1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shooting at Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, TX

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Nov 5, 2017.

1. LowOiL

LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, you got a chuckle out of me pointing out the irony of their post. I like this forum. Good mix of ideas and sometimes even I post a sane one.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No!

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply put, you need to look up the use of UAF in voter rolls. For instance, this information regarding Colorado.

Anyone who is not trying to accuse other people. I know it would really be exciting to connect the murderer and your political enemies, but you don't get to lie about it.

No it is not. This is not a place for rumor mongering, falsehoods and accusations.

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, but The United States is at a post Civil War moral low point in its history.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Report: Texas Church Shooter Was Atheist, Thought Christians ‘Stupid’

The man who shot and killed 26 people in a Texas church on Sunday is reported to be a creepy, crazy, and weird outcast who preached atheism online.

Former classmates of the Texas church shooter, Devin Patrick Kelley, said he was an atheist and outcast who thought Christians were stupid, the Daily Mail reported.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would absolutely love for the MSM to interview him now, & see if there's any change in his perspective.:rolleyes:

7. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One news report says that the shooter had sent texts threatening his mother-in-law, and she attended this church in Texas. She was not present at this church Sunday when her son-in-law showed up.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can never concur with a lie. Nobody I know of believes that anything regarding the second coming will be done in secret.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. A couple in the retirement community in which my wife and I live have a niece and her three children who attend that church. The niece and two of the children were killed and a third is in critical condition.

The shooter was killed by a neighbor who heard the shots and grabbed his deer rifle and shot the killer who then drove away but bled out and crashed his truck. The police found him dead at the wheel.

The shooter, Kelly, was dishonorably discharged from the Air Force after a felony conviction, both of which made it illegal for him to be possession of a firearm.

Now my opinion. If just a couple of the people in that church had been carrying firearms, after a couple shots the shooter might well have been dead and many of the victims might well still be alive.

Of course, 32 people were shot in Chicago this weekend but the media never seems to mention that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The media has a gun control narrative to put out. Nothing will be allowed to interfere with that.

11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I regret posting that link. Not appropriate at this time or even for this board. Please accept my apology.

• Like Like x 2
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How awful Tom.

I heard on the news that guns were not allowed inside the church and had to be left at the front reception area.

Do you know if that is true?

We have a retired police lieutenant at our church and a few veterans.
    Don't know how the church would feel about allowing members who know firearms to carry now.

Awful, - little children were killed. How could anyone be that heartless? Unbelievable.

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you ever look evil in the eyes, you would know. I can't really explain it. I spent some time with a serial killer. All I can say is I was in the presence of evil.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was just reading of a gentleman who lost his pregnant wife, three children and his parents. I can't imagine. The youngest murder victim was just 18 months old.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems the Air Force failed to forward a copy of Kelly's trial transcript, the Court Martial's decision to give him a BCD, and the felony conviction data to the FBI so the information was not available for the NICs check. He may have been able to purchase firearms even though he was a prohibited person. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom--if it was only a bad conduct discharge, it's not at the same level as a dishonorable. A bad conduct discharge can be determined at a special courts martial, rather than a general; as such, a bad conduct discharge is not generally considered a felony like a dishonorable is.

CNN and others are mis-reporting the discharge because they don't understand the difference.

Where the Air Force screwed up is whether they were required to enter Kelley's info in the national database for domestic abuse. If required to do so (and it's obvious they didn't), it would have prevented Kelley from being able to legally purchase firearms.

I'm looking and waiting for more details. I fear in their rush to report, CNN and others are going to try to link this to the military's mis-handling and under-reporting of domestic and sexual assaults, and whatever else they can do to make the military in general--not just the Air Force--look bad.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The duplicity of the progressive left is evident: They run off with hair on fire about gun control when certain "mass murders" like our current tragedy occur but promote and permit SANCTUARY CITIES where lawlessness has lead to firearm bloodshed of the innocent.

HankD

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like we already had laws that would have prevented this person from purchasing a firearm, but they were not followed.

FBI was not alerted to ex-service member’s assault conviction
    Devin P. Kelley should have been barred from purchasing guns because of a 2014 domestic violence conviction. But the Air Force said it failed to follow policies for alerting federal law enforcement about Kelley’s violent past, allowing him to buy weapons before the deadly rampage in Sutherland Springs, Tex.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and we should all be in agreement with effective regulation of firearms in alignment with our second amendment rights as well as better and more effective data warehouse information whose purpose is to keep firearms out of the hands of those given over to unrestrained evil, felons and the mentally ill.

HankD

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    I won't be surprised if all relevant policies and procedures were followed, but they didn't include ensuring notification; which will prompt a swift re-write to ensure such things are included.

I also won't be surprised if someone missed that step in the checklist....

So, I'm waiting for more info.