1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SBC President's pronouncement on 'Black Lives Matter' slogan

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duh. Of course it does. THAT IS NOT THE POINT. Black people for decades have disproportionately borne the brunt of law enforcement.

But the fact is that ALL minorities have been targeted at some point in time. Why do you think cops called vans "Paddy wagons"? Why did poor white trash find themselves in prison when their betters went scot free? Los Angeles is notorious for its treatement of Hispanics. Marijuana was finally outlawed by federal code (and its ridiculous Class I designation approved) because it was a nasty "Mexican" drug, unlike cocaine. New York police regularly shook down and brutalized gays. Ask Native Americans about their relations with police.

Yes, the issue is not of one single race. But blacks have been stuck at the epicenter for hundreds of years and have a special case to plead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why is it that not all black people believe this?

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you are ignoring the fact that blacks have also disproportionately committed the brunt of violent crimes.

There is no evidence systemic racism is a current issue in the US. Individual racism is another isdue. But more than that are the present consequences (or overcoming the consequences) if past systemic racism.

But that is not what we are talking about here, is it?

We are talking about Black Lives Matter as a movement (what the SBC was addressing). Deciding Mr. Floyd's murder was a racial issue was an assumption that constituted racism.

If the example is Mr. Floyd then the issue is police brutality, not race. If it is the number of police shootings, well most were white. Race is not the determining factor.

But there is a culture within the black community (a product of past systemic racism) that places a disproportionate percentage of black men in confrontations with police officers. This has contributed to individual racism (but not irrational racism as a police officer is almost 20% more likely to due at the hands of a black suspect than a white suspect).

Black Lives Matter is a racist movement trying to combat injustice by adopting racist ideologies (racial assumptions are made and acted upon).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No assumption. I have read what you wrote. Sorry you have a blind spot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am very aware of affirmative action. This legal action does nothing to destroy racism, but it does bother racists.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it does. Power corrupts what is already corrupted by nature.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ultimately the problem with BLM (the movement, not the fact) is it tries to solve injustice in a worldly way. The solution is to implement injustice to solve injustice.

Watching the news I see over again that the Democrat VP candidate needs to be a black woman. Companies need to have a stronger black presence in leadership.

There are issues but the solutions are wrong. Choosing a black person for VP means not choosing someone else because they are not black (it is racism). Selecting a leader because they are black means not selecting a leader because he or she is white (again, this is racism).

Racism is a sin problem. It is hatred. It is evil. You are absolutely right that Christians cannot just ignore the problem. But we have to be very careful not to join in a worldly solution that fails to address the root problem (sin). I believe we have to start in our churches - not joining our voices with BLM but being a much brighter light.

I live in an area that is 60% black. I guess I do not see some of the things others may see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main solution to the racism problem is to vote Republican. It is the Democrats who have committed the racism. They think that they don't have to do anything for the black vote. In the case of this cop, he was one of the rare sadistic psychopaths in the profession. That fact eluded Greear and so once again he disgraced himself with his silly analogy. He is an adult male with a childish mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soooo, where is your evidence?

Blacks have risen to every area of law enforcement, the military, the Supreme Court and even the presidency. You are simply wrong.

Check the facts on black on black crime. There are many of them, but they all say roughly the same thing. Black on black crime is ubiquitous.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/09/chicagos-crime-proves-black-lives-dont-matter-to-democrats/

I met my husband who was visiting Los Angeles at his brothers house in the Crenshaw district. The neighborhood was filled with nice houses with bars on their windows and doors. I asked him about the bars on the windows and who were they locking out.

The rules of the forums and the Bible forbid me from repeating his answer. I'm sure you can figure it out.

We married and my job in the Navy sent us to Great Lakes (Mistakes), Ill. My husband's sister lived in the infamous Cabrini Green public housing apartments. She lived on the 16th floor. We attempted to use the elevator but it was broken again/still. We saw the kids and asked them why these elevators didn't work. They said that they wanted "to make that white man come out to fix it". I was incredulous. They seemed to not understand that their grandmother had to walk up 16 stories I seems no one had taught them that their actions had consequences for everyone who lived there. Yet they knew enough to blame white people.

This is systematic sin.

My husband took a few of these kids under his wing and helped them a great deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you report these posts, the moderators do respond. I have reported two posts and the mods took action, I never argue with a mod. I have been a mod and it is sometimes a fine line to walk.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, I reported a few posts in the last three weeks, but nothing seems to happen as far as I see. I have seen what happens to theological debates on other forums that start with an assumption one isn't a Christian because of XYZ stance. It isn't worth the time to read, let alone engage.

We have the Baptist only boards because of deep doctrinal differences we almost all see. Differences that put us at odds fundamentally and not Brethren, such as Roman Catholic teachings that are forthrightly against a contextual reading of the bible.

The acrimony on this board by some posters is worrying to me. It feels the respect people had for each other as Brethren is wearing thin. Emotions are at fever pitch. I'll PM a Mod.

#111 Steven Yeadon, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far no one has proved that race was a factor with the 4 Minneapolis cops. I myself just think that it is a bad cop because normal people don't suffocate others over counterfeit money. Chicago is a very dangerous place and a lot of Chicagoans have moved to Indianapolis but it is not much better. Too much squalor and Democrats tolerate squalor better than me.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's God's "little ones'" lives that matter. It's better that one who offends a child of God had never been born. Christ didn't say that about anyone else.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect?

15. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul charged Peter with racism. Peter repented. He had even dragged Barnabas into racist actions.
    When a brother is in sin, you correct your brother.
    Aaron, please don't hide behind a prooftext as a means of avoiding the uncomfortable areas where sin is harbored in the heart.
    Why would God speak through John to tell the elect that "If we confess our sin, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sin"? God tells his elect that they are to confess sin. God brings brothers alongside us to point out where sin is harboring so that we might lay hold of the sin that so easily entangles us and clean it off so that we might run the race unhindered.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I wanted a scapegoat, I would want a good one. A white criminal murders a black victim and you say it is racism but it is just criminality. You have beat your own horse to death and Americans are tired of sermons from you leftists.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two firsts for me today. I used the Report option and I used the Ignore option.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    You truly have no clue what racism is, do you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you offended by the racists on this site or by me calling them out as racists?
    I still await the BB administration to condemn racism and ban racists on this board.
    It is interesting how white Christians get offended when their sin is exposed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked you what your definition of racism is - (unless I missed it) you have not answered my question.

So enlighten us - what is true racism.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.