Pope Francis: "Hell Does Not Exist"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by InTheLight, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why there exists an eternal hell though!

2. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by "hell"?

Are you talking about an eternal existence of the lake of fire? If so, perhaps.

If you are talking about eternal conscious torment, I don't think scripture supports that, as I have demonstrated.

If you are talking about capital punishment, which has eternal consequences, I agree.

3. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eternal existence, apart from knowing and experiencing the very presense of God!

4. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Scripture tells us the opposite.

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God Himself sees being alive in hell superior to just being burnt up and disappearing!

6. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he does not.

Being consumed in the lake of fire is the horrible fate of those who reject God.

If you are going to continue to make assertions, please back them up with scripture. I am trying to have a biblical discussion because unsupported opinions are worthless if we are going to be faithful disciples of Jesus.

7. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stated that there will be a place of eternal suffering , with waling and gnashing of teeth, and those in hades right now who are lost have yet to face the GWT, as they will be judged according to their works, and there are varying level of punishment in hell, but if all burnt up, how can that be true?

8. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please show me the words of Jesus that describe eternal conscious suffering.

Regarding varying levels of punishment, some will burn longer than others before they are consumed. Or perhaps, there are varying levels of punishment in Hades (current location of the rebellious dead), and the lake of fire will finally end it.

9. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would there not be an eternal distinction though between varying degrees of Hell, so to speak?

10. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Torment in the lake of fire is not eternal. Duration of suffering could be the primary distinction.

11. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you see the torment as being literal fires?

12. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The leading biblical image is of a fire. Fire is painful and consumes. However, there are other biblical images of persons being slain, put into outer darkness, etc.

The idea is that it is bad and that it is final. Moreover, the scripture is clear that the torment/suffering eventually ends.

13. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that the scriptures would support instead an eternal Hell, but with different degrees of judgement/punishment applied by God...

14. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they?

You keep asserting that they do, but cannot seem to demonstrate it. Is the scripture authoritative or not? I have used an extensive amount of scripture to show that the idea of eternal conscience suffering is not something that God wants, nor is something that will happen. You are simply making assertions. Your opinions and my opinions are irrelevant.

I realize that you don't want to accept the idea that the wicked will not live forever, and that's your choice. But don't you dare claim that "the scriptures support" something unless you are willing to demonstrate it with scripture.

I don't know why you are so fixated upon degrees of punishment. That is ultimately irrelevant to the issue. Any level of punishment means one is eternally lost.

Please do not respond to anything I have said here unless you are willing to provide a SCRIPTURAL argument -- that means providing scriptural references that you believe demonstrates your position.

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An eternal Hell has always seen as being the orthodox Christian position, correct?

16. Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pope Francis is antichrist and may be THE Antichrist.

17. Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judgment Before the Great White Throne
    Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

18. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

And you really need to define what you mean by "eternal hell." I have been assuming you mean 'eternal conscious torment', but I have no way of really knowing what you mean because you will not use scripture or biblical terminology.

19. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. I affirm every bit of that.

The scripture says it is the "second death", not eternal conscious torment.

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Place where people still live forever more, a place devoid of the very prsense of God.