Part II: Biblical Doctrine of Election

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Aug 28, 2020.

1. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God caused all to sin in Adam. And you think sin can regenerate and save itself?

2. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's hard to have a Biblical discussion when the other engineers his words to create a straw man.
    Who here ever told you that man "generates" his faith?
    Non-Calvinists grant that the ability to believe [which is not some supernatural ability in the scriptures], like the ability to choose, is God-given, not man-"generated". Now, you can go on and argue that lost man will never choose right, but that's different than putting words in our mouths about "generating".
    Furthermore, the scriptures explicitly place "faith" in contradistinction to "works" so that a man believing on Christ of his own free will is not counted as a work of God:

3. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smokescreed #10

Notice once again the charge that I believe humans can save themselves. No matter how often I point to scripture that says God alone saves people, the Calvinists keep spreading misrepresentations to deflect discussion from the biblical doctrine of Election.

4. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The five points of Biblical Election (ELECT)

1. Elections - God chose His Redeemer individually (Christ) and all those Christ would redeem corporately before the foundation of the world, the elections before time; and then subsequently chooses believers individually during their lifetime based on crediting their wholehearted faith in Christ, the second election.

2. Love overcomes depravity - Mankind is depraved from conception, separated from God by being in a state of sin with a corrupt flesh and a corrupt human spirit. But God, who understands the heart, accepts the faith, as depraved as it may be, of those who love and trust in His Son.

3. Effective reconciliation - Christ’s propitiation is sufficient to save all men, but the available reconciliation is only received, when God credits our faith as righteousness and spiritually baptizes us into Christ, making us spiritually alive together with Christ.

4. Cultivated call - Turning to God and trusting in Christ occur when receptive people hear the gospel and believe. Thus faith in Christ is spread by an external call to those who receive the gospel wholeheartedly.

5. Trust in Faith - Only by persevering in faith can a believer be sure of salvation, because God protects the faith of His chosen ones.[

5. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, my understanding allows me to rebuke your ignorance. You have erected a false teaching and call others who do not follow your path...ignorant. You speak to your own folly.

6. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smokescreed #11

7. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If salvation is conditional, you save yourself and rob God of his glory in the matter.

8. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    George, you must never read Van's comments.

9. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevant response #11 from Van. Likely because you have no legitimate position.

10. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fiction, Scripture refers to the personal possession of faith because it was given to individuals to posses, not something innate.

You then deny
    12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.”​

You also deny
    17So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

You also deny
    1Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: 2Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. 4For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust​

Three witness against you, Van. John, Paul, and Peter.

They knew that “in the flesh there is nothing good.”

11. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van does.

He considers all humankind have innate faith by pointing to the personal pronouns associated with faith in Scriptures.

He also holds to a type of conditional election. He does so by trying to present God as judging the human conjured faith to see if it worthy of being credited for righteousness.

He presents that humans can actually prevent others from entering the kingdom of heaven.

And other concepts which he has departed from Scriptures.

12. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More fiction, no scriptural support. Notice that scripture says when we repent, we glorify God, the exact opposite of Calvinism.

13. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smokescreed #12

14. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you define law and what it depends on? It means you must freely choose to obey it to reap the rewards or be punished.

This is how you turn the gospel into law, denying salvation by grace. And the law cannot save. So you have many lost people who think they are saved when they are not.

15. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You give a false report against Calvinism.

16. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on folks, Calvinist post fiction. Does being saved by God alone support we are saved by the will of God? Of course, so misrepresentation #1.
    Did I and do I deny faith comes from hearing [with understanding] the gospel? Nope, thus misrepresentation #2.
    2 Peter 2:1 provides no support for Calvinism. The letter is addressed to those who have a faith" i.e those who also have been saved as Peter and his colleagues, those who have been born anew. Thus His "divine power" caused them to be born anew. And those in Christ are those Jesus "richly knows." And of course as a child of God we have been granted His promised new birth, thus partakers of the divine nature, having escaped our corruption, thus made holy and blameless by the blood of the Lamb.
    Did I deny that those whose mind is set on fleshly desires cannot please God? Nope

This is all Calvinist have, misrepresent scripture and the views of non-Calvinists,

17. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevant response #12

18. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So...those who are dead in their trespasses and sins do not have faith. Is this statement correct? Yes or no is sufficient.

19. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pay no attention to this misrepresentation.
    Did I claim we have "innate faith" Nope But this Calvinist is allowed to post this misrepresentation over and over.
    Did I claim our faith is "worthy?" Nope, I claimed the opposite, it is as worthless as a filthy rag.
    Did I claim Matthew 23:13 means what it says? Yes. Did this Calvinist address the verse? Nope Instead he denies the very words of Christ. Go figure.
    Do I ever depart from scripture? Nope, but I provide dozens of scriptural passages which demonstrate Calvinism is unbiblical.

But are my actual posts addressed? Nope. Strawman arguments to change the subject from Election doctrine are hoisted over and over.

20. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smokescreed #13