Justification by faith, like Preterism, not in the creeds. But Biblical

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Dec 8, 2018.

1. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that, once again, we've proven preterism is horse feathers.

2. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Full Blown version always been seen as being heresy...

3. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, while justification by faith IS Biblical, preterism is NOT.

4. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

5. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, there are different "camps" of Preterism. As I understand it, Full Preterists (aka "Hyper-Preterists") believe that all prophecies have been fulfilled. However, Orthodox Preterists (aka "Partial Preterists") believe that many of the events prophesied in Scripture (e.g. the Olivet Discourse, most of Revelation) have been fulfilled. While we do not believe that we are in the "End Times", nor do we believe in the Rapture, we still await the return of Christ. The end of Revelation is still awaiting fulfillment.

As an Orthodox Preterist, I believe many passages (e.g. 2 Peter 3:10-12) are to be interpreted symbolically.

6. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, once again, you've proven what a vivid imagination that you have!

7. asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Lodic. While I take umbrage with the "orthodox" label of your preterism, leaving me with the "un" (or worse) I do appreciate your comments on this important topic. Though I consider myself a full preterist I would not say that all is fulfilled. Two items, just off the top of my head, still need to happen:

1. I have yet to die and meet the Lord. So, for me personally, Heb. 9:27 still remains unfulfilled.
    2. It could be that what the Seven Thunders uttered may still be on the horizon. I think it would have to be.

For the record, I am full preterist by conviction, not by preference. I really wanted to stay a partial preterist. It seems a much larger, happier crowd : ) - but I could not find that position any longer in Scripture. I could not find such a division of "comings" that would accommodate both AD 70 and a future date. The more I studied the Bible the more I saw them as undivided as Christ's garment.

8. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies, Asterisktom. I should have used the term "Partial Preterist". I've read / watched some Full Preterist material, mostly from Don K. Preston.
    You are absolutely right, of course, regarding Hebrews 9:27. I believe that most of Revelation was fulfilled (most notably with the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in AD 70), I still look for a future return of Christ.
    By "seven thunders", are you referring to Rev. 10:1-7? If so, I will confess that I've not entirely sure what to make of it, except that I lean toward the aforementioned judgement on Jerusalem.

9. Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, a question, if I may. Could you elaborate on your comment that "preterism is not found in Scripture"? Preterism, just like Dispensationalism, is an interpretative view. Just as a Dispensationalist has Scriptures to support his view, Preterists also use Scripture to support their view. Often, these may be the same passages. Doesn't it come down to how one interprets those passages? Also, Preterists take the stand that Dispensationalism is a man-made doctrine, as it didn't exist before 1830. (I'm not looking for an argument, but just a discussion. I may not have a chance to reply until later this afternoon of tomorrow, as I am on my lunch break.)

10. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, do I ever relate with that...…as usual your articulation is spot on...

11. asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe what they uttered is still to pass based on the fact that all of the other events concerning the fall of Jerusalem had been revealed. I won't be dogmatic though.