1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Regeneration

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by glad4mercy, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I read from, looks a bit different than yours, so I'm trying to determine where the "when" came from...NKJV?

" Now concerning spiritual [gifts], brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
    2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
    3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and [that] no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
    4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
    5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
    6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
    7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
    8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
    9 to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
    10 to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
    11 but all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."
    ( 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 ).

"When" I was a Gentile?
    I still am, in a manner of speaking.

But, all believers are made "nigh" by the blood of Christ ( Ephesians 2:11-18 ), and are this:

" Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;" ( Ephesians 2:19 ).:)

2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see how you connect them, and I agree, for the most part...but not with Matthew 19:28.

I'm not a "dispie", but it seems I have both aspects of Dispensationalism and Covenentalism in my understanding.;)

However, I don't like trying to fit Scripture into "frameworks", so I shy away from anything "systematic" as much as possible.:)

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ASV

1 Corinthians 12:2 You know that when you were pagans, you were influenced and led astray to mute idols.

No, you're a Jew:

29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Ro 2

...you're the circumcision:

2 Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the concision:
    3 for we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God, and glory in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh: Phil 3

...you're the Israel of God:

15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
    16 And as many as shall walk by this rule, peace be upon them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. Gal 6

• Like Like x 2
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revealing Grace + Repentance + Faith + Election + Spiritual Baptism + Conversion + Indwelling = Salvation + Good Works

Where:

Revealing Grace = hearing and understanding the call through the gospel of Christ.

Repentance + Faith = turning from our self-centered life to trusting in Christ alone with our life, now and forever.

Election = God choosing for salvation those whose faith He credits as righteousness.

Spiritual Baptism = God sets a person apart by placing them spiritually “in Christ.”

Conversion = Once “in Christ” a person undergoes the circumcision of Christ and arises “in Christ” a new creation, created for good works. It is a spiritual work of God, not us changing our minds. As a new creation we have been "regenerated" or originated again. We have been made alive together with Christ. When we are "born anew" we are born spiritually alive in Christ whereas originally we were born spiritually dead outside of Christ in iniquity.

Indwelling = After God puts us spiritually in Christ, He seals us with the Holy Spirit forever. The Holy Spirit provides each born anew (converted) believer with light to understand the meat of God’s word, awareness of the will of God, and brings to mind our sins such that we are convicted. As we grow more mature, we will exhibit the fruit of the Spirit.

Salvation = First our "spiritual baptism into Christ" results in "positional sanctification" freeing us from the penalty of sin; Next as our indwelt Holy Spirit leads us from new born Christian to Christian maturity describes our "progressive sanctification" freeing us from the power of sin; and finally our adoption in glorified bodies at Christ's second coming results in our "ultimate sanctification" freeing us from the presence of sin.

Good Works = reflects our accomplishments for Christ after our positional sanctification and conversion during the remainder of our physical lifetime. If we build on Christ's foundation, we will enter heaven "abundantly" but if our "good works" burn up like straw, we still enter heaven, but as one escaping from a fire.

5. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ooo...you're a sneaky one.:Sneaky
    I can't disagree with you, though.;)

Thanks for pointing those out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Christ, where there is neither Jew nor Gentile. (Galatians 3:28)

We will reign with Christ on the earth. Revelation 5:10

That goes back to "in the regeneration, you shall sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes."

• Like Like x 1
  7. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would put election first, as we were chosen before the foundation of the world.

Spiritual baptism, Conversion, indwelling, happen at the same time.

Salvation is elect, predestined, called, regenerated, justified, adopted sanctified, and glorified, all are comprehended in salvation.

Works are what we are saved unto. Not part of salvation, but one part of the purpose in God saving. The main purpose in God saving us is to the praise of His Glory, the second is that we love Him, and the third is that we love one another. Love produces good works.

Blessings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Glad4mercy, our view of scripture differs.

Your view is Ephesians 1:4 refers to an individual election before creation. My view is it refers to a corporate election, when God individually chose the Word to be His Redeemer, He therefore chose everyone His Redeemer would redeem corporately, that is why it reads "chose us in Him."

Spiritual baptism (being placed in Christ) Conversion and Indwelling happen without delay, but in that sequence, and not simultaneously. You must be in Christ to be sealed in Christ.

Yes we are born anew for good works, which is what I said. Good Works = reflects our accomplishments for Christ after our positional sanctification and conversion during the remainder of our physical lifetime. If we build on Christ's foundation, we will enter heaven "abundantly" but if our "good works" burn up like straw, we still enter heaven, but as one escaping from a fire.

Another way to demonstrate our individual election occurred during our lifetime is to understand James 2:5, God chose us as (1) poor to the world, (2) rich in faith, and (3) heirs to the kingdom promised to those who love God. Therefore our individual election before creation is precluded by scripture.

9. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are elect according to the foreknowledge of God. The rest of your post I am fine with, except I hold that spiritual baptism and indwelling are two aspects of the same event. We are baptized into Christ and the Spirit indwells us the moment we believe. On that we can agree to disagree. I don’t want to split hairs on the latter point.

Blessings

• Like Like x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again we must be in Christ in order to sealed in Christ. Ephesians 1:13
    My understanding of "foreknowledge"as used in scripture is probably different from yours. Foreknowledge refers to using or implementing knowledge, such as a prior plan, in the present. Thus Christ was put to death according to the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God.

Lets take another example, Paul was raised as a Pharisee. The people who grew up with him had that knowledge from the past. Acts 26:5. Now translations vary but the word "knew" actually means foreknew, or to know beforehand, sometime in the past.

11. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precious little or no mention of 'sin', by experts on a subject for which they say they have been introduced and possess, gives me pause.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So. Wow. Does your passage overrule/cancel out/contradict my passage?

