Reformed Altar Calls?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Tom Butler New Member

That, and those who base their hope on "I said the prayer."

2. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1.... Go back to the post....I wasnt addressing it to you but Saturn Neptune

2. I dont have it all figured out & I wasnt a Baptist at the time. I had no convictions but to sin & do it mightily.

3. I am not stepping foot in any Church that does alter calls....period.:D

3. preacher4truth Active Member

No way!!! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Bite yo tongue! :tongue3: :laugh:

4. DaChaser1 New Member

you mean that God will get into heaven those who speak in tongues, KJVO, baptised by sprinkling, baptised Infants etc along with Baptists?

5. preacher4truth Active Member

You're a Maverick!!! No wait, maybe you're a Mercury Comet instead! :wavey: :love2: :laugh:

Oh, by the way, many churches are filled with those who got saved at an invitation. I'm talking genuine salvation, showing fruit, changed heart/life.

6. preacher4truth Active Member

What's the sign on their church say? :thumbsup: :tongue3: :laugh:

7. Amy.G New Member

Yes. Shocking isn't it? :laugh:

8. saturneptune New Member

Have you read any of my posts. I grew up in a church that is their claim to fame, and yes, I fully, 100%, believe God is sovereign. Maybe my wording was bad. Have you read the posts on this board about Doctrines of Grace? How much could one learn or be edified by the garbage that is thrown back and forth between the two sides? I refuse to bring that into the place I worship the Lord. Of course DOG makes a difference in salvation.

I believe you know exactly what I meant. If the Lord has chosen someone, then they will be saved whether or not they agree with me or not. It is not something I am going to rip the church in half (or in our case about 15%) over like if someone was saying Jesus is not the Son of God, is God, and is our only way of salvation. If someone was requiring Baptism for salvation, that is a different story. For example, brother Tom and I disagree about open and closed communion within the church. I admire him and look to him for advice on many areas of spiritual life, but this is one area he missed the mark. (lol) We do not tear the church up over it. We talk about it in a very civil way.

It seems to me you make this an issue on the same level as the Divinty of Christ, which is where something would have to be before I would interject myself into something that could destroy a local church.

Without the Lord regenerating me, and having chosen me, I would be as lost as I was the day I was born. He did everything, the faith to believe, the gift of salvation, and the desire to tell others about the Gospel. If some people on this board spent as much time spreading the Gospel to the lost as they do defending Armininism or Calvinism (what a guy to name a doctrine after), maybe their churches would be filled with more saved people (that the Lord chose). What does any of this have to do with not having an altar call?

I get the feeling you like to take different interpretations of what people say, and suit it to your position. There is no way you thought that I meant what you implied I said.

9. preacher4truth Active Member

lol...I had a guy tell me he wouldn't come to our church, so I asked him why not. He told me "'cause it says 'Baptist' on it, and they cut of his head" while making the throat slicing motion. :laugh:

I asked him what it should say. He tells me it must say "Church of Christ just like in the Bible!!!" So I asked what do we do with the passage that says "Churches of God?" and he says "You're trying to confuse me!" and we both kind of laughed for a minute.

He and his wife became faithful to coming to church after that. :laugh: :wavey:

10. Tom Butler New Member

Originally Posted by saturneptune What is the purpose of manufactured conflict in a local church for a doctirne that makes no difference in anyone's salvation. It is fine here on this board, but I am not going to worship at a local church that centers around conflict about DOG, Bible versions, end of times, etc instead of Jesus Christ and the Gospel. The local church would be a reflection of some of the threads on this board on Calvinsim. Been there done that.

Since SN and I serve the same church, I know what he's talking about, so let me expand on his post.

We are part of a small number of folks who are DoGs. We are in a minority in our church. Our pastor is not a DoG. But his preaching is sound, and his calls to repentance and faith are Biblical. His view of salvation is the same as SN's and mine.

We are not about to start a crusade to convert everybody to DoG. We're not about to get into conflict over eschatology. At worst, we may have some friendly discussions, but we're not going to unnecessarily foment conflict.

Any disagreements we have over DoG, or anything else, will be argued here on the BB, but not in our church. If our pastor is preaching heresy, then I'll tear the place apart. But not just so my view prevails.

Our church went through conflict years ago. We hate it, and are willing to go a long way to preserve the unity which we have now. That means we are careful about the battles we pick.

11. DaChaser1 New Member

My situation is the opposite!
    pastor is an "evangelical arminian" with many elders cal!

Congregation split on that issue!(NOT split like the church, but on IF one is cal or arm!)

We agree to disagree and go forward for common cause of Christ!

12. saturneptune New Member

The first problem is elder rule.

13. gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would disagree in that when Paul planted churches he was the only elder. In scripture there is more than one method. The real issue is the people not the place of position. I have seen congregational ruled churches falling apart and elder ruled churches falling apart. There is no secret found in the office but God working through people.

In scripture we find leaders appointed, selected, and church planter. The most important in that is who are the leaders. They must have proven themselves first.

As churches grow the methodology will change. A church of 10,000 will be led very differently than a church of two or three.

14. DaChaser1 New Member

Why is that?

Don't baptist churches have an Elder board, along with pastor(s)?

15. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How bout RC's? :tongue3:

16. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is what it is.:tongue3:

17. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1st problem is Arminian Pastor then a blended church. Id never go to them.

18. preacher4truth Active Member

LOL!!! I knew someone would come through!!!!

Your GIANTS better win!

19. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Presbyterians do.

Baptists have seen two offices (bishop and deacon: Phil. 1:1, I Tim. 3) in Scripture. They do not see a separate third office of elder.

20. DaChaser1 New Member

saved by the election of God, despite their bad theology!