1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Function of the Law in the New Covenant..pt2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John stated to us to keep His commandments, so what would those be?

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The law shows to me how to live,and the Spirit Himself allows us to live it...

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JOn..perhaps you have romans 7 wrong:
    The Christian in Romans 7 / Arthur W. Pink (1886-1952) |
    The one who bows to the solemn and searching teaching of God’s Word, the one who there learns the awful wreckage which sin has wrought in the human constitution, the one who sees the exalted standard of holiness which God has set before us, cannot fail to discover what a vile wretch he is. If he is given to behold how far short he falls of attaining to God’s standard; if, in the light of the divine sanctuary, he discovers how little he resembles the Christ of God; then will he find this language most suited to express his godly sorrow. If God reveals to him the coldness of his love, the pride of his heart, the wanderings of his mind, the evil that defiles his godliest acts, he will cry, “0 wretched man that I am.” If he is conscious of his ingratitude, of how little he appreciates God’s daily mercies; if he marks the absence of that deep and genuine fervor which ought ever to characterize his praise and worship of that One who is “glorious in holiness;” if he recognizes that sinful spirit of rebellion, which so often causes him to murmur or at least chafe against the dispensations of God in his daily life; if he attempts to tabulate not only the sins of commission but the sins of omission, of which he is daily guilty, he will indeed cry, “O wretched man that I am.”

“But,” inquires someone, “does not communion with Christ produce rejoicing rather than mourning?” We answer, It produces both. It did with Paul. In v. 22 of our chapter he says, “I delight in the law of God.” Yet only two verses later he ci-ies, “0 wretched man that I am!” Nor does this passage stand alone. In 2 Cor. 6 the same apostle says, “As solTowful, yet always rejoicing” (v. 10). Sorrowful because of his failures, because of his daily sins. Rejoicing because of the grace which still bore with him, and because of the blessed provision which God has made even for the sins of His saints. So again in Roim 8:1 after declaring, “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,” and after saying, “The Spirit Himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ” (vv. 16-17); the apostle adds, “But ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.” (v. 23) Similar is the teaching of the apostle Peter, “Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations” (1 Pet. 1:6). Sorrow and groaning, then, are not absent from the highest spirituality.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Spirit of God convicts me of sin according to the Word and nature of God

Romans 8
    1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus
    33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

The Law killed us, Judged us as Guilty and Profane God Haters. The Spirit Gave us Life. Of course i do not want to commit adultery, but do i actively seek out "Not adultering?" No! I actively Try and Pour out God's Love Onto My Wife.

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not agree with Pink on many points.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No contradiction at all.....we are given a new heart and mind that is not at emnity to God's law as the carnal mind is....
    7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God shows you how to live. The Spirit Shows you how to Live. The Entirety of the Word of God shows you how to live. Not simply 10 commands (although they are good, so do not misunderstand me).

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how can a LOST man have the 10 commandments on their heart? Oh the Hypocrisy!

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is where you will find your error.....imo.:Sneaky:Cautious

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are shown nothing outside of scriptural guidance;
    10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Moral Law of God reveals to us what God defines as being moral and true.

12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll go out on a limb here and say if you studied it for yourself, you'd disagree with Pink as well. And that's not a shot at you or him.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor with any reformed authors it would seem!

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    they are there...but broken by the fall...he cannot rightly interpret them apart from the Spirit....no hypocrisy, just your lack of understanding.

15. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Thes. 4:9
    Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other.

Yes, i will wait for you to Retract your statement. and i will not continue this discussion until you do.

#115 JonShaff, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have read much more than PINK....but he is a good read.....I do disagree with some of what pink writes...but not here....

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except it's moral to steal your neighbor's gun who is about to kill his wife. You don't get it brother.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will retract nothing ....it is spot on......

Jon....how do you define things? if the hair on your neck stands up? or you get a mystical feeling.....or...can you write along with the psalmist in psalm 1, or psalm 119? Do you hate when he declares his love for God's law?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love Psalm 1 and Psalm 119--but Because We have a greater Revelation, I understand it in Light of The New Testament Through the Righteousness of Christ. You must keep everything in it's testamental (sp?) canonical context. They Did not Know Christ and the fullness of God's Love. But we Do.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All law comes from the 10 commandments in one way, shape, or the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.