1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Monogenes

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Feb 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rebuttal By Van of inked article:
    The Only Begotten Son
    by Michael Marlowe

1) "I will argue that the rendering “one and only” is semantically reductionistic and theologically inadequate." It is never a good start when an argument begins with obscure and undefined words. "Semantically reductionistic" seems to be the claim monogenes has within is semantic range "begotten." That is not an argument, that is a claim. "Theologically inadequate" again claims unique or one of a kind (not one and only) do not convey the intended message. Again not an argument, but a claim.

2) "When used in reference to a son, it cannot mean “one of a kind,” because the parent is also of the same kind." God the Father was never "incarnate" thus Jesus is the "one of a kind" Son of God.

3) "In Luke’s Gospel, the word is used in reference to an only child in 7:12, 8:42, and 9:38. In the Epistle to the Hebrews, it is said that when Abraham was ready to sacrifice Isaac he was offering up τον μονογενή, “his only-begotten” (11:17), because although Abraham had another son, God had said that only in Isaac shall Abraham’s seed (σπερμα) be named." Again "unique or one of kind" works in every biblical usage. And note how Abraham had fathered two sons (so "only begotten" obviously is a mistranslation here.)

4) "There are a few places where the word has been understood to mean, “one of a kind” or “incomparable.” Obvious truth set forth to pivot to none biblical sources. Shoddy to say the least.

5) "The problem here is that Longenecker does not give us any reason to think that the semantic component “begotten” is absent." Here we an argument from silence, the absence of an argument is said to support the opposing view. Twaddle

6) "It is probably right to emphasize the mono “only” here, as Longenecker does, but there is no good reason to say that the genes must mean “kind” without any connotation of “begotten.” There is absolutely no "connotation" of "begotten" in "kind." It is a classification not a process.

7) "Apparently Moody never looked at the passage to which he refers, which explicitly describes how a succession of solitary Phoenixes are begotten and born, by some autogenic process. The passage even decribes how the Phoenix disposes of the bones of its parent. It is “one of its kind” only in the sense that there is just one living at any one time. As we noted above, Clement’s whole interest in this mythological bird lies in its death and rebirth." LOL, an "autogenic" bird is a "one of a kind."

8) "John 1:14. And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld his glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father), full of grace and truth." (1881 ESV) Thus the error of the past is used to deny the modern scholarship of the current ESV, "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

9) " And so we see that in every occurrence John is using the word as a biological metaphor, in which Christ is the “Only Begotten Son” of the Father." On the contrary, in every case in John modern scholars say John was using "monogenes" to indicate the person's unique or one of a kind status.

10) "He (John) is saying that Christ is the second of a kind, uniquely sharing the genus of the Father because he is the only begotten Son of the Father, as in the KJV, ERV, and NASB." Note here how a word meaning "one of a kind" or unique is redefined to mean "second of a kind." Twaddle

11) "In the 2nd ed. of the BAGD lexicon (1979) it is said that “the meanings only, unique may be quite adequate for all its occurrences” in the Johannine literature (p. 527), but the lexicon also presents the traditional view, in which the word is understood to mean “only-begotten.” Thus contrary to assertions by others BAGD indicates "only begotten" is less than "adequate."

12) "Finally, it must not be supposed that all translators who have preferred “only” over “only begotten” are deliberately undertranslating the word μονογενής for theological reasons. Many translators simply wish to keep their translations simple and idiomatic, and the word “begotten” does not commend itself to those who are trying to translate the text into a familiar and contemporary style of English." Here we have an attack on the integrity of the modern scholars, saying they mistranslated monogenes to dumb down text. Twaddle

Bible Research > Interpretation > The Only Begotten Son

#1 Van, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically, Michael Marlowe, Dr Robertsdon, and the BDAG will allow for only begotten, why not you?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not Dan B Wallace? Why not the NIV translators? Why not the ESV translators? Why not the WEB translators? Why not the LEB translators? Why not the NLT translators.

I could post 2 plus 2 is 4, and Y1 would post taint so.

BTW, BAGD indicates "only begotten" is inadequate, because unique or one of a kind is adequate. :)

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why will you not allow for it, period?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do all the mentioned translators including Dan B. Wallace say the preferred translation is unique or one of a kind?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They would not be saying either/or, you are the one saying that!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utter falsehood. Of course many sources say unique or one of a kind. Read the thread and stop ignoring truth.
    4) "There are a few places where the word has been understood to mean, “one of a kind” or “incomparable.” Obvious truth set forth to pivot to none biblical sources. Either/or, either/or....

