Shooting at Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, TX

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Nov 5, 2017.

1. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a link in the article to the armed forces policy:

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/blaw/dodd/corres/pdf/i550511_120198/i550511p.pdf

Looks to me like they bungled section 6, Procedures

2. LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you are right about the "UAF" being Unaffiliated in Colorado.

The rest of your post is just hearsay. When you claim what I did was wrong (rumor mongering), you left off disclaimers against such.... "Just bouncing ideas off in the forum.... time will tell. Also can not tell if pictures of things were photoshopped or not." It is not rumor mongering. It is discussing an issue. Just in case that was not clear enough, I also said this.... "but too early to know for sure. "

I think most rational people understand it is just early discussion of an event and being I put in a couple of "take with a grain of salt" clauses because I wasn't sure, it was subject to change as the facts roll in.

But you are right, I don't care for democrat positions (to many to list, abortion, guns, big government etc...).

I also claim the right to discuss issues, this is a forum and far as I know you don't get to dictate I can't throw out ideas. As stated "The Forum's purpose is to bring out breaking news and comments thereon."...

Not only did I honestly try to comment about what I was finding, I also put in a disclaimer that it was too early to know all the facts and if everything I said was true or not.

3. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but the problem is that the mentally ill freely walk the streets. We used to institutionalize them. Today, they have freedom to kill us.

4. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate the admission.

For the record, I am not a Democrat. I am pro-life (not just anti-abortion), I affirm the importance of gun ownership and proper training and use, and I want a government that is just large enough to take care of what is needed.

I am not a moderator (nor do I want that thankless job), so I don't get to dictate anything. I can, however, as a member of the board, take you to task for throwing out conspiracy theories that are not connected to reality in any way. We all need to have some common sense and the discipline not to spread unfounded rumors. Christ has not called us to be "tale-bearers."

If you don't have good reason to believe something is true -- and it speaks poorly about another person or group -- think carefully about whether or not it needs to be repeated. You made a number of false accusations yesterday that were hurtful to others. Remember that there are people behind these posts. And you give credibility to violent folks in Antifa when you make false claims about them and they are proven to be innocent.

5. LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, this fellow should of been put in the system (database) but for some reason a year or so ago he wasn't. Remind anyone of the Dylann Roof kid who also somehow got past the background check (Dylann had a drug conviction).

Background Check Flaw Let Dylann Roof Buy Gun, F.B.I. Says

Is it just me, or did record keeping go to pot under Obama's administration. It is like records are not important especially with illegal immigration requiring good records be kept.

6. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are all kinds of ways the convictions don't get reported. Many times, they are purged. I arrested a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. When I ran his criminal history, the arrest was there, but no conviction. I arrested him anyway because I knew he was a convicted felon because I convicted him. He was not in the system and the clerk of court had no record of the conviction. The paperwork suddenly got found when the orig. trial judge (still on bench) started threatening to throw people in jail.

7. LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I was just throwing out possibilities and included disclaimers. This was an unfolding event and if we are not allowed to discuss possibility then why even have a news section. Just keep a news list to research and google news items 6 months later. Or throw it out there and put in rightful disclaimers and try to find info by bouncing it off a few friends.

If that hurt someone's feelings, well I am sorry, but I am a man not a woman. I can't just turn that off and perhaps if they were offended then a news section is not the best place to be.

8. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The question is, how did they bungle it? Further, is the IG investigation that's been broadened to include all of DoD an indication that it's not just Air Force, but all military entities that have been incorrectly following the procedures?

Thus, why I'm waiting for more info. I'm not really trying to defend the Air Force; I'm just thinking, that's an awful important step in a courts-martial proceeding to miss, and wondering why/how.

9. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ted Cruz this morning said the Obama administration did not want the DID to report its convictions to NCIC.

10. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There seems to be the floodgates opening up now, as every other week some crazy is killing and maiming others.
    The only cure for this wickedness and evil is to have the Lord save us, and to do a revival in this nation...
    Also shows how important to be ready to make our God, as our death day can be far closer than we think!

11. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's not engage in revisionism here. You made an assertion that UAF in voter registration probably meant Antifa. I pointed out that the obvious meaning of UAF, which is "Unaffiliated" and pointed out that you shouldn't try to tie the shooter to Antifa without evidence.

