1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Romans 6.....is there water baptism in the passage, or Spirit baptism ..primarily?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a denial of the Spirits work in romans 6:6....the old man was crucified...we do not have to keep crucifying him...it was complete.

[/QUOTE]

where in scripture do you see this?

it says this-

the old man was crucified.....

#41 Iconoclast, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    thisnumbersdisconnected

we did not miss his point...we believe he missed Paul's point quite clearly.

The actions described in the passage are the work of the Spirit of God.

If the baptism described is water baptism only ..it would teach baptismal regeneration.

Spirit baptism is in view....what Gill points out is when we participate in believers baptism ...it is an outward confession of what we profess is a spiritual reality in our life...lets look-

#42 Iconoclast, Jul 8, 2014
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    6 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2 God forbid.

How shall we, that are dead to sin, .......live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death:
    that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father,

even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this,

that our old man is crucified with him,

that the body of sin might be destroyed,

that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves
    to be dead indeed unto sin,

but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12 Let not sin therefore reign
    in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14 For sin shall not have dominion over you:
    for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

16 Know
    ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18 Being then made free from sin,

ye became the servants of righteousness.

19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh:

for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity;

even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.20

For when ye were the servants of sin,

ye were free from righteousness.

21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22 But now being made free from sin,

and become servants to God,

ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The bolded portions describe who we are In Christ...We are not two people in one...the old man is crucified...we are made knew by the Spirit.

water baptism does not do any of these things

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John Murray continues;pg 170
    but we cannot think of adoption apart from union with Christ.

It is significant that the election in Christ before the foundation of the world is election unto the adoption of sons.

When Paul says that the Father chose a people in Christ before the foundation of the world that they should be holy he also adds that in love he predestined them unto adoption through Jesus Christ Eph 1:4,5....

APPARENTLY ELECTION TO HOLINESS IS PARALLEL TO PREDESTINATION TO ADOPTION.these are two ways of expressing the same truth.

that they should be holy

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is not true.
    Why did Paul say in 1Cor.15:31, "I die daily?"
    Every day he put his body to death. He crucified himself every day.

Why did Jesus say: "If man shall come after me let him deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow me.
    Again, every day his disciples were to crucify themselves. It was daily.

The key to understanding the Scriptures is to understand that much of it is written in imagery. I am not suggesting we interpret it allegorically, far from it. But we need to recognize the metaphors, similes, and other imagery that is used.
    Why a cross? The cross was the symbol for execution. Christ died on a cross as did two thieves. Every criminal was put to death that way. To take up one's cross was to die to the world, to die to self. OTOH, it was to submit to Christ. If I submit to him I will be dead to the world. Obviously death does not mean a literal death. It is used in a figurative sense. Most of the time "death" means separation. When I live for Christ I am separated from sin and the world. I must conscientiously do this every day.

In reference to Romans 6, as was previously mentioned, the entire chapter ought to be taken into context for a full understanding.
    Verse 1 and 2 are an answer to the antinomianism expressed at the end of chapter five:
    Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
    --We will not continue in sin. Why? We are dead to sin. Dead to sin, how? We must make the conscious decision every day to be dead to sin. It would be wonderful if victory were so automatic, so complete that (being dead), I didn't have to do anything. Since I am automatically dead to sin (as you suggest), I ought to be sinless. But that is not true.
    Verse 11--I reckon myself to be dead to sin. The word reckon infers something I must do. It is not automatic.

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    --Clearly this is the beginning of a picture of water baptism. The word baptism ALWAYS means "immerse." If we are united with Christ we are immersed into his death (a picture). "Into" means "in relation to" and speaks of the ordinance of water baptism.

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

Baptism has two pictures here:
    The death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
    As he died, so we died.
    As he was buried, so we were buried (in water).
    As he arose, so we arose (out of the water) [Hopefully the pastor didn't leave you under :) ]

When he died he took upon himself the burden of our sin, paid the penalty in full.
    When we "died" we died in picture only, turning our back on the world and its sin, and our rebelliousness to God.
    When he was buried, it was proof that he was dead.
    When we were buried (in water) it is evidence that we indeed are dead to our old life in sin.
    When he arose from the dead he conquered sin; he was victorious.
    When we arose (from water), it was to a new life in Christ (symbolically--to what took place at salvation.).

Death means separation.
    The wages of sin is death. The unsaved will be eternally separated from God.
    When we die we separate ourselves from sin. It is a conscious effort to be made every day.

