1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

National Guard Living In Parking Garage In Democrat-Run D.C.: ‘We Feel Incredibly Betrayed

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jan 22, 2021.

1. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One article stated Pelosi demanded 14,000 troops. Whoever controls the purse strings controls. Who controls them? Congress. Who called them up? The Majority Leader. Sure, you could refuse, but not without potentially serious repercussions.

#61 RighteousnessTemperance&, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the President calls up the National Guard (Title 10) the Governor cannot decline or recall the troops.

If the Governor activates the National Guard (Title 32) and sends his troops at the request of a President or NGB or other State, then the Governor can recall his troops.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NGB controls the purse strings. This is like any service. Funding is based on strength (number of troops).

It is not about states getting funding cut but about missing out on the money they would receive by participating.

We declined an NGB program several years ago. But NGB said the program carried with it millions of dollars. So the state changed its mind.

4. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yadaa, yadaa, yadaa...etc.

The State Governor can decline the Presidents request concerning the Guard. I showed you that already. If the issue is so important then the President can always activate the Active Military. So, let him.

Quantrill

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are very wrong. Obviously you have absolutely no experience with NGB or the National Guard.

The President cannot activate the active military - they ARE a standing military force.

Before 1903 there was not a "National Guard" (the militias took on a federal role and was named "National Guard" in 1903).

I do not know of why you choose fiction over truth, but that is your right I suppose. It is, nonetheless, ignorance.

6. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was a direct political call up. Are you suggesting Congress does not hold the purse strings for the military?

7. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course the military are a standing force. As Commander in Chief the President can send them wherever he wants. So, let him send them instead of the 'national guard' which are under the States control.

Militias never were a 'federal national guard'. Oxymoron. Militias didn't become the 'national guard'. What nonsence.

Not just fiction and ignorance, but deception is what is being displayed...and not by me.

Quantrill

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying that Congress could not penalize a state for not sending troops. Congress does not fund National Guard units.

And this was not a direct call up. It was a request from the Defense Dept to NGB.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously you miss the "national" in National Guard.

Militias were not federal until 1903. That is when Congress was authorized to create the National Guard (an early version) which could be federalized. That is when, and why, it is called the National Guard (and not the State Guard or State Militia).

One of the reasons the National Guard exists is fir the President to use when needed.

The National Guard does not belong to the State. It is federal (created by Congress) under state jurisdiction, funded by the Federal and State governments.

The President has just as much a right to call up the National Guard as dies the Governor (for different reasons).

10. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yet in post #(24) you say the Guard is funded by the Federal govt.

Quantrill

11. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, I understand the 'national' in national guard. And I understand it is under the control of the States. As I have showed you.

Militias never were federal. The creation of the national guard did not replace the militia. The need of the state militia or any citizen militia still exists.

And the State Governor has just as much right, if not more, as these are men of his state, to refuse or allow to send the national guard of his state. As has been shown you.

Quantrill

12. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that may be so. The President may have more say in it, for example, FEMA funds for COVID. But this president is directly tied to Pelosi. Again, Pelosi was said to have made the request to the DOD for 14k troops.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is funded by the Federal government.

Congress does not fund specific divisions in the Army, nor does it fund individual states.

NGB funds States. Congress determines the strength/ number of troops.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. The difference is Congress cannot decide funding for a specific State's National Guard.

Congress decides National Guard strength (as it does for the other branches). But NGB determines the allocation of troops in the States.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong.

Have you ever served in the military? If so, in what capacity?

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quantrill [
    Jon has referenced Title 10 and 32 to explain his POV
    Unless I missed it, have you provided any govt references to explain your POV?

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't even understand why this is being debated. Those not familiar with the National Guard can easily research these facts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One point has not yet been brought up
    President Trump's Power Over the National Guard, Explained

So, why ask the governors to call out their troops? (see the bold below)

Because to empower the National Guard as troops under the command of President Trump would require both the states and Congress to grant him a waiver to Posse Comitatus. Then he would need Congress to pay for the activation of all those men and women.
    Posse Comitatus Act - Wikipedia

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When there is a call up (like NG troops in Afghanistan) they also fall under federal controll (and the state cannot recall them).

I ran into this several times with National Guard soldiers in training. Something would happen and we would want to recall that soldier. The Governor could request it, but could not just call the guy back because he was Title 10 for training.

The cool part was AWOL from training. We would get a soldier not return to Basic after Christmas exodus. Not our problem- they were on Title 10 orders and belonged to the Federal government. After 30 days we would discharge them from the National Guard (pre-IADT uncharacterized).

But sooner or later they would be picked up and sent back to the Army, who could keep them in jail for up to a year. Parents would call me saying they have the discharge paperwork. I would let them know their son was discharged from the National Guard, but he was AWOL from the Active Army, not us, and it us up to them.

We had one issue where the Governor wanted the soldier back and the request was refused (he was wanted as a witness for something).

So I know first hand tge Governor's jurisdiction ends with Title 10.

That is also why NGB was pushing for MEPS counsels to be Title 10 (so the State could not influence the counselors), but that never happened.

20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what they get for protecting Communists.