The BDAG lexicon allows for the meaning ‘only begotten’ for μονογενής but seems to view this meaning as secondary. In addition, they note that in the Johannine literature “The renderings only, unique may be quite adequate for all its occurrences here.”

BTW, BDAG indicates "only begotten" is inadequate, because unique or only appears adequate. in all its occurrences.

#7 Van, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed where Dr. Wallace made that statement.

"Although this word is often translated “only begotten,” such a translation is misleading, since in English it appears to express a metaphysical relationship. The word in Greek was used of an only child (a son [Luke 7:12, 9:38] or a daughter [Luke 8:42]). It was also used of something unique (only one of its kind) such as the mythological Phoenix (1 Clement 25:2). From here it passes easily to a description of Isaac (Heb 11:17 and Josephus, Ant. 1.13.1 [1.222]) who was not Abraham’s only son, but was one-of-a-kind because he was the child of the promise. Thus the word means “one-of-a-kind” and is reserved for Jesus in the Johannine literature of the NT. While all Christians are children of God (τέκνα θεοῦ, tekna qeou), Jesus is God’s Son in a unique, one-of-a-kind sense. The word is used in this way in all its uses in the Gospel of John (1:14, 1:18, 3:16, and 3:18)" (NET footnote)

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I copied and pasted your post, vaguely attributing it to a prior post. For you to claim I was trying to take credit away from you is perhaps funny, but then I thought it was kind of you to present the unvarnished truth.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Please close this thread, as I have responded to the substantive posts left unanswered in the prior thread.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to note: μονογενής

The Latin Vulgate uses ūnigenitus.
    And only some English translations follows this Latin using only-begotten.

From what understand, not in any other languages from the Greek.

• Like Like x 1
  12. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My post was indeed an attempt at humor. Hence the smiling face and as a later post indicated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Latin influence on the KJV and therefore on future English translations is great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was not just the KJV. But from Tyndale on . . .

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has many human sons begotten of the Holy Spirit but only ONE BEGOTTEN from ETERNITY.

True God, true man unique from His brethren.

Hebrews 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    please reread what i said BEGOTTEN FROM ETERNITY.

Begotteness is the eternal relationship of the Father and the Son.
    it DOES NOT denote inferiority but equality.

The Logos (Jesus) emanates from the innermost being of the Father from eternity, equal to and with the Father.
    This emanation from the bosom of the Father declares Him as the eternal Son of God.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,
    2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;
    3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
    4 having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, here we see that the Father and the Son equally share the essence of deity.

#17 HankD, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the argument, "begotten from eternity." It is neither Biblical nor logical. The term "begotten" denotes being caused. The eternal Son is the uncaused Son of God.

The brightness of His glory and the express image of His person. The Son is the very glory of God, being the true light even as God is the true God. (John 1:9; John 17:3) The very same God, simply not the same persons.

#18 37818, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i have for the most part followed the Nicene school (Athanasius) of the Holy Trinity - in particular.
    after i did my self study thereof i chose Calvary University for my disciplined endeavor.

The Incarnation, the Hypostatic Union, the Homoousious of the Father and Son , the Perichoresis of the Trinity, the Kenosis of Christ.

These are the most VERY IMPORTANT DOCTRINES of orthodox CHRISTIANITY many traditional and orthodox (so called) churches and Christian entities waver and err in ignorance being undisciplined in Trinitarian theology.

These church dogma took centuries to develop with much debate and yes shamefully even bloodshed.

IMO even teachers of children should be very well versed in these Christian dogma.

I have heard children having the Trinity explained thusly "just as I am a father a son and a husband" so God is Father, Son and Holy Ghost."

This is modalism which I believe is the present heresy of MUCH (maybe most) of Christendom.

There is no excuse for this ignorance, the web makes Trinitrian DOCTRINE EASILY ADDRESSED.

The Nicene Creed's incarnational Trinitarian roots

I do admit that you may need a pot of coffee to be able to sail the sea of Trinitarian theology but it is very satisfying.

20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By this are you saying that he was never the Son of God until the incarnation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.