Poll: Tongues

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gershom, May 24, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

77.2%
  2. No

22.8%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. prophecynut New Member

179 posts and we still have those unable to overcome their pride in counterfeiting the gifts of the Holy Spirit. The babbling we hear today is offensive and on par with Acts 5:3 when Ananias lied to the Holy Spirit. No one better perform their deception in the church I attend, they would be asked to leave.

Two for DHK.

2. EaglewingIS4031 New Member

There has been a lot of post on this topic in only a few weeks. This is on PAGE #13. I have not had time to read all of them yet but I will. If something simular to my opinion has already been posted them I aplogize.

I believe the tounges that are exibited today in the Charismatic and Pentecostal churches are anti-biblical heresy. The same heresey that Paul rebuked in I Cor. 12-14. The kind of spiirtual gifts that were exibited in Actss Chapters 2,8,& 10, ceased at the close of the Cannon.
    These were human languages used to further the Gospel. Refer to Acts 2:7-8

Once the Cannon was complete circa AD 95, there was no need for the spontanious outburst of tounges to spread the Gospel. Instead God used faithful men to translate the scripturtes in to other toungues. By this method, the Church speakes in new toungues.

Does the SBC, of which I am a member, speak in other tounges? Yes every time we support a missionary, who ministers to a people that does not speak Hebrew, Aramaic , or Greek the SBC is speaking in new toungues.

I am also a member of the Gidieons International a para church organazation the that exist in 179 countries and distributes Bibles in 80 languages. Every time a church gives to a ministry like the Gideons it is speaking in other tounges.

These so called tounges that people see today, with out interpretation only serve to edify the individual person and seperate the church and destroy the ministry of the Gospel. I do not believe that this kind of tounge speaking is from above!

This is My IMHO!
    Eaglewing

3. Brian30755 New Member

Don't you understand WHY? I ASKED God to fill me with his Holy Spirit and to give me the gift of speaking in other tongues. Guess what? He did! Doesn't feel like pride or counterfeiting to me....and I'm sure it doesn't to the millions of others who speak in tongues.

Do some fake it? I'm sure they do. Why they fake it? I don't know.

How would someone know if they were speaking Cree, Hindi, Punjabi, Baluchi, etc., if you've never heard these languages (if these are real languages?)??? How would I know if the language God gave me is the language of some tribe in the jungles of Africa (and maybe God has plans to send me there someday)?

4. KINGSDAUGHTER New Member

Do you always tell God which small box you want him to fit in ?

5. dianetavegia Guest

Isn't it amazing that Kingsdaughter has been a member since Oct. 2004 and her FIRST post is pro tongues. Seems like a lot of people from Netherlands believes in tongues.

6. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Er...Kingsdaughter is from the US it would appear :confused:

Yours in Christ

Matt

7. dianetavegia Guest

8. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't understand!? Where's the picture from and what does it mean?

Yours in Christ

Matt

9. prophecynut New Member

Isa. 65:1 NIV
    "I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me."

John 15:16
    "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last."

Please consult the dictionary for the meaning of 'appointed'.

If you are saved then it was given to you by the grace of God, nothing you can do to earn it. Same way with the gifts of the Spirit, if you had to ask for tongues, God did not give it to you.

10. ASLANSPAL New Member

Just an observation on the poll, seems as if there has been a sea change in regard to this.
    In the 80's you would definitely would have
    been asked to leave a bible or baptist church.

I have heard fakes and it always seems to be about
    puffing up themselves...and I have met people who
    keep it very personal and private and they are
    wonderful christians...so time goes on and I wonder what this poll will be like 5 years from
    now. Very interesting poll ...I thought it would
    be overwhelming against tongues.

11. Brian30755 New Member

So if you know that God did NOT give it to me, I suppose you know who DID give it to me then, huh?

12. atestring New Member

Others mocked saying they are full of new
    wine.
    then Peter standing up in the midst of them saying these are not drunk with wine as ye suppose ( for it is only the third hour of the day) but
    this
    is
    that
    which was spoken by the Propet Joel,
    In the last days sayeth the Lord I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, your young men shall see visions , your young men shall dream dreams and upon your serevants and thy handmaidens will i pour out my Spirit...

13. drspinko New Member

Really? So I'm not supposed to ask God for anything? Not according tho these verses:

MT 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

MT 7:11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

1CO 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.

14. drspinko New Member

Actually she didn't say anything about being "pro-tongues". She simply stated something that we all do - we often put God in a box.

15. drspinko New Member

I actually heard a testimony last night relevant to this topic.

