No such thing as "free will"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin that comment from you is just a joke. You have been shown that your views do not hold water. You do not even take the time to try and refute what people post. You just say no, not right, as if your word is the gospel.

You need to read the word of God with out the calvinist glasses then perhaps you would actually understand what it says. The sad part is that I think you really do want to know the truth but you refuse to let the bible inform you of that truth.

2. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do read the text, all of the text, not just bits and pieces of the text, and I AM smart enough to know world is not the same as individuals.

3. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So this post is pretty much one big ad hominem with absolutely no substance. And, by the way, the Bible wasn't written in English.

4. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true, but about you, not @AustinC

5. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silverhair, I have 6 page document showing you are wrong, while you keep falling on a sentence or two, out of context, as your prooftext to your pretext. I have spent months correcting your error, yet you persist in error. You are living on an island of one while crying out against a figment of your imagination you call "calvinist." It's just sad to watch you live alone and in ignorance when help has been offered.

6. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On one side we have exhaustive determinists, claiming our every thought and action was predetermined by God. This view is openly endorsed by Hyper-Calvinist, and perhaps secretly held by some main-stream Calvinists. However, on the other side are the majority of professing Christians, who believe we are "free" to choose whatever we fancy. Buried in this group are some fifth columnists claiming we can only "fancy" the dark side.

Lying between these two canards is biblical truth.

The biblical truth is that fallen humanity has limited autonomous will. We can choose what we fancy, but unless God has revealed His good news, we cannot choose to trust in it. Thus our will is obviously limited to what we have experienced or imagined.

Next we are predisposed in ways that curtail the likelihood of choosing to follow God's will. For example, if given the choice between self preservation and doing the right thing, we would tend to save ourselves. This is not a hard limit but an aggregate limit.

If God hardens our hearts, does that not limit our autonomous will? If we harden our own hearts, through the practice of sin, does that not limit our autonomous will? If we have not been "drawn" (attracted) by the Father, can we fully trust in Christ?

Basically both the "Free will" (unconstrained will) claims and the "Bondage of the Will" (Totally constrained Will) claims are bogus unbiblical doctrine

7. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you read it in Greek or English. Your comments are bordering on just plain dumb. I expect better of you.

8. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just do not read it in context. And it would seem that you are not smart enough to understand what the text means.

9. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, I post scripture and all I get from your side of the board is, no does not mean that. And why do you say that, because it does not fit your calvinist theology.

10. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read you 6 page document and it fails to support your view. You find support for your calvinism in the text because that is what you are looking for. You have to read calvinism into the text to make it work. I have shown how you TULIP is not biblical but you still support that view and call it the DoG. Your constant misuse of scripture is shocking to say the least.
    Actually the more you post the more you show the errors of your theology. You do not respond to the scripture I post except to disagree out of hand. You must think that just says no do not agree, actually proves something.

11. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rephrase: You read the verses and you reject them. That is your problem. You reject verses and passages that openly show you that your philosophy is wrong. You have rejected God's Word for Silverhair's philosophy. This is the simple fact of the matter. You live on a desert island in your belief and God does not support your view.

12. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    False

13. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not expect you to agree with me. You follow your calvinist theology and I follow the bible. I do not have to change the meaning of words or read special meaning into the text as you do.

14. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taint so!!!

15. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What word have I changed? None.

16. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You post OUT OF CONTEXT Scripture. THat's the problem.

17. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm convinced you don't know the meaning of the word context.

18. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin you will continue to put forward you philosophy, as that is what calvinism is, and I will continue to follow the bible. We will not agree on many. You have your determinism to hold onto as you can not conceive of a God that would actually love His creation enough to let them choose if they want to be with Him or not. You just do not want to trust what the bible says when it disagrees with your calvinism.

You even disagree with the ESV, the pro calvinist version, when it say we can all be saved through the Son. Rom 5:18 Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for R6 all men. It even Xref Joh 12:32 "And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."

19. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove what you say. You just do not like or agree with what the bible says . That is not my problem it is yours. Deal with it.

20. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist