The Idea Of Free Will

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed1689, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I thought you were referring to another quote I had made that was similar but with the nuance we are now discussing. So no, I would not actually agree with the statement as it is written but I know what the author meant.

If Scripture was the sole agent that causes belief then it would either be converting everyone, or there is another factor. That factor, of course, is that not everyone is chosen to salvation and God decides who will believe the word of Scripture. I also firmly believe one cannot be saved without hearing Scripture. This is another reason we know that God chooses for some have never heard Scripture. They really do not have a choice now do they?

2. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?

3. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Scripture was the cause, why is it not powerful enough to cause everyone to believe?

4. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could be wrong but I believe there is some other assumptions (for lack of a better word) built into this question that I do not know but are important for me to understand in order to understand your question. Without them my answer is why do you believe it has to be powerful enough to cause everyone to believe?

5. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice how people hear without hearing;

“And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.” Acts 9:7 (KJV 1900)

“And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.” Acts 22:9 (KJV 1900)

“Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.” John 8:43 (KJV 1900)

“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” 1 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV 1900)

6. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it you cannot answer a simple question about Jn 12:32. Show me where the people groups are in that scripture?
    You avoid what you can't answer. You made a claim you can't back up. This shows how little you know about what you claim to know.
    MB

7. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He won't answer you because he can't.
    MB

8. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He'll answer me

9. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is ridiculous. You know good and well that in MULTIPLE other threads you and I have been over this very passage.

10. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you have never answered just like you have no answer now.
    MB

11. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good verses, however the word of God apart from the enabling of the Spirit of God cannot be received and understood properly.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How could the spirit of man know anything when his spirit is suppose to be dead? Verse 11

13. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you will find many non Calvinists that believe that.

14. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly the HG inspired the authors and the word of God.

15. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    MB,

Hello MB,

Good question, but let's think through this biblically,

Adam died spiritually...what were the effects of that.
    eph2
    12 That at that time ye were without Christ,

and strangers from the covenants of promise,

having no hope,

and without God in the world:

Spiritually dead men can know many things, but alienated sinners, with no hope, and without God in the world cannot properly welcome any spiritual truth correctly.

That is total depravity...heart ,mind, emotions, will, all effected,
    Men can be religious, but twisted and perverted.
    That is why the will is never free at any time,

16. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, God also had Peter write that He was not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance.

Now, let's look at "willing". God's WILL is, of course, always done, but here, it means He would like to see everyone saved, & it's possible for everyone now living to be saved. However, each must meet God's conditions for salvation, that is, repent of one's sins & come to Jesus in belief & submission, asking Him to forgive one's sins. But it appears one has a choice of whether to meet God's conditions for salvation or not.

And, in Scripture, we never see anyone rejected who came to God in obedience & with the proper attitude. ("Heart" is an old-fashioned term for "attitude".) And, as for Moses, Jeremiah, etc. He made them "offers they couldn't refuse".

And even ISCARIOT was eligible for salvation. He'd decided to betray Jesus because at first he thought Jesus was to tree the Jews from Roman rule, but he didn't know the Scriptural description about Messiah. But Jesus made it known to Judas that He knew of his plot. Right then & there, Judas COULD have repented & asked Jesus to forgive & save him, but we know he didn't. And, of course, he'd seen many of Jesus' miracles.

17. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think any but the most hyper of Calvinist argue the "absolutely no free will" position

18. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No just another rabbit trail.
    MB

19. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having no hope as in no salvation without Christ. Says nothing about total depravity

20. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for standing up against your evil idea of God. Keep listening to the good coinscience.