1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

National Guard Living In Parking Garage In Democrat-Run D.C.: ‘We Feel Incredibly Betrayed

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now-days - virtually no one knows about the State Militia aka, State Guard, Defense Force, Military Reserve, ect

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had some experience with them. For a while they manned the gate at our HQ. And we would call on a few to man the orderly room when a unit deployed.

3. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Insurrection Act dates back to 1807. That precedes the War Between the States. Lincoln called for troops from states to go against the lower Southern States which seceded. The upper Southern States denied that request. Point being the Insurrection Act was in place yet soldiers were denied.

The D.C. national guard is the only guard that answers only to the President. The Oregon Governor, Kate Brown, refused to send 100 more troops to Washington as requested.

In fact, look at the role State Governors played in denying National Guard during the 'Floyd' riots. Some told Trump they would not allow the use of the Guard.

As I said, the President can request, or he can order the use of National Guard. But State Governors can deny. That may mean trouble, but they can deny.

And now, in light of the treatment of those that were sent, Governors should be more inclined to not send them again.

Quantrill

#43 Quantrill, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The President can activate the National Guard.
    This is Title 10.

The Governor cannot prevent the President from calling up their state's National Guard

The Governor cannot refuse the President's activation of the National Guard.

The Governor cannot recall troops the President has called up.

I understand you have your beliefs, but the facts are very different from what you believe.

The Governor cannot deny or prevent the President from calling up the National Guard.

If (like now) it was a defence request through NGB (title 31) it is different....but that is not the President calling up troops.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, are you trying to confuse people with the facts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently so. :Wink

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon - remember at least once - when the NG was called up by the Governor - but it ended up that he (the Gov) could not return the NG to home base?

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DeSantis recalls 600 Florida National Guard troops from DC | wtsp.com

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    These troops were sent by the state (through NGB). The President did not call them up.

Florida sending 600 National Guard troops for Inauguration Day | wtsp.com

25K authorized; 50 States, three territories and DC Supporting Presidential Inauguration > National Guard > Press Releases

A Governor cannot recall troops federalized by presidential activation (title 10). A Governor cannot prevent a President from calling up the National Guard.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps this will help those struggling to understand the difference between a National Guard member on Title 10 and on Title 32.

Maybe I am thinking it is simple because I worked between the two for a decade within the NG.

The last decade of my military career I was AGR.

It is not that hard, but perhaps I am not explaining it well enough.

Your Benefits: Title 10 vs. Title 32 vs. the State.

13. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who does the NGB answer to?

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are a part of the Department of Defense ....like the Army, Navy and Air Force (a few years ago they got a seat at the Joint Chief).

But NGB cannot order National Guard troops up. They request, but it is up to the Governor. NGB does allocate funding (States have to maintain facilities, but NGB authorizes personnel and positions.... we called them slots).

Guardsmen have two bosses- the Governor and the President. Either can call them up.

If the Governor calls them up they are state funded. If NGB requests them they are still state funded but the deployment is sent to the state by the federal government. If the President calls them up they are funded directly by the federal government (and this will be reflected on a DD214).

If the President activates them then they are just like the Army-Airforce. The Governor has no say about where they go, what they do, or when they return. The Governor cannot stop them from going or call then back home. It is up to the Active component to discharge them from Title 10 service (and this is a discharge), then the Governor is once again their boss.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    p;o

Bennny - crossing it out does NOT change the facts!

16. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Go ahead and keep repeating yourself. Yet you address nothing I said.

Who called up the troops? The Governors don't just 'send' the troops. Who called them up? Give me a name, if you can.

I have just showed you that democratic governors refused and told Trump that they would not send any troops during the 'floyd' riots.

Your understanding of my beliefs is immaterial. Your 'facts' are immaterial.

Yes, the State Governor can deny. Preventions is another story, if the 'president' wants to push it. Lincoln pushed it. The upper Southern States said, no way.

Again, the Governor of the States can deny the troops. And they should have. And this fiasco should set a precedent that they should not bow to the President's, or whomever's, request again.

Next time if military is needed to make a show, just go ahead and send in the army or air force or whoever. Quit playing games with the National Guard.

Democrats like the show, but once the show is over they don't give a rats*** about the troops. Until it blows up in their face. Then they are all just aghast that such a thing could happen. Please.

Quantrill

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    DoD through NGB requested the troops. The States (the Governors) sent the troops, and the Governor can recall them.

If the President activated them the Governor could not keep them from going or call them back.

This is basic stuff. Do you not understand how your military works??

The Governors did not have to send the troops (I am sure there was money for the states involved....there always is). But they did and they can recall them.

But if Biden wants them, and calls them up, the Governors have no choice. They are just as much the President's troops as they are the Governors.

18. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If it is all so basic, why don't you answer my questions. Who called them up? Give me a name.

It is also basic that the Governors do have a choice, and dont have to send them as I have showed. Which you do not address.

They may be able to be called up by the President, but the Governor doesn't have to send them, as I have showed.

As I said, after this fiasco which reveals Biden and his administrations view of National guard troops, why would any State send them their troops? Answer, they should not.

Make no mistake, Biden and his administration want to gloss over this because they have plans to call them up again when necessary.

I would say, call all you want. None will be sent.

Quantrill

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Governor of each state called them up at the request of DoD through NGB under President Donald Trump.

It was not up to you to send your state's troops, it was up to your Governor. He could have declined NGB's request. He did not.

If the President calls up troops the Governor cannot deny those troops because he has no authority to deny.

Who do you believe pays your Guardsmen's salary? Who decides how big the Guard can be in your state? Who decides if they will be Infantry Maintenance units?

Yep....the Federal government.

20. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed, the Governor can decline, which is what I have been saying.

And now, in view of how the present administration views the National guard troops, then he, the Governor, should remember that, and not send troops again.

Biden's administration has showed their hand, though most knew it already, they want to use the Guard, but then once used, it is an eyesore upon the beautiful lawn of the capitol grounds. This will color all that the Biden administration will do. Use it, and when done with it, toss it away.

Glory, glory, hallelujah.

Quantrill