If the Church/children of promise is not 'the Israel of God', then who is?

15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
    16 And as many as shall walk by this rule, peace be upon them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. Gal 6

15 having abolished in the flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; that he might create in himself of the two one new man, so making peace; Eph 2

13. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because you have to have aspects of both to be biblical.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    baptism into Christ and sealed by the Spirit are both results of saving faith. So why shouldn’t they be simultaneous?

we were foreknown before the foundation of the world. God does not take in new knowledge.

15. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I completely accept what these verses say. But they do not overrule or cancel out what Paul said in Romans 11 either.

The Israel of God is that Olive tree in Romans 11. Some, not all, of the natural branches broken off and we grafted in. God is able to graft the natural branches back in. Then the kicker...Blindness in part has come upon Israel UNTIL the fullness of the Gentiles come in.

See also Romans 11:11-15

• Like Like x 1
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To repeat once again, and shown in Ephesians 1:13, we must be put into Christ before we can be sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit.

Where did you see "saving faith" in scripture? What scripture actually says is God chooses us for salvation through (1) the sanctification by the Spirit, and (2) faith in the truth. Sanctification by the Spirit refers to God setting us apart in Christ and presents the means of our election, and through faith in the truth refers to God crediting our faith to us as righteousness, and presents the basis of our conditional election for salvation. 2 Thessalonians 2:13

17. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a theory.

What 'if' the Holy Spirit in a child of God were to look for

'What God would have us to Understand'?

...rather than,
    'Calvin was a man and people that I think are Calvinist add to the Scripture?'

This First Mention in The Bible that Records where
    Abraham "believed in The Lord",
    says, "he believed in the Lord".

Genesis 15:6 "And he believed in the LORD;
    and he counted it to him for righteousness".

* "And he believed in the Lord..."
    The Targums of Onkelos and Jonathan are,

``in the Word of the Lord;''

in the essential Word of the Lord,
    in Christ the Lord his righteousness;

he believed in the promise of God,
    that he should have a seed,
    and a very numerous one;

he believed that the Messiah
    would spring from his seed;

he believed in him as his Saviour and Redeemer;

he believed in him for righteousness,
    and he believed in his righteousness
    as justifying him before God:

My Note:

Abraham believed
    in JESUS' LIFE, DEATH, and RESURRECTION for Righteousness,

and Abraham believed in JESUS' Righteousness
    as JESUS' LIFE, DEATH, and RESURRECTION

as The ACTIVITY of God in Justifying Abraham before God:

to JUSTIFY
    Abraham's UNJUSTNESS.

Abraham was
    Saved by The Savior from his SIN.

JESUS is THE SAVIOR.

"and he counted it to him for righteousness";

not the act of his faith, but the object of it,

My Note: The Object of Abraham's Faith was
    THE TRIUNE GODHEAD;

and Their Accomplishment of The Eternal Plan of Salvation,
    through Jesus' Death, Burial, and Resurrection.

he counted it >
    The Object of Abraham's Faith,
    THE SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, and Jesus' Death, Burial, and Resurrection.
    <
    to him for righteousness"

and not the promise he believed,
    but what was promised,

and his faith received,
    even Christ and his righteousness
    this was imputed to him without works,

and while he was an uncircumcised person,
    for the proof of which the apostle produces this passage, ( Romans 4:3 Romans 4:10 Romans 4:23 Romans 4:24 ) ;

wherefore this is not to be understood
    of any action of his being esteemed
    and accounted a righteous one,

and he pronounced
    and acknowledged a righteous person on account of it;

for Abram was not justified before God
    by his own works,

but by the righteousness of faith,
    as all that believe are,

that is, by the righteousness of Christ
    revealed to faith, and received by it:

what is imputed is without a man,
    and the imputation of it depends upon the will of another;

Note: THE TRIUNE GODHEAD; and Their Accomplishment of The Eternal Plan of Salvation, through Jesus' Death, Burial, and Resurrection.

such the righteousness of Christ
    without works imputed by God the Father.

This is the first time we read of believing,
    and as early do we hear of imputed righteousness.

My Note: We do not 'hear' of Imputed Rightiousness here, and yet we understand that from the Teaching of the rest of The Bible, which we have.

*this info is Gill,
    from: Genesis 15:6 Commentary - John Gill's Exposition of the Bible

...on which subject I would like to repeat:

I have a theory.

What 'if' the Holy Spirit in a child of God were to look for

'What God would have us to Understand'?

...rather than,
    'Calvin was a man
    and people that I think are Calvinist
    add to the Scripture?'

#37 Alan Gross, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  18. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    the only thing Ephesians 1:13 states as a prerequisite to being sealed is the hearing of faith

you are conflating election and salvation. Election happened in eternity past, salvation occurs in time

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I for the most part love your post. Just want to be clear about the Calvin part. I am not a Calvinist, though I find some Calvinist teachers to be deeply edifying

I have not come to my views by studying Calvin or Calvinists. I came to them by studying scripture. The thing I learned by studying Calvinism is that I had in times past BADLY misunderstood their positions.

I used to be rabidly anti Calvinist. My Hyper Arminian views were softened by thirty plus years of reading scripture. My new attitude towards Calvinists, which is extremely friendly even though I am not personally a Calvinist, is due to me honestly trying to understand their position fairly and accurately

Btw, I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian. I am simply a conservative evangelical.

• Like Like x 1
  20. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    second reply... I don’t think the OT saints grasped fully the work that Christ would do. It had not been fully revealed to them, only in shadows and types

sometimes people prophesied, I think, without understanding the full implication of what they were saying. Like when Abraham said “God will provide...”

• Like Like x 1