1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured NYC Policeman Not Indicted in Chokehold Death; Protests Called

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well that is the thing. I mean despite an NYPD prohibition of exactly the sort of chokehold Pantaleo used, and despite the New York City medical examiner ruling the death a homicide, they couldn't even get an indictment! This whole decision was deliberated on in less than a day. I can't even begin to describe how betrayed his family must feel. It is indefensible. Man, we're just better than this as a country.

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So it seemed like involuntary manslaughter to me BUT was the dissension a criminal act it's self? The whole situation was a perfect storm for a bad ending.

#22 Jedi Knight, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  3. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

If the move was illegal, I would say that out was negligent homicide rather than involuntary manslaughter.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Just another senseless killing.

This highlights what I said about prosecuting Officer Wilson. It simply doesn't take much to get a grand jury to say there's enough evidence to warrant an indictment and letting a jury decide the outcome.

The grand jury was privy to this officer using an illegal choke-hold and it was on video. That should have been all the evidence they needed to see for an indictment.

So why are police officers continuing to be given an out after breaking the law?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Realize that the Grand Jury has been meeting since the end of September and I believe they have been deliberating since the beginning of the week, although I can't find exactly when they started deliberating.

6. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I agree but if something is banned does it make it a criminal act was my curiosity.....even if the guy was not killed.

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

9. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I'm sure your pal Shallow Al has that answer for you.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did he die of? There had to be a cause of death.

No mention of asphyxiation or damage to the windpipe. Something was the cause of death. What was it?

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Shoot - I closed that tab but basically it was a combination of neck compression, chest compression (they sat on him on the ground), the prone position, obesity, hypertension and asthma. My guess is that pretty much the position along with having just had the choke hold all triggering the asthma did him in. Generally then it would be asphyxia.

12. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

So it wasn't the color of skin that did him in?

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...

Does make you wonder though. If he had been white, would there be such a firestorm? Protests? Etc? Would we even hear about it?

You see. In the end, it doesn't matter to me at all that he was black. What matters is that he died as the result of an illegal chokehold by a policeman. I couldn't care less what color he is.

I'd still like to know the cause of death. It had to be something. It wasn't the chokehold. It may have been something brought on by the chokehold. What was it? So far, all I've seen is guesses and suppositions.

14. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Well if the KKK had a camera running around crying "white people being shot by black,hispanic,asian police" that would be what Shallow AL and Jesse Jackass do.....they have one thing in common with the KKK...they are all racist! At least they don't dress up like a bunch of ghost!

#34 Jedi Knight, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is a significant amount of difference between this case and that of Michael Brown. Though I won't belabor the point, Mr Garner was just standing there and began being harassed by police officers. He offered no resistance. He made no threats. He made no violent acts.

Then one came up from behind and put him in an illegal choke hold. He soon passed out and was left alone, without medical attention for 7 minutes. During this time Mr Garner died.

The choke hold the officer place on Mr Garner has been outlawed by the NYPD since 1993 (I believe) because it causes death.

I have little to no hope for racial reconciliation in our country right now. I also have high concern for the growing police state. This must stop today. African Americans are just as human as the rest of us. Yet they have been the victims of police brutality, targeting, shootings, and profiling that does not happen to other races.

That the grand jury refused to indict is really, really troubling. When I heard today, I had to take a few minutes of prayer to calm down. This is all very disturbing.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just watched the video.

That wasn't the rear naked choke hold I've been taught and used. Not really even very close. It looked incomplete and I'm not sure how effective that would be.

Doesn't really matter, I guess, but it wasn't what I was expecting to see.

#36 carpro, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it looks like a Choke Hold; talks like a Choke Hold; Smells like a Choke Hold .... it must be a choke hold! But for some reasons still not known, it was not a choke hold. :tear:

18. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

He did resist arrest and was saying don't touch me ect. and would be alive today if he didn't. Did you even hear what he said? You cannot resist arrest! You are judging blacks as if they are less than other humans by victimizing them is appalling because believe it or not white people do stupid stuff too and get shot and resist arrest ect. Stop measuring by mearly fleshly standard and make a righteous judgment. You and many other"brothers"have a dim view of blacks by acting if they are less than by victimizing them from the rest of the human race.

#38 Jedi Knight, Dec 4, 2014
  19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is not correct. He was being arrested but he refused to put his hands behind him to be handcuffed. He told the police that they had bothered him enough and it was going to stop now. (you can google the exact quote) That was when the officer went to him and used the choke hold and got him to the ground where officers held him down hard. It was clear that the man was resisting and offering veiled threats but it definitely was different from the other case in that the officers never feared for their lives or were being attacked at any point in this episode.

20. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was effective enough to kill him. He didn't have his legs hooked in to flatten him out but he had the arm under the chin enough to sink in the choke. That is the definition of a rear naked choke. We were taught the choke by the Gracie family in the Army back when they were certifying combatives instructors.

#40 Use of Time, Dec 4, 2014