1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SBC President's pronouncement on 'Black Lives Matter' slogan

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm weary of your name calling. The Bible has standards for Christian speech.

James 1:26 New English Translation (English Standard Version (ESV)

26 If someoneanyone thinks he is religious yetand does not bridle his tongue, and so but deceives his heart, histhis person's religion is futile. worthless.

Titus 3:9English Standard Version (ESV)

9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

1 Peter 3:15 English Standard Version
    15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to
    make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Ephesians 4:29English Standard Version (ESV)

29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

2 Timothy 2:14English Standard Version (ESV)

14 Remind them of these things, and charge them before God[a] not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers.

Please stop. It adds nothing to the conversation and stirs up anger.

I have reported your post. It violates the TOS.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, I cannot believe you wrote that. Your response is hostile and seeks no dialogue. I'll call out sin as sin, Brother. You spoke with wounding vitriol. Your trying to get an angry response. I'm just going to pray for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Katarina Von Bora

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this is the way you treat the Bible, it's no wonder you speak with hostility. Unbelievers are watching so you might want to reconsider your words.

Yes, I have reported this post and I will continue to do so as long as you keep verbally assaulting others.

#83 Katarina Von Bora, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

5. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry. Maybe I'm too thin skinned for politics. I felt like I was being talked down to. At least I prayed for my opponent when angry, I was going to post this.

Google Image Result for https://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/02/shutterstock_375815809.jpg

I'll just try to engage in discussion. I'll reply to HeirofSalvation in a little.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a friend who lost people in Oklahoma City to white supremacists in the bombing. I know the race war army types are real.

I was argued with by someone on this board for saying all of Adam and Eve's children are of equal dignity no matter skin color. Until the content of our character is how we are judged by unbelievers, racism is a problem. I agree though, that believers, the Brethren, tend not to be racists. Particular posted a good story of growing out of peer pressure to be racist.

Other nations are far more racist. We still have laws in Western countries that declare citizenship primarily over being born to parents of a national (Lux in Sanguinus) instead of being born on your soil (Lux in Terra). It's usually to keep a nation more pure blooded. That just speaks to how damned their cultures are. I want the Brethren and my own nation to be as free of racism as the constitution allows.

This is a really good discussion we had on addressing racism on the Baptist Board.

What is the Christian theological response to racism?

I have nothing to say to a vitriolic statement about all independents, except that Republican does not equal Christian, even though I usually vote for Republicans.

7. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't want to talk down to you.
    I want you to deny the premise of the discussion.....
    The premise is that the good people of the United States have a racism problem that they must fix.
    (wile
    That is a false premise.

They don't.
    As a rule, this is the most non-racist and accepting nation in history.
    The problem in our nation isn't racism....it's that we have too many moral cowards who are afraid to stand up for this country when it is the most accepting nation on earth.

Don't assume there is a racism problem....there isn't....and if there is...
    Frankly, it isn't on the part of white people.

It is the religion of the "white people" which preaches that all humans are a special creation of God, made in his image. That's what we teach. It is an idea which (while it took some time to perfectly execute it, granted) is foundational to the founding of this nation and it's worldview and system of law.

There is simply NO racism issue in this nation...
    Not by any objective comparison to anywhere else in the world or any time in history.
    Deny that premise, it is a lie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, I point you to post #86. I have a friend who lost people in the Oklahoma City Bombing, so saying there is no racism problem sent me to a rage immediately. I look forward to a good discussion. Thank you Brother.

9. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Firstly, individual stories, are not a good method of assessing a general issue...
    Secondly, I doubt the truth or veracity of Particular's narratives.
    Honestly, I doubt his truth-telling.
    It would be irrelevant either way.

10. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  11. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you disagree with scripture and Paul calling out the racism in Peter?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True in that it is just a story. It hits me hard though, because I went through something similar. Yeah, more than just individual stories are needed.

Still I know many people who live as outcasts. Most of them are white. They are mentally ill, though. Revmitchell posted this story of how much of a problem falling through the cracks is.

Racist Police Violence Reconsidered - Quillette

Now IMO Ahmaud Arbery sounds like racism, but George Floyd sound like messed up tactics, techniques, and procedures for police. Not racism.

Now I live in Orlando and we have a long and terrible history of racism, though thankfully it's harder to see now.

Black public schools in my city at least, are terrible compared to their white and multiracial counterparts. My city even has majority-Latino public schools that were terrible until school choice forced a change. Thank the Lord.

There are many white, black, and Latino neighborhoods in my city that are poor. Poverty is an equal opportunity problem. But to be perfectly honest some of the black neighborhoods are the poorest I have ever seen, absent a developing nation in terms of poverty. At least in Orlando.

Opportunity to succeed is not equal in Orlando between races. This means there is a big problem for minorities in terms of emotional pain and in terms of attaining the American dream.

However, employers and government services are not allowed to be racially motivated, and both jobs and government services are open to all, regardless of race or income. That at least is good.

It doesn't justify the anti-social conservative stuff coming out of the BLM movement. Neither does it demand the use of troubling concepts that are used by the "social gospel" crowd on the Left to pack in things beyond addressing racism in all its forms.

But getting schools and opportunities more equal, combating poverty among all hardworking people, and being an American Evangelical church that disciplines its own over acts and words that are racist are important to strive for.

I read this not long ago, and it struck me how poorly the church involved acted. Of course, a new believer must be taught to let go of sin to follow Jesus Christ

Would you support the baptism of a KKK leader if they had no intention of leaving racism behind?

I hope that helps explain things as I see it. I look forward to a well thought reply.

13. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the BB administration supports racism on its site, they will listen to your report. If they condemn racism, they will recognize I am calling Christians to repent of the racism they hold in their hearts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't exclude them. Provide the documentation so we can condemn the wickedness.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The problem is this is like asking for a thoughtful and less emotional discussion on abortion. I think the BB may need to give the posters a day of rest. We are spiraling out of control in emotion in a number of threads. On other forums it leads to an exodus.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. But your not Paul and I for sure, and likely none of the other members, are guilty of what Peter did. You assume a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Katarina Von Bora

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is simply your opinion. Do you really not know about affirmative action in jobs and schools?

Affirmative action - Wikipedia

Unless you can prove your accusations (with real evidence), the thought in my mind is a Bible verse about a
    clanging cymbal.

1 Corinthians 13 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Name calling profits no one. You might want to reconsider your approach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be the most inane thing I've seen posted here, and I've seen a lot of silliness.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an awful lot of inconvenient truth in your post.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a short cut (I verified the accounts but they are documented here as well). There is one very close to Mr. Floyd.

The issue exceeds one single race.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.