1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Murder in The Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You want us to legalize throwing gays off buildings, as done in some Islamic nations today?

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even God in the OT said that killing by accident was not a crime

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth is that God never said was OK to not capital crime first degree murder, but he also did not say all nations should adopt the code of Israel as to punishment!

4. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    no you are being really silly! :rolleyes:

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that no?

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no “personal benefit” concerning this topic. I am following a clear teaching in scripture. Again, it was through a thorough examination of scripture I found myself unable to continue to support the death penalty.

You can yell (all caps) all you want, but that is a poor substitute to actually addressing 1 Tim 1:15-16 which clearly states Christians have been given an example to follow by our Lord Jesus Christ. We are to follow His example of showing mercy to the worst of sinners, even murderers like Paul. You can accept it or reject it, but there is no reasonable denial that is what the passage teaches.

You stated “ALL murder must be punished by death. Period!” It is plainly untrue that “ALL” murder “must” be punished by death.

I have already given many examples from scripture where murder was not punished by death. These examples include Cain, Moses, David, and Paul.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    He wants to re-establish the OT Law where individuals who witness crimes put to death by stoning those who committed the crime. That is what God called for in the OT, and since he believes it can’t be changed I guess we need big piles of rocks, just in case.

peace to you

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, God never divided murder into categories like first degree, second degree, manslaughter etc.

Perhaps “intentional” verses “unintentional” was as complex as it got. Even unintentional death had consequences. Such a person could flee to a City of Refuge to avoid the “blood avenger” but if they left they could be killed by the relative.

You are correct that God never commanded we continue to follow OT Law, and quite the contrary.

peace to you

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that death is an appropriate punishment for murder and other crimes. I also believe that death is a deterrent to keep at least some alive who other wise become forgotten victims. The dead had a right to live so what about the living do they deserve protection from murders?

I believe your attitude towards proper punishment is a bigger problem. It encourages evil men to commit such crimes as murder.
    MB

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    My “attitude” is to follow the example of our Lord Jesus Christ, as I am commanded to do. Such an “attitude” encourages obedience to our Lord Jesus Christ and rejection of the world.

I sincerely doubt my “attitude” “encourages evil men to commit murder”, but perhaps a display of mercy, through conviction of Holy Spirit, might convert evil men into saints of Jesus Christ, and prevent crimes such as murder.

There is no chance for conversion after death.

peace to you

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the Apostle John stated that there is sin that will bring death to the one doing it!

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what that has to do with Christians obeying the command of our Lord Jesus Christ, found in 1 Tim 1:15-16, to follow His example of showing mercy to the worst of sinners, even murderers like Paul.

peace to you

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    your problem is that YOU think that YOU know better than God Himself! YOU IGNORE all the Bible verses that CLEARLY say that murder is punishable by death, and harp on this ONE passage that you misuse from Paul! You are just another Liberal christian, who is playing the devils own game!

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, abusing what the Bible ACTUALLY says!!! I suppose you think that hell is unfair!

15. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now you are just slandering people.

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    and how is the truth slander? too many on here twist and misuse the Word of God for their own pet theology!

17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you refuse to address the passage from 1 Tim. 1:15-16, and to offer any other plausible explanation than what I have given.

Personal attacks are a poor substitute to a meaningful conversation on an important topic.

peace to you

18. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Candy, you don't know what you are on about, disregard what the Bible clearly says, and keep on banging your drum by misusing Scripture. I have nothing further to say to you on this, as it will be wasted!

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you refuse to address the passage of I Tim, and offer another plausible explanation.

Your personal attacks against me, a brother in Christ, obscure the meaningful conversation believers are having on this issue.

peace to you

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph 2:14. “Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances.”

Jesus has fulfilled and abolished the OT Law.

Peace to you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.