Start Praying in Tongues

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by plain_n_simple, May 13, 2013.

1. Steadfast Fred Active Member

awaken does not want answers, he wants agreement with his belief.

2. awaken Active Member

You said he guides us into prayer! That is not what Romans 8 says!

3. awaken Active Member

No, agreement with the Word of God! I see you did not respond to my post! Just ridicule! That is how it is on this board! If you can not address or answer the post you fall into ridicule!

4. Thomas Helwys New Member

I did not say that. You are either confusing me with someone else, or being dishonest. Which is it?

5. Matt22:37-39 New Member

HERE IS A VERSE NONE OF YOU WHO BELIEVE TONGUES ARE FOR TODAY CAN GET PAST.....this verse alone proves you all are wrong!

1 Cor 14:22...So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: 7 so that you come behind in no gift; waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ; 8 who will also confirm you until the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Nothing there on tongues continuing on!

7. awaken Active Member

Must have confused you with someone else! I guess I do not recall your answer!

8. awaken Active Member

So you are saying we do not have any unbelievers today? I do not get your point?
    I also see you did not respond to the verse I posted!

9. awaken Active Member

No gift includes tongues! When did it say that they should end! in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ!

10. awaken Active Member

\
    I went back on the thread and the only answer I found that you made was that it was without utterance! So again, are you saying that the Spirit prays for us when we do not know how to pray? (I am not referring to tongues..if that will ease your mind)
    How does he pray when there is no utterance?

11. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Actually, that passage does not say the gifts would continue until the day of Jesus Christ.

It simply told the first century Church that they should not come behind in any gift and that they should wait on the revelation of Jesus Christ. It does not say to continue in the gifts until Jesus Christ.

12. awaken Active Member

No, you added revelation to fit your theology! It says "So that you come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."
    It goes on to confirm it is when he returns by saying "Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ." So are we in the Day of our Lord Jesus Christ? Has Jesus come back yet?

13. Steadfast Fred Active Member

No, I did not add anything. The word "coming" is the word "apokalupsis" and it means "revelation".

Funny you accuse me of adding to fit my theology, when you are guilty of doing what you accused me of. You say that verse says tongues will continue until Christ comes. The fact is, that passage does not teach that at all. You add to fit your theology.

14. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These threads prove only one thing: those that hold to tongues will not be convinced against tongues; and those that hold against tongues will not be convinced for tongues.

15. awaken Active Member

The KJV translates it as coming! Also the next verse confirms that it is the in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ!
    What does NO gift say to you? Does it say only a few! God gave the Holy Spirit to the church and He will be here until Christ returns! It does not say He took back any of the gifts! His gifts are given hrepentance!

16. awaken Active Member

This we can agree!!!

17. Steadfast Fred Active Member

the word "coming" means "revelation". Do you not believe He will reveal Himself to us?

Wow!

Again, that verse does not say gifts will continue until His coming. You are adding to fit your theology.

18. awaken Active Member

When will he reveal himself to us? At his coming! We are to come behind in NO gift until he returns!

19. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the purpose of speaking in tongues has ceased in the Church, why would we still need to have them for today?

20. Matt22:37-39 New Member

HERE IS A VERSE NONE OF YOU WHO BELIEVE TONGUES ARE FOR TODAY CAN GET PAST.....this verse alone proves you all are wrong!

1 Cor 14:22...So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.