1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Monogenes

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Feb 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question, folk, implied heresy on my part, but in actuality, Rhvaughn was attempting to misrepresent me. Can monogenes mean what Dan B. Wallace says it means? Yes. Can monogenes mean mean what the NIV translation team says? Yes, Can monogenes mean what the CSB translation team says? Yes, How about the LEB, NLT, ESV, WEB and NET? Yes.

Note how rather than addressing the arguments put forward, I am disparaged. This provincial behavior is typical of the KJVO advocates, who exemplify my way or the highway mentality.

#41 Van, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could have simply answered the question and explained what you mean, but you did not. You could have represented yourself but instead chose to claim someone misrepresented you. Apparently typical behaviour of the anti-only-begotten my way or the highway crowd.

As far as addressing arguments we already had about 11 pages of that in which you dismissed any that differed from your "this can only mean that" mantra.

#42 rlvaughn, Feb 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, I answered the question, but Rivaughn did not. I actually read and rebutted the "only begotten" falsehoods.

Did the mistranslation get intoduced into the text through a Latin mistranslation? Yes.
    Does another Greek word mean begotten? Yes (gennao?)
    Does monogenes translate a Hebrew word meaning unique or one of a kind? Yes

Why do these modern translations agree that monogenes means only or unique rather than only begotten: CSB, NIV, NLT, WEB, LEB, ESV,and NET?

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you evaded the question in my # 20. "LOL" now I remember why I previous!y had you on 'ignore", to which you shall return.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utter false claim, I answered the question you asked, but you did not answer the question I asked. Now I know you for what you are.

rlvaughn said:
    By this are you saying that he was never the Son of God until the incarnation?

Van's answer:
    Why waste time attempting to imply fault where none exists. Are you saying you think the Word was never the Son of God before the incarnation? I cannot believe you would hold such as unstudied view.

Thus the answer was no as the view is unstudied.

6. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is clear he is stating what I have in the past. Jesus is "unique" among all beings. Even within the Godhead. In the incarnation Jesus became μονογενες. No one is like Him. Not even the Father. Jesus is unique among all. I believe this is the meaning of John's usage in John chapter 1.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. You prove it is not hard to give a cogent explanation without evasion.

8. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That O.P. needs to be rewritten in English.

• When the Word of God became flesh, that's when the eternal Word became the Son of God - when he took on a human nature by the power of the Holy Ghost.

• He is the only begotten Son of God because he is the only man whose FLESH was born of the Holy Ghost.

That's both ends and the middle of it.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that view is wrong from beginning, in the middle, and at the end. The preincarnate Word is referred to as the Son.

10. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The preincarnate Word is referred to as the Son."

Great. Give us one verse where the pre-incarnate Word is identified, back then, as the Son, and the case is closed.

11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Simply a retrospective identification given that by the author's time of writing, that God of Psalm 45:6 had been revealed in his human nature as the Son of God.
    That's like the N.T. expressions which substitute the day of Christ for the O.T. the day of the Lord because by then the Lord had been revealed as Christ.

It's the Psalms which clearly placed the sonship of the Word of God as occuring in time: Psa_2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
    There are no this day 's in eternity past.
    And of course we read the fulfillment of the prophesied begetting of the Son in the gospels, in time, in Israel, under Rome.

#52 George Antonios, Feb 24, 2020
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Word is referred to as the Son in John 1:18. Genesis 12:7.

14. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, the Son of God, Jesus Christ, declared the Father unto us in the gospels.
    That has no bearing on a begetting of the Son out in eternity past.

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So am I to understand you deny the the LORD God who appeared to Abraham in Genesis 12:7 was the Son of God according to John 1:18?

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at this thread, all who say theology is not important in Bible translation!!

Most degrees in this subject do not include theology courses, including SIL and BBTI. But ours requires the whole spectrum of systematic theology in addition to the language and translation courses. :)

"And now, back to your regularly scheduled theological mayhem." :confused:

#56 John of Japan, Feb 24, 2020
  17. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hunh? There were many theophanies connected to the Word of God in the O.T. where he appeared as a SPIRIT. What's that got to do being born as FLESH?! - which is what the term Son of God refers to in scriptures.

The guys who are unwittingly messing with the deity of Christ are precisely the ones who have the Sonship [not the Son] as being in eternity past because begotten then implies a beginning, and no amount of mental gymnastics can ever avoid that.

Christ's flesh had a beginning - when it was begotten. Christ's spirit does not have a beginning.
    If we would just stick with the plain English scriptures we'd have a lot more clarity.

#57 George Antonios, Feb 24, 2020
  18. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    The confusion was precisely caused by men who used such courses to mess with the clear language of the book.
    [note that I'm not against such courses]. Just read the first 2 paragraphs of the OP. What I'm saying is that the source of such confusion began precisely in the circles which you point to as salvific from confusion.

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you explain what you mean by "the Sonship [not the Son]" or how you are distinguishing between Son and Sonship? Thanks .

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to be saying that systematic theology is good but it's bad. :confused:

All I said is that theology is important in Bible translation, so we have systematic theology courses in our M.A. on Bible Translation. I'll stick to my guns.

We use a good Baptist theology, Erickson. Have you read it? Also, I'm pretty sure our systematic theology proofs (me, too) have their their theology down well enough to correct any errors by Erickson.

As for the first two paragraphs in the OP, I didn't read them and won't, because I don't consider Van to be qualified in this or any other area related to Bible translation. I dare you to ask if he's ever read through a systematic theology. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.