I like what Annsi said in another thread that really makes a practical application in this.
    She said: When one of those Victoria Secret commercials comes on the TV my husband quickly turns to me, kisses me and says, "I love you." He doesn't want the temptation.
    That is being dead to sin. It is the practice of it. It must be practiced every day. It does not come automatically. If it was you would be sinless.
    You do have an old nature. You do struggle with it. We all do. It is not dead; it is very much alive.

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

The elect were immersed into Christ prior to being dunked.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbs::thumbsup:

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, and baptism (described in Romans 6:3-5) is a picture of that.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: Prior to the cross also.

11. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is no such thing as baptism in the spirit for individuals before or after the cross.

1. The baptism in the Spirit promised by the Baptist (Mt. 3:11) and Christ (Acts 1:5) is DATED and did not precede the cross or Pentecost and so if you are referring this kind of baptism you are wrong.

2. The baptism in the Spirit promised by the Baptist (Mt. 3:11) and Christ (Acts 1:5; 2:38) is for those PREVIOUSLY water baptized, and so if you are referring to that kind of baptism you are wrong.

4. Regeneration occurred prior to the cross and Pentecost (Jn. 3) and so if you are referring to the promised baptism in the Spirit which did not occur prior to the cross or Penteocst you are wrong.

5. Romans 6:4-6 has nothing to do with any kind of baptism in the Spirit but with positional justification and personal regeneration which are both expressed in water baptism by pictorial identification with Christ.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
    That is a denial of the Spirits work in romans 6:6....the old man was crucified...we do not have to keep crucifying him...it was complete.

sure it is DHK....
    from Middletown bible church-
    There are some problems with the King James translation in Romans chapter 6, especially when it comes to some of the verb tenses. For example, in Romans 6:6 the King James Version reads, "Our old man is crucified with him" but the past tense is used in the Greek and so it should be translated in this way: "Our old man was crucified with him." This is important because it is talking about something that has already happened, not something that is happening.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK;.
    This topic was not being discussed in 1 cor15...and the word crucify was not used there...you inserted it...once again

Scripture does not call on people to crucify themselves daily.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When a person is "crucified" they DIE!
    Paul testifies in 1Cor.15:31, "I die daily."

Paul said "I die daily."
    Jesus said: "Take up your cross daily," i.e. crucify yourself daily.

You need to read a book.

The Crucified Life: How To Live Out A Deeper Christian Experience
    by A.W. Tozer.
    It can be purchased at Amazon.

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Questions

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized (by the gift of the HS) into Jesus Christ were baptized (by the gift of the HS) into his death? 4. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism (by the gift of the HS) into death:

Can that be understood as > Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. So then death worketh in us, but life in you. 2 Cor 4:10-12 V13 We having the same spirit of faith (The gift of the HS) And why did we receive the Spirit. Same verse 13 (from Psalms 116:10 which I believe to be speaking of the Christ and not David just as in Acts 2:30) according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken.

What did the Christ believe? Ps 116:7-9 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee. For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling. I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.

OR in other words--- Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. Acts 30,31

Therefore Paul could say I die daily 2 Cor 4:14 we also believe, and therefore speak; By the baptism of the Spirit. 2 Cor 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you. Romans 6:5,8 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

The baptism of the Christ?

But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able. And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

One more question for the Greek, geeks for I know, no Greek. Can the aorist tense have the understanding of something past tense for one which is future tense for another?

In other words when we read something in the aorist that we apply to our selves can it be as past tense for Christ applied to us in the future?

#55 percho, Jul 8, 2014
  16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So they were saved before getting saved?

Were reconciled back to God before getting saved by Him?

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

because we have been crucified in Him, we are right with Him by being in him, that is why we can have freedom over the flesh, as it is no longer our 'natural state", but still must make a decision to keep him from rearing his head up again!

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    so the Bible says that the old man was crucified that is put to death what are you saying that he didn't really die he is like a zombie

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The old man is very much alive.
    Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

"But with the flesh I serve the law of sin." That is the old man.
    Paul didn't claim 100% victory over that old man. It was a day by day battle. That battle is described in detail from verse 14 to 25.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK
    you said;
    Really....that is interesting DHK...and yet when paul says the old man ;

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

somehow...he did not die!!!:confused::confused:

when you tried to explain away this teaching you waxed allegorical and symbolic......Like the heretic Origen is said to have done!

Remember that post where you said I was allegorical Like the heretic Origen?
    Now you contradict yourself trying to cover one false idea with another....very interesting DHK.:thumbsup:

#60 Iconoclast, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.