1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rev. 9:10: Historical Facts vs. Futurist Fiction

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HIS soon is different from mere human soon.

And all the rhetoric one can post is no substitute for the FACT that those events haven't yet happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did His second Coming usher in resurrection for all of the saved?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ lied or was wrong is the same option not two different options. You did not even give a second option.

The Cross was the end of the age they were in. They did not even ask the right question. The Second Coming will be future until the church is complete. The destruction in 70AD is not a sign of the Second Coming. The Second Coming is not a sign that destruction will happen in 70AD. Obviously it is 2021, and 70 AD was in the past. Jesus never said when the age would end. Jesus did not know Himself and could answer that as easily as they themselves could, by, "I don't know." The age had not even started yet, because the Cross was still a day away. Jesus told them what would happen at the Second Coming and it was a totally different answer than the destruction that did happen in 70AD that was soon.

Jesus did not lie. Neither did Jesus say the destruction and His Second Coming were the same event. Jesus did not know the time of the Second Coming. He did know what would happen. What Jesus claims happens has not happened yet, no matter how much one makes pretzels out of Scripture. His glorious throne in not set up in Jerusalem. It was not set up in 70AD. Jerusalem had to lay desolate for many years, before the soon return. It was soon on the merit of being unknown, not on the merit of expediency. There is a difference.

4. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although I can see how you wouldn't think this historical fact really makes any real difference in the futurist vs Preterist debate, I can't see how this could possibly refute Preterism. I'm sure you will try to find a way, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I have already shown in post #3 in this thread that the preterist claims about historical information that supposedly shows that Revelation 9:10 has already been fulfilled is a faulty claim.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's just another prophesied event that hasn't yet occurred.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That the Lord Jesus still has to yet return refutes it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the information Tom and that was an interesting 1st Century explanation and can add it to what I already know and believe... Then again I don't ignore Ancient Biblical History like some do... Or to use a better term... His Story... No offense Tom, still waiting for that second resurrection of Matthew 25, oh he did come in Matthew 24, in judgement!... Brother Glen:)

Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

9. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem, brother. Honesty is never an offense. We shall charitably disagree.

10. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops - you did make your case then. While I'm not totally sure about these "locusts" not being permitted to kill, we know that modern attack helicopters are very effective killing machines. I still believe Tom is right about those early "stingers". It simply makes more sense.

11. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's been our disagreement all along.

12. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree that Christ's 2nd Coming is still in our future. How do you figure that this refutes the passage in question? We obviously have different interpretations of the Seals, Trumpet, and Bowl judgments.

13. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look closely at what the passage actually says. Rev. 9:4 says that they were commanded to hurt people--not kill people. Rev. 9:5 says that it was given that they should not kill them; they were only to torment them for 5 months.

Rev. 9:6 even says that people will seek death in that day and not find it and that death will flee from them. No one that those locusts torment during that 5-month period will die, even though they will desperately want to die and seek to die.

It is nonsense to claim that this passage was fulfilled in 70 AD. The language of the passage has to be distorted and selectively treated to claim that it has already been fulfilled.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???

3 And when he is sitting on the mount of the Olives, the disciples came near to him by himself, saying, `Tell us, when shall these be? and what is the sign of thy presence, and of the full end of the age?`
    34 Verily I say to you, this generation may not pass away till all these may come to pass. Mt 24 YLT

26 since it had behoved him many times to suffer from the foundation of the world, but now once, at the full end of the ages, for putting away of sin through his sacrifice, he hath been manifested; Heb 9 YLT

11 And all these things as types did happen to those persons, and they were written for our admonition, to whom the end of the ages did come, 1 Cor 10 YLT

#54 kyredneck, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you an Orthodox Preterist? Or do you deny a yet second appearing of Christ?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question! as while partial view Ok, but full blown is heresy!

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And all the ages are ended but the present one.

And the prophesied eschatological events simply haven't happened yet. No getting by that FACT.

And yes, the generation that sees them begin will see them all.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the generation that shall not pass away!

19. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My views are based on much more than this passage, so I stand by my Preterist views. However, I concede that you ask serious questions. It will be a couple of weeks before I have much time, though.

20. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Partial Preterist, still looking for Christ to return again.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.