I was at a small group meeting at church and a family from the church had just returned from a mission trip to South Africa and was sharing their testimony of what happened on the trip. (From what I've been told, they regularly go on these kinds of trips). Anyway the lady told about how she had gone to some extremely poor people's house (shack) in an area ravaged with aids and poverty. Someone in the house she visited had a badly gangrenous foot. She felt led by the Spirit to pray for the person and she put her hand on the person's leg while praying. She heard the Lord say (not audibly) "put your hand on the foot". She REALLY didn't want to and tried to dismiss the idea, but the Lord was persistant (as He often is!) and so she finally relented. As soon as she put her hand on the person's foot, she said she burst forth in an unknown language for a few minutes while the others in the house listened. The mother of the house (who was an alcoholic) began to weep and then gave her life to Christ. The missionary lady had spoken to them in their native tongue about the current condition of their lives and their need for Christ! Also, the foot was healed!

Now I'm as much of a skeptic as the next guy, but even though I don't personally know these people I have a former missionary friend who has known them for years and knows them to be legitimate.

16. drspinko New Member

Isa. 65:1 NIV
    "I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me."

John 15:16
    "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last."

Please consult the dictionary for the meaning of 'appointed'.

If you are saved then it was given to you by the grace of God, nothing you can do to earn it. Same way with the gifts of the Spirit, if you had to ask for tongues, God did not give it to you.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Also, just because you ask for and receive something doesn't mean that you've earned it. Didn't you ask Christ to save you and change you?

17. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I challenge you to look up "unknown" in the Greek. My 12 year old daughter can do it for you, and she has never studied the language. I gave her a Greek lexicon this morning and asked her to look up the word logos writing it out only in Greek letters. It took her less than 3 minutes to find it. I am sure that she can do the same with words such as glossa and teleios. It is just a matter of looking the Greek word up in a Greek dictionary that has the English meaning. That is what is called a Greek lexicon. But first go to a Greek New Testament and find the word "unknown" and tell me what it is. It ain't there Ed. It just ain't there. Now look in your KJV. See, it is in italics. Italics don't make the word more important; they mean that word is not in the Greek. It was supplied by the translators. Even the KJV translators are honest enough to admit that the word "unknown" is not in our Bible. So you are barking up the wrong tree.
    So take your own challenge Ed:
    My 12 year old can give a better answer than you have, and she has never studied the subject (tongues)
    DHK

18. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then show me from Scripture where I am wrong, or how I am wrong.
    Stop making an allegation or assertion, and show me how or where anything that I have said it is out of context, or Biblically wrong. I don't see anything that you have said (in this post) to back up your blind assertion.
    I never studied this subject in any detail at seminary. The conclusions I have come to I have come to from my own personal Bible study, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

19. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Don't you understand WHY? I ASKED God to fill me with his Holy Spirit and to give me the gift of speaking in other tongues. Guess what? He did! Doesn't feel like pride or counterfeiting to me....and I'm sure it doesn't to the millions of others who speak in tongues.</font>[/QUOTE]You asked God, but you can't be sure that it was God that gave you that experience. Satan could have given it to you to satisfy your carnal desries. Speaking in tongues is of the flesh. It is fleshly and carnal experience. This is precisely what Paul was rebuking.
    So, how can you be absolutely sure that it was God that gave you this so-called gift to speak in tongues. Tongues have ceased. I don't believe that the source of modern day tongues is from God.
    Even you admit the same.
    That's your problem. You don't know. You are most likely praising Satan. Ever think of that? You don't know what you are saying. You are not likely to be in the presence of Cree speaking people, or people from the jungles of Africa when you live in the good ol' U.S.A. The plenty of Crees on the reservations around here in Edmonton. How many are there in Georgia? How many attend the church that you go to? How many still speak their native language, better than they speak English? Of the six languages I mentioned I can recgonize them all as languages, and am conversant in at least two of them. Languages are easily recognizable as languages. Gibberish is recognizable as gibberish also. It has no vocabulary, structure, grammar, style, etc. It is simply the same string of syllables repeated over and over again--easily recognizable as modern-day tongues. They are not Biblical tongues, that is, real foreign languages.

When you speak in your "tongues" and you don't know what you are saying you are disobeying the Scriptures. Paul said if you don't have an interpreter so that there is understanding and ALL (including yourself) could understand, then shut up and keep quiet. It is not permitted for you to speak in tongues in the church without an interpreter. It is not permitted for anyone to speak in tongues anywhere but in the church, for tongues was a gift given exclusively to the local church.
    DHK

20. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you always tell God which small box you want him to fit in ? </font>[/QUOTE]I think you should ask yourself that question. God does not go against his Word.