1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jury Verdict

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Reformed1689, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y-E-S!
    This past week a 20 something women murdered - cold blood a 90 year old teacher.
    When she is convicted - I will not be out there celebrating - rather I will feel sad that the devil got to her.
    I will wonder if a local church had the opportunity to witness to her.
    I trust one of our Evangelical chaplains will have the opportunity to witness to her while in jail.
    About 5 years ago - a young mother who lived just about 3 houses from our church was murdered by her boyfriend.
    (this happen about 3 years before I became pastor). My first thought was did anybody from that church ever visit her.
    Come to find out - the answer was no.

This is a subject I have mentioned before - but I believe you are not able to forgive someone until they ask forgiveness.
    (if you wish to answer this statement about when to forgive -please start a new thread - lets not hijack this OP)

one other thing - - I wonder if the family of Floyd has apologize to the the Victims of Floyd, for the criminal acts he committed.

Saved By Grace was very wise in sharing Proverbs 24:17

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would be declaring a mistrial, and the state could then decide to redo again!

3. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're that upset that a black victim received justice?!? Very telling.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What point are you trying to make?

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no personal opinion on whether the verdict might be overturned. However, I did read this online today, showing in general odds aren't great on appeals -- across the US the success rate for appeals is about 10%. (I haven't researched that myself, so for now am taking a journalists word for it.)

6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You ask a very good question. Why would anyone be upset with justice being decided, unless there is an underlying bias involved?
    Our brother's may be blind to their bias. We may not be able to remove those scales, but their heavenly Father can remove them as he removed them from Peter and Paul.

I pray that God does a work of redemption in Mr Chauvin's life while he is in jail. Many believers go into jails and share the gospel with inmates (thank you Chuck Colson) where they come to faith. Isolation from others can bring us to God. May this happen for Me Chauvin.
    For those who gleefully celebrate over Mr Chauvin and his incarceration, I pray they will look inward and see the same corruption in their own hearts and also repent. There is no cause for joy unless it is the moment when a broken sinner believes in the shed blood of Christ for the payment of their sins and repents of their rebellion against God. At that news...we rejoice greatly as does all of heaven.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a little different. The judge himself the appeal has a good chance because of comments from politicians that can be argued tainted the trial to not be fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only concern is WHY he was found guilty.
    IF it is because they honestly believe he was guilty, thats one thing
    BUT if they found quility because they were afraid that there would be rioting
    Than that was the wrong reason to vote guilty.

9. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. However, it's not enough to just believe someone was guilty. It has to be a belief beyond reasonable doubt. In other words, if there is any reason to doubt that is not over the top, you must vote not guilty even if you think he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now I understand what you mean.

You do not know the heart of those who cheered. But they will tell you why if you look hard enough.

They have already felt sad that the devil got to Chauvin when they watched the video almost a year ago. Many who are Christians likely have already prayed for Chauvin’s soul. The cheer was for a broken justice system taking a step in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what is in their heart

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A black victim DID NOT receive justice. Mr. Floyd died. He is DEAD. He received nothing (truth be told, nothing was owed him except a chance to survive the encounter..whatever chance he had).

All Mr. Floyd received was a death sentence for passing a fake $20, ingesting drugs, and resisting arrest. That cannot be made right.

It is sad Mr. Floyd has become the symbol of police injustice as he is a poor symbol (there have been good, moral, non-criminal black men who have been unjustly killed by police). In a way, this detracts from a complicated problem (but Mr. Floyd does create a good narrative....it is just a fictionalized version of the man....which may be good enough as an illustration of a larger problem...black men who are not criminals being treated as if they are).

The officer was rightly held accountable for his actions. But this is not justice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arrogance would have them believe that they do.

Amen!!!

14. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if you would honestly feel the same way, if Floyd was a white man?

15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    then what is?

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that's relevant, tell us your prediction of the election of 2016. It's interesting that in your lust for the vengeance against this chauvin, you suddenly pop up like a jack-in-the-box when it's announced.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Floyd can't get justice. He is dead. The officer can be held responsible but that is not justice. It is accountability. That is probably the best that can be done, but it is not justice.

18. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is according to the legal system in the USA

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get what you are saying. However, it is or could be "justice" if we consider the entire range of meaning of the word. For example, one of the meanings of "justice" is "the administration of the law" or "the administering of deserved punishment or reward."

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or a group of people who feared of major rioting .......

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1