1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ONLY The Originals Are Inspired

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by SGO, Jun 9, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daniel Wallace's review of "The Gospel According to Bart: A Review Article of Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman," Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 49/2 (June 2006) 327–49.

Ehrman's status, according to Ehrman in God’s Problem (New York: HarperCollins, 2008, pp., 2–3)
    On page 3, he says "my strong commitment to the Bible began to wane the more I studied it. I began to realize that rather than being an inerrant revelation from God, inspired in its very words (the view I had at Moody Bible Institute), the Bible was a very human book with all the marks of having come from human hands: discrepancies, contradictions, errors, and different perspectives of different authors living at different times in different countries and writing for different reasons to different audiences with different needs."

While his doubts about the Bible may have laid the groundwork, to be fair Ehrman says that is not what led him to deny the faith. Ehrman writes, "the problems of the Bible are not what led me to leave the faith" but he said that his beliefs about the Bible "could not hold up...to critical scrutiny." He says it was because he came to the point that he "could not believe that there is a good and kindly disposed Ruler who is charge of" what he calls this life which is "a cesspool of misery and suffering." (God’s Problem, p., 3)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originals have never changed, and the peace will be at His second coming.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That man is no textual critic expert, as his views do not square with recognized experts!

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How and what did Bart Ehrman describe in believing the gospel in regards to one becoming saved when he was a professing Christian?

This is an important question.

1 John 5:10, ". . . He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: . . ."

Romans 8:16, ". . . The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: . . ."

John 17:3, ". . . And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, . . ."

And of course contexts.

5. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Scriptural truth concerning a foundation established by God would conflict with any human attempt to make a translation the final authority. "

But that does not stop man from saying there is no inspired scripture today.

Why don't you answer the question I have asked of you twice, now thrice?

What is you word?

You say you have read the KJV for 50 years and that you are a "bible believing man" but it is obvious you do not believe in the KJV.

What about your word?

What "word" do you believe in?

All scripture is given by inspiration of God...
    2 Timothy 3:16

The word of our God shall stand for ever.
    Isaiah 40:8

6. TurtleSox

TurtleSox Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What man are you referring to?

7. TurtleSox

TurtleSox Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can't actually say that from any place of knowledge since the originals are called autographs, and are not available to us.

8. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The word of our God shall stand for ever.
    Isaiah 40:8

9. TurtleSox

TurtleSox Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From a look online:

"The autographs contain the original text, but the original text can exist without them. A text can be preserved in other ways. One such way is that the original text can be preserved in a multiplicity of manuscripts."

The Difference Between Original Autographs and Original Texts.

11. TurtleSox

TurtleSox Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    GC is not credible.

(Sic)"...It was Augustine who first coined the term “inerrant,” and Luther and Calvin can speak of Scripture as free from error."
    The Truthfulness of Scripture: Inerrancy - Articles

* What Is The Didache? Is It Inspired By God?

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you." Deuteronomy 4:2

https://d3hgrlq6yacptf.cloudfront.net/5f4766d57c3ad/content/pages/documents/1333232121.pdf

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is from the same book:

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because?

14. TurtleSox

TurtleSox Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's better if you seek out the evidence yourself. Keywords like, Gospel Coalition Corrupt, will be quite informative I think.

15. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Do you trust that Jesus Christ died for your sins and rose from the dead?

That is where you admit to God that you are a sinner (repentance) and have faith (trust) in what Jesus did for you.

Testifying to both to the Jews,
    and also to the Greeks,
    repentance towards God,
    and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Acts 20:21

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @rlvaughn

This does not answer my question.
    You see, if we actualy know someone. We cannot honestly say there was never such a person. Genuine Christians know God through Christ.

#36 37818, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No thanks. For now I'll trust Michael Kruger, who professes to be a Christian, over Bart Ehrman, who has denied the faith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what I think about Ehrman, but I was trying to give you his answer. That seems to be the way he describes his becoming a Christian. Not sure he ever claims he knew Christ, so far as I can tell. Our churches are filled with people who are doing but not knowing. I'll not go further down that road, since it likely will lead farther and farther from the OP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a list of former professing Christians. This is also a study as to why. The stony ground might be as one reason. The trusting one's own efforts to be a Christian, Matthew 7:22. Can this be prevented? We need to speak the needed truth in love.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. TurtleSox

TurtleSox Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many prefer to ignore the truth they're not ready to face. However a corrupt source, like GC is not credible in an intellectually honest debate.

Bart Ehrman was a professed Christian and had a crisis of faith. This does not mean God lost faith in Bart. Who remains a New Testament Scholar, and is still the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Were he removed from relationship with God, being an agnostic now, one would expect him to resign. Not teach the history of God's New Covenant.

Michael Kruger. Michael Kruger is Presbyterian and Calvinist. Michael Kruger believes Orthodox Christianity is Heresy. And Orthodox Christians are Heretics.