1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty Trustees' Announcement about Falwell Jr.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should look for yourself. Its there.

2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You're hiding behind google and liberal hack gossip. If you have something, share. I can find gossip on anyone. Pick your favorite public figure, I can google dirt on them. You're better than this. Tell me exactly what you're talking about.

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

I have a feeling they won't bother me either. If they really are notable, they'd be spoken of plainly.

What would you say is the biggest scandal beside zipper gate?

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably the South Beach night club. I am not a Tee Totaler so I could care less about his drinking.

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

So he drank? Interesting. Doesn't bother me, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing he did that troubled me was hiring Hugh Freeze as head football coach.

7. Calminian

Site Supporter

I think the Church looks petty. We seem as vindictive as the world, with our gotcha moments. The neverTrumpers are coming out of the woodwork over this.

It think the world needs the opposite testimony. Petty firings over bad belly jokes are not a good witness. And frankly, I think we've canceled a good man. Very bad path we're on. We missed an opportunity to show what Christ would do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians kill their wounded, not restore them.

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As it has been noted, this incident is relatively new. This isn't a gotcha. This is a leader showing poor judgment.

10. Calminian

Site Supporter

Again, no one disagrees. Falwell doesn't. We all show bad judgement at times. Presidents, everyone. I'm sure you have. I know I have.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this is the case, then it's much ado about nothing.

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

It's not about nothing, but its not about immorality.

Falwell Says He Was Imitating Wife’s Pregnant Assistant in Controversial Photo, Couldn’t Zip His Pants Either

The thing I struggle with this most is, this is actually funny. The photo didn't come off as he hoped, but it's a funny joke. Yes, the media will make fodder out of it, and I think that presents Liberty U with a problem. I admit they are in a tough spot.

But ultimately, doesn't truth matter?

Can we at least admit the immediate impression of the photo does not reflect what really happened? Can we admit this was innocent, funny and not immoral?

Critics say, we have to be above reproach, and that's true. They say he should be aware of being caught in confusing photos like this, and that's also true. Can we then limit his shortcomings to this, and allow an apology suffice? Wouldn't that kind of grace be a better testimony to the world?

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont dont see anything wrong with the photo.

14. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe Charles Billingsley or Jonathan Falwell would make great leaders for Liberty University. I helped support my niece through Liberty and her comment was that Jerry Falwell Jr was one to say and do a lot of strange things at Liberty, and that he needed to go. I feel a part of Liberty and wish them well. Liberty University represents too much to have Jerry Jr leading it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There isn't a good man on the planet.

Now, you can think his termination is unfair. We all know this world is chalk full of unfairness. We have experienced it often over our short lifetime.

God has ordained the fall of Mr Falwell (ironic last name) from his position at Liberty University. As God's child, God will continue to work on Mr Falwell
    and keep sanctifying him into the likeness of Christ Jesus.
    Will Mr Falwell accept what God has ordained or will he fight God to regain power and prestige? We shall see.

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

I don't necessarily either, but can see why some perceived something wrong at first glance. I really didn't know what to make of it, frankly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Calminian

Site Supporter

Wow. I wonder if God is also ordaining the glee you're getting from this.

18. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The leadership of Liberty University must be quality guys the students can look up to and want to emulate as well as Christlike. Jerry Falwell Jr is not that guy! The staff of Thomas Road Baptist church all seem to be quality guys who would serve Liberty University well.

19. Calminian

Site Supporter

Your disdain for him is duly noted.

I like JFJ. Good quality guy. Whether he is reinstated or not, I believe he'll continue to do good works for the Lord.

20. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What glee? You are angry and projecting. Why would I be gleeful when a brother sins?
    I am very happy, however, that God is gracious to us and that he disciplines us for our benefit.

Hebrews 12:5-24 And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled; that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal. For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears. For you have not come to what may be touched, a blazing fire and darkness and gloom and a tempest and the sound of a trumpet and a voice whose words made the hearers beg that no further messages be spoken to them. For they could not endure the order that was given, “If even a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned.” Indeed, so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, “I tremble with fear.” But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.