 6:53 is literally employing a metaphor.

I can read Modern English quite well. And also Middle English. Old English, not so well.

I can also read Koine, Attic, and Byzantine Greek. And when I read the passages under discussion in Greek I can see where your parsing of the sentences couldn't be more wrong.

And I couldn't help but notice you managed to dodge the real issue. Is 1,000 about 2,000? Hardly. Of course, the only way you can honestly answer that is to admit you said something massively stupid. GSM! :)

8. OldRegular

Play it one more time, Sam!

Brag, brag, brag! Now what do you know about the Second Law? Of Thermodynamics that is!

I never admit to being stupid. I reaerve that right for retired religious workers workers. Don't know whether you are there yet,

9. OldRegular

Which is more correct: zero is about 2000 or 1000 is about 2000?

Just what yanked your chain.Tom?"??????????????????????????

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When is a "thousand" not a "thousand"?
    The word "thousand" is used 521 times in 395 verses, and that is only the singular form "thousand."
    How many of those times do you think it does not mean exactly one thousand?

Perhaps you will say in 2Pet.3:8?
    2Pe_3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day

But the word "thousand" is literally "thousand" as in exactly one thousand here, just as "day" is exactly "one day," as the human mind comprehends it. The trouble is that the human mind, though it can comprehend a 24 hour day, it cannot comprehend a one thousand year life span. What would it be like? Incomprehensible. This one thousand is AS a day, and a day is AS a thousand. The word "AS" indicates a simile, a figure of speech. That which is comprehensible is compared to that which incomprehensible. The finite mind cannot comprehend the infinite God, nor can he comprehend time in eternity for there will be no time. "A thousand years will be a day." There will be no time. It is hard for one to wrap their mind around it. The "thousand" is literal. The "as" makes it the phrase a figure of speech but does not take away from the literalness of the word "thousand."

There is nothing in any of the six times the word "thousand" is used in Rev.20:1-7 to indicate that it is used in any figurative or spiritual way. Thousand means thousand, exactly one thousand. Why would it mean any more or less? Six times the word thousand is used. Is there any good reason to question it? . .

11. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. Hill 1001? Not so much, right?

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am sure he does own the cattle on a thousand hills, a thousand hills and more.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    8 Therefore in one day shall her plagues come, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire; for strong is the Lord God who judged her.
    10 standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the strong city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.
    17 for in an hour so great riches is made desolate. And every shipmaster, and every one that saileth any wither, and mariners, and as many as gain their living by sea, stood afar off, Rev 18

So did it take one hour or one day to destroy the old whore?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In Revelation 20 the word "thousand" is used six times in the first seven verses. Three times with the indefinite article (in English) "a", and three times with the definite article "the" indicating a very specific time period as "The Millennial Kingdom." These facts cannot be ignored.

We are not considering the word "hour" which could refer to "the hour of thy judgment" or the time of thy judgment, or the day of thy judgment, etc. The word "hour" used in that phrase, and it is a phrase, has that meaning. The context gives it that meaning. If it didn't have that context would hour mean day??

15. OldRegular

I would say a thousand rarely means exactly 1000 whether it appears 6 times in the first seven verses or 69 times in the first 70 verses!

16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, and "must shortly come to pass" and "I come quickly" and "the time is at hand" means thousands of years and still waiting.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Rarely? Why not do a Bible Study and find out. I have already started it for you:

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are avoiding the facts, and the truth of the matter, and the subject presented before you, by trying to go down a rabbit trail.
    Look. I will post it for you:

Rev_20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    Rev_20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    Rev_20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    Rev_20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    Rev_20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
    Rev_20:7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

Demonstrate how this does not mean a thousand years.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it is figurative language in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As my original, secular, education was in Nuclear Engineering, I know a little about thermodynamics in general and a bit about the second law.

The first law of thermodynamics is about the total quantity of energy in the universe which always stays the same.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is about the quality of energy. As energy is transferred or transformed, more and more of it is wasted. The Second Law also states that there is a natural tendency of any isolated system to degenerate into a more disordered state.

If you would like to learn more we should take this private as it is massively off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.