1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Regeneration

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by glad4mercy, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry you have decided to disregard Ephesians 1:13.

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed - where is the person after "having also believed?" In Him (Christ). Then what? You are sealed in Him. Where are you when sealed? In Him.

I am presenting truth which is a plain as day.

2. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the only thing I know about Calvin is a couple of things I read here.

Now, I think somebody needs to learn to say, "The Word of The Lord came to me", besides those that don't even make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that that is the logical order. I just do not see any temporal gap between the two in scripture

it’s just like justification and faith. You cannot be justified apart from faith, but justification occurs simultaneously with faith, right?

so why would there be any temporal gap between being baptized into Christ and being sealed? Wouldn’t both occur the moment we believe?

God isn’t like us. He can do more than one thing at a time

4. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your view on regeneration? How we understand regeneration is a hinge as to how we understand the other aspects of salvation

• Like Like x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said they occur in that sequence according to scripture, and did not say there was a "temporal gap" between the events. I did say they did not happen simultaneously.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we put our faith in Christ, and then God, if He chooses, credits our faith in Christ as righteousness, and if He does, He then spiritually puts us in Christ (transfers us, baptizes us, sanctifies us - all referring to the changed spiritual location). After we are in Christ, we undergo the circumcision of Christ which removes what God held against us, so we arise in Christ a new creation, justified. No one is justified outside of being spiritually in Christ.

And again the circumcision of Christ and the washing of regeneration both refer to the process which results in our being justified, now and forever.

#46 Van, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  7. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like your faith is in your own choice, with the outside chance that God will think so highly of you that He calls you righteous. "My what a special and righteous man is Van! I must credit his self-willed faith as righteousness because he's Van the Man.!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note once again my view has been misrepresented.

Did I say we put our faith in Christ all on our own? Nope. Can we do it without being drawn? Nope
    Did I say God "must" credit a person's faith as righteousness? Nope, think Matthew 7, or the second and third soils of Matthew 13.
    All these guys do is post fabrications.

OTOH, my view is supported by scripture. Romans 4:4-5 indicates God credits our faith. Ask yourself, how many times in scripture do we read, "his faith" or "your faith?" About a dozen times. How many times do we read "his God gifted faith" or "your God gifted faith?" Never, not once.

So they post disparagements Go figure

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not work my soul to save,
    For this my Lord has done;
    But I will work like any slave,
    For love of God's dear Son. "... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who gave Abraham faith? Did Abraham conjure it by his own free will?

Romans 4:1-25 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.” Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness. How then was it counted to him? Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised. He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well, and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised. For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith. For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression. That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.” He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness of Sarah’s womb. No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

Romans 5:1-11 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 11 reveals future for Israel

12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In most of it, I agree.

But Gentile believers are spiritual Israel, grafted in to the olive tree ( Romans 11:13-24 ).

• Like Like x 1
  13. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they do not happen simultaneously, there is a temporal (time) gap. I see no need for that, neither scriptural nor logically

just like there is no time gap between regeneration and faith, nor between faith and justification

14. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    we being wild branches are grafted in, but Israel’s PARTIAL blindness is temporary, UNTIL the fulness of Gentiles are brought in.

the fulness of the Elect Gentiles, that is

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and so all Israel, the Israel of God, shall be saved.;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is no “if”. EVERYONE who puts faith in Christ is saved.

question. Does faith and justification happen instantantaneoslyat the same time?

how about regeneration and faith?

17. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    so in context, the preceding and following verses, who is this talking about?

18. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean the Israel spoken of in Romans
    11:11-12, and verses 15, 23, and verses 27-30?

19. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    spiritual Israel is all believers, whether Jew or Gentile. But the Israel that is blinded, will one day see. Yet,the Bible would seem to say that it will take a time of great trouble followed by a miraculous intervention from God.

the prophets spoke of these things, including Ezekiel and Zachariah and others

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You've got it reversed with "some, not all". 'Some', a remnant according to the election of grace, remained. The rest were hardened, cast out, and the kingdom given to others as prophesied:

11 And I say unto you, that many shall come from the east and the west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven:
    12 but the sons of the kingdom shall be cast forth into the outer darkness: there shall be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth. Mt 8

41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those miserable men, and will let out the vineyard unto other husbandmen, who shall render him the fruits in their seasons.
    42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, The same was made the head of the corner; This was from the Lord, And it is marvelous in our eyes?
    43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken away from you, and shall be given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. Mt 21

28 There shall be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and yourselves cast forth without.
    29 And they shall come from the east and west, and from the north and south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. Lu 13

Dispies have built quite the narrative surrounding the 'grafting back in' of Ro 11. But I remind you, we're one now, not two:
    14 For he is our peace, who made both one, and brake down the middle wall of partition,
    15 having abolished in the flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; that he might create in himself of the two one new man, so making peace;
    16 and might reconcile them both in one body unto God through the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: Eph 2

15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
    16 And as many as shall walk by this rule, peace be upon them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. Gal 6

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice: and they shall become one flock, one shepherd. Jn 10

You Dispies make a distinction where God no longer does and foresee 'two flocks' again in the future. God's not going undo and 'make of the one, two. This kingdom is an everlasting kingdom of which there will be no end.

• Like Like x 1