1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Murder in The Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that this is an issue Christians can disagree on, but so see that God still permits capital punishment's for certain crimes!

Gacey, Bundy, and delmer come to mind!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God view on Murder though predates Mosaic Law!

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have stated several times in this thread, God have given authority to implement the death penalty to governments.

Christians are called to be different. We are commanded to follow the example of Jesus by showing mercy to the worst of sinners, even murderers like Paul.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it does. God showed mercy and did not require the death penalty for the murder Cain and the murder Moses.

peace to you

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Executing them for their sins is not "not showing mercy", as did not the Lord Himself execute judgement upon Sodom?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not required, but still permitted!

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    That authority has been given to governments.

Would you address the passage of 1 Tim 1:15-16? Doesn’t it tell us to follow the example of our Lord Jesus and show mercy?

Peace to you

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well yes, I’d say if you execute someone “for their sins”, you have not shown mercy. That seems rather obvious to me.

But Christians aren’t executing people, governments are executing.

In the US, Christians could possibly serve on juries or as judges who might impose the death penalty.

I believe Christians should recuse themselves in such situations, as it would violate the command of our Lord Jesus to show mercy.

peace to you

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much of the anti-DP sentiment comes from the mistranslation in the KJV of Ex. 13:20-"Thou shalt not KILL." It SHOULD read 'murder', especially as the very next chapter prescribes the DP for certain sins/crimes.

"Kill" means ending the life of anything, from an animal, plant, person, electric current, a nvolleyball possession, etc. while "murder" means to wrongfully & deliberately end the life of another PERSON. Remember, we kill our food by eating it if it's not already dead.

I am in favor of using deadly force if necessary for self-defense, & am in favor of capital punishment.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what is worse then, capital Punishment man does unto Jack the Ripper types. or God in His judgement?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just do not buy unto the line that if we kill off a murderer, that we commit them to Hell without mercy, as if they wanted to get saved even!

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not sure what that has to do with a Christian following the command of Jesus to show mercy, however, God’s judgement is eternal so it is far “worse”.

Will you give your opinion of the 1 Tim passage? Doesn’t it say Christians are to follow the example of Jesus and show mercy to the worst of sinners, even murderers like Paul.

peace to you

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning - this thread will be closed no sooner than 1130 PM EDT / 830 PM PDT

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone “want to get save” prior to God Holy Spirit intervening in their life? I don’t believe so.

Prior to God’s intervention, we were all enslaved to sin and condemned to hell. Do we say to ourselves, “at least I didn’t commit murder, or rape or adultery” or whichever sin you think prevents someone from receiving God’s grace?

Can anyone look at someone and determine whether or not God will use that person for the cause of Christ?

One thing is certain, once a person dies, there is no opportunity to be used by God the spread the gospel of grace, mercy, salvation for the worst of sinners, even murderers.

As a great philosopher once said, “do not be so quick to deal out death in judgment”.

peace to you

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God, and is, can show mercy unto someone, but still does not mean cannot execute them for crimes done that warrant that!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some crimes are so horrible, that we need to pass the judgement of God upon them and their acts here and now....

17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that just isn’t true. God has not called for Christians to “pass the judgment of God upon them” for their acts. God uses governments to pass judgment.

God has commanded Christians to show mercy to the worst of sinners, even murderers like Paul.

1 Tim 1:15-16? Will you offer an opinion on how it applies to the death penalty.

peace to you

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.