1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should a president be a professing, Bible thumping believer?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    errata: Post #13 is corrected to read:"...leaving out Jesus, the Christ, the Son of The Living God."
    Addendum: T. Jefferson chopped up the Gospels and stripped Jesus of His Divinity. The Doctrine of the Divinity of Jesus is pivotal to true Christianity.

Amen to post #19--Romans 1 hits us with both barrels.

Preach it, Brother; God still has some lost sheep out there. He is going to bring them in whether we follow or not.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#21 Bro. James, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
  2. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the person has no relationship with God I do not vote for them.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely that is not the qualifier on which your vote is based upon?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So who did you vote for back in 2012?

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, but that does not mean that there are not a lot of good people in this country still.

So who is it that you consider better than your view of so many people in this country? You? Your family? Your congregation? Your friends?

God also is in the habit of saving people, and He uses those who are His, which while we know there is always a many/few ratio. And that has always been the case. Not just since America was founded and people began thinking this was a Christian Country.

There will be no Christian Country until the Millennial Kingdom.

But as far as America goes, as I said...there are still a lot of good people in this country. So you can preach a "The rooster has come home to roost" message, but I suggest you get around a little more to find out how true that is.

Relevance?

All of us have ancestors that went through tribulation. That is just the nature of this world.

And is this an excuse to trod the people of this country under your feet? Do you know all of the people in this country? Do you even know all of the people in your own town or city? In your congregation?

How many in your congregation await the judgment of God, rather than belong to Him? Can you tell me that?

Most of us do. I have several in my family that are still serving.

Relevance?

It's not pretense...it's truth, and that was seen on 9/11, which was my point.

It's a shame that the solidarity that arose, as well as the re-awakened fear of God...didn't last very long.

And for the record men and women put their lives on the line...every day. Now let's compare that with some other countries where corruption is widespread.

What makes you think God has placed judgment on this land?

The fact is that there has always been the many and the few, and the many are blessed through the few, my friend, and their chances of conversion, which should be a continuous pattern, are raised by the few.

This passage speaks of mankind in general...not America specifically.

And what I would suggest to anyone that thinks America was a Christian Nation and then fell is that is a myth. But, the advantage this nation has had is that at the least it has had some men who feared the God of the Bible.

Perhaps if the Church spent more time evangelizing than condemning...we might see a revival of that fear. Perhaps if the Church spent less time establishing secluded kingdoms which exclusionary memberships we would see more come to Christ.

I wouldn't disagree with that, however, it is a picture of the entire world. Always has been, and always will be until the Millennial Kingdom.

Doesn't mean that all of America should be condemned.

Though I am sure the radical Islamists would heartily agree with you.

In case you were not aware, America has not been around since the creation of the world.

In case you are not aware this has a Tribulation context.

On the anniversary of 9/11 there is nothing wrong in remembering, and noting, the courage and self-sacrifice that we saw on that day. Men and women who gave up their lives to save others:

John 15:13

King James Version (KJV)

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

That is the true Spirit of America, my friend, and it is my belief that the Spirit of God creates the noble heart of men and women like that.

He is the hope of all believers, but I see little relevance to my statement that there are still a lot of good people in this country.

God bless.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In light of the results of the last two elections, I would have to say...definitely not!

;)

God bless.

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all need to review: Depravity 101. "There are none righteous not one". Sorry, freemasons and others who think they are making good men better--there are no good men from the Fall to Jesus who was crucified for our transgressions--The Just for the unjust. Without the imputed righteousness of Jesus, man has no righteousness--his flesh is as depraved as it ever was. We live in a world of Pharisees deceived by their self righteousness. This is coupled with a terminal case of Narcissism.

We need to study: Grace 101 too. If we got what we earned, we would all go to Hell. Jesus paid it all.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#27 Bro. James, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2015
  8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree with this in large part and would go so far to add that even if it were possible for the natural man to somehow grow up and never once sin, that would not change the fact that he was still born separated from God. No-one is physically born into the family of God, and that fact alone drives home the utter necessity of the grace of God in the lives of men.

God bless.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:laugh: Love it.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Deal breaker. If you don't follow Jesus, you can't have my vote.

There comes a time when Christians have to decide that if they really want to do something about the moral state of affairs in this country and in this world, that we have to start looking to Christ as the answer.

And placing someone in a position of leadership over this country who does not first and foremost bow at the foot of the Cross, will ALWAYS be a detriment no matter what their policy positions.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Ditto.:thumbs:

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It should be a deal breaker. It boggles the mind as to why Christians don't get this.

We complain about abortion and all these other issues , yet we live and vote as though we don't believe that Jesus Christ is the answer.

Are we here FIRST to complete God's Great Commission or are we here to see how much of our stuff we can save and pass on to the next generation?

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The impression I get from these terms is someone who makes a big show of their faith, but rarely opens the Bible he or she thumps, and is someone who gives lip service to the word of God.

That may be a bias of my background - with plenty of Bible-thumping and "Amen" shouting hypocrites - but those characterizations seem incredibly negative.

14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I would agree we must remember the Office is a secular position, I see no reason why we would not vote for a man that is a "Bible-Thumper." Or, in other words, we wouldn't not vote because he was. I think we should use caution and remember the nature of politics and the star-struck fevers of some, knowing that ultimately the Antichrist will ride in on the wings of politics.

So I am not sure what is meant by "deal-breaker" in regards to a Bible-thumping candidate. Perhaps you or the other member might expand on what you mean?

We do, and for good reason. It causes death and misery for many of those involved.

We do?

Could you tell me who it is you speak of?

I vote for candidates that say they are pro-life. I take every opportunity to witness for Christ.

Not everyone is. And while I think every Christian has a responsibility to study and better their understanding of God, the Bible, and God's will, let's keep in mind the Body is made up of many members, and not all are going to be adept in the Word, nor adept in witnessing. Those who are not could learn more, but, not everyone is going to be a Paul or a Stephen, lol.

It's kind of hard to completely separate one's self from this world...seeing we are stuck here. And there is a Biblical principle set forth concerning laying up for one's children. So I understand a view against "laying up treasures on the earth," but perplexed by why you would have an issue against laying up for one's children.

Maybe you could expand on that as well?

God bless.

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heard recently that the number one reason given by college kids for leaving the Church is hypocrisy.

It is my view that due to the weakness of men, even after salvation, all of us are going to come across as hypocrites from time to time. And when it comes to a relationship (parent/child) where there is an authority figure, a perspective of hypocrisy is probably going to be an easy excuse for those who rebel against that authority. In other words, a parent would have to almost be flawless in order to escape being held in the eyes of their children as hypocrites, because the standard of Christ is taught and is so high that the efforts of the parents are going to pale in comparison, hence...they are almost playing role of hypocrite even when doing their best due to that standard set by Christ.

God bless.

16. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ah yes. Hypocrisy.... The same brainless millenials that rail against corporatism are the same ones who buy Apple products and drink at Starbucks! Oh sure, they like to call everyone else hypocrites, but usually shy away when their own hypocrisy is exposed.

I love it when I hear liberals rail against evil corporations, then have to admit that their 401k plans and iPhones and life saving medicines DEPEND on those very same evil corporations! lol. Hypocrisy indeed.

17. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be great if a candidate is a Christian, but it's not near the top of my list of requirements.

On the other hand, there's no way I'd vote for an atheist.