You responded with one of the most defamatory slurs against me that I've ever seen in this forum - a slur that has been removed from a moderator and was even condemned by someone who rarely agrees with me about anything.

To now claim that you were simply "bouncing" things off of friends as part of a broad discussion is simply a false narrative.

I am a man who has a thick skin, but your slur was so far over the top and contemptible that it was startling and surprisingly hurtful since I have connections to that congregation through a college friend who has lost many church family members. You are not the injured party here and I'm frankly stunned that you were not suspended. Now I wish the moderators had let your comments stand so other people could see what kind of person you are.

I trust the moderators to do what is best, so I am even submitting this response to you to their discretion.

I am also not going to dignify any more of your assertions with a response.

12. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why you are surprised.

The Lord Jesus said.
    • John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
    Also
    • John 12:25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

13. LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First off, [Rule violation edited] (and I don't know of the other reply you mention) I am not sure exactly how to proceed. I am not sure, but [Rule violation edited]. I thought I linked my comment to the YouTube person/video that was discussing the exact same things I was talking about. I remember I could not in good faith post a picture of Devin Patrick links on FB to BB because it had a bad word in it. So yeah, I was throwing out stuff that was was NOT as obvious as you claim since they also thought "UAF" was United Against Fascism in the video. Was the YouTube video linked or not, I thought I linked it, [Rule violation edited] because they also showed a flash of the shooters "like" page. Anyway I guess people following this can PM me and I will give them the URL of the video I thought I posted with my comment. Who knows, I was tired, perhaps I didn't link the video to my post... again hard to say one way or the other [Rule violation edited].

When I logged back to BB, I remember a flash or something [Rule violation edited] for a split second, but it did not last long enough for me to digest it. Perhaps because out of habit I was already clicking a link on page and thus cleared it by mistake before I got to digest what it said. [Rule violation edited]

Now Revisionist history you claim.... good grief... I claimed the guy was a militant atheist and that I could NOT confirm he was "antifa" as others were claiming. Here is my exact quote (or what is left of it)... QUOTE "the antifa link some claimed I can not confirm".... stop putting concrete words in my mouth, it is obvious I was fishing for more definite information t... proof one way or the other.

You said....
    I take this to mean blame Devin Patrick... which I did... He was a mass murdering godless wife beating scum, and deserved scrutiny. The MSM was using some website that said he loved kids and taught Bible to portray him otherwise. And (I thought) that you were defending him because he somehow deserved to be protected. IMO... I didn't think someone that did this deserved any such protections (or liked). I still don't, and if that gets me tossed from this web site, so be it. It made me think that you want to make the killer a "victim" above being vetted because it was mean.

The media was making much ado that Devin listed that he taught a month as a teacher aide for a Vacation Bible School. I have not searched to see if this was true or just someone padding their resume to look good. I was pointing out (at least in my mind) that his FB like page sure didn't back up that he was Christian in any manner and that personally when someone who hurts as many folks as he did (including yourself as you point out), did not deserve being tore apart.

Perhaps you meant something else... hard to know. But if fishing for answers against a cold blooded killer is off limits, perhaps you are right, this isn't the forum for me.

14. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Texas Shooter Was Called A Liberal, Antifa Communist Working With ISIS — Before Anyone Knew Anything

WASHINGTON ― Authorities are still trying to figure out why a man shot at least 26 people to death in a Texas church on Sunday. But the lack of a specific motive has not stopped right-wing conspiracy theorists from blaming their opponents — including Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), atheists, social justice warriors, communists, the Islamic State, liberals and anti-fascist protesters — for the slaughter.

The speed at which these theories spread shows how propagandists take advantage of the information vacuum after a shooting to serve their own ends.

The shooting was not racially motivated or caused by religious beliefs, authorities said Monday, though they noted there was a “domestic situation.” (The suspect, Devin Patrick Kelley, was previously convicted for domestic assault.) But in the hours after the shooting, the public didn’t know that. Instead, conspiracy theorists took what shreds of information were available to peddle plausible-sounding theories — or simply make up lies.

Click here for the full story with the timeline of the creation of the conspiracy