1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Irrefutable Sabbath Facts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yeshua is right and you won't admit it.
    I haven't read all the aforementioned, but I have studied Moody's writings extensively. So I will use his writings as a basis for my comments.
    Moody only claimed that the "Sabbath" was Sunday because it was convenient to do so. That is when the church gathered together. If the church had gathered on a regular basis on Tuesday he would have proclaimed that Tuesday was the "Sabbath," that is, the day that believers should take off from work, rest from their secular work and in the process come and worship God. The day didn't really matter to him. It was the principle--rest one day out of seven--preferably when the church gathers together.
    It is. And it is for the nation of Israel and for the nation of Israel alone. Why don't you keep it as prescribed for the nation of Israel. You don't keep the Sabbath. I have demonstrated that. You are a hypocrite.
    The broad brush has been in your hand.
    These men do not keep the Sabbath. It seems that you have a problem with literacy. Moody even said he worked on Sunday (Christian Sabbath), and rested on Saturday--simply a convenient day for him. You have continued to misrepresent his beliefs.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Baptist Confession of Faith does say it is the "last day of the WEEK" right?

"[FONT=&quot]From the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ this was the last day of the week, but from the resurrection of Christ it was changed to the first day of the week "[/FONT]

Since you already admit that the "seventh day" in the OT is Saturday and since the Baptist Confession of Faith admits that this is in fact "the last day of the week" -- the point remains.

in Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Genesis 1 and 2 - Adam is created on day 6 --- does not work for six days -- then rests the very next day - day 7 without first working six days.

Thus it is "the day" and not "any day 7 followed by Adam work six days" in Genesis 1 and 2.

Is the point where DHK claims he agrees with you??

Your argument is

1. The Sabbath commandment does not refer to any day of the real week. Just the mythical loosely defined "pick a day in 7 as long as you work six days first".

2. Because it is loosely defined - it can be applied to any day of the Calendar week where Sunday is day 1 -- as long as you work six days first. So then
    God just so happens to pick Saturday the 7th day of the week "the last day of the week" as BCOF says in the OT and then just so happens to pick "The first day of the week" in the NT as the Sabbath specified of the 4th commandment.

If one of these points is optional - or not key to your position - please say so.

in Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AND They claim that this was the day applicable to all mankind and kept from Eden to the Cross.

Well that is where you and the Bible differ.

That is where you and the Baptist Confession of Faith Differ,

That is where you and D.L. Moody differ.

That is where you and I differ.

Because all of those sources admit that in the OT the Sabbath was binding on all mankind not just Israel.

You are free to differ if you wish. You have free will.

in Christ,

Bob

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why do you consider to slander Moody. You shouldn't be allowed to post on this board if you continue to misrepresent another's belief system. Moody does not believe as you say.

"all of those sources admit that in the OT the Sabbath was binding on all mankind not just Israel."

The only sabbath that Moody believed was binding on believers today was the Christian Sabbath or Sunday.
    Is lying habitual with you?

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Re:
    <<It is. And it is for the nation of Israel and for the nation of Israel alone. Why don't you keep it as prescribed for the nation of Israel. You don't keep the Sabbath. I have demonstrated that.>>

The Seventh Day Sabbath is the only Sabbath Day for the nation of Israel God's ONLY People EVER -- "God's People" in and by "MY SPIRIT" the "Spirit" of God as commanded and FORETOLD in the OLD Testament already with the view to JESUS CHRIST the "Lord of the Sabbbath" who in SUFFERING obeyed the Law of the Sabbath Day and in DEATH was the Manna preserved and "KEPT from corruption" for to in RESURRECTION "ON THE SABBATH DAY" in honouring "the Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD" worship and magnify the LORD GOD.

Those great Christians did not honour the Sabbath but with PRETENSE dishonoured it, as well as the Lord of the Sabbath.

God's mercies indeed over-reaches many and great sins. It is NO EXCUSE FOR ANY CHRISTIAN to persist in the same sin ---yes, SIN!

#286 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2013
  7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    NO SIR!

THAT, is where YOU, and the Bible differ!

But what SDAs say, that, is the Bible ---the Bible according to their Mrs E.G. White.

You people will never repent. You will rather walk into hell with open, alert and excellent sight eyes.

So be it then.

#287 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Oct 26, 2013
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To that much - I agree. Good review of Mark 2:27

As the Baptist Confession of Faith points out - that SAME day was kept from Eden to the cross. And we know which day "of the week" was the 7th day of the week at the time of Christ. (As it turns out).

And Moody points out that the 4th Commandment - Sabbath is THE Sabbath "kept by Adam" in the Garden. Though he loves to try to bend it to point to Sunday after the cross in in watered down "just keep one day in 7" model -- not unlike "just pick A GOD to worship as long as you only pick one". Neither of these watered down versions of these two commandments is found in the actual OT - and I think that DHK has admitted to seeing that point.

All of them argue that the TEN Commandments (yes even the 4th commandment) are still binding on the saints today

Who can blame them for admitting that the 4th commandment still applies to mankind since even Is 66:23 has it continued in the "New Heavens and New Earth" instead of "abolished".

But those sources obviously err when they try to bend commandment 4 at the cross to point to week-day-1 instead of "the Seventh day" as specified in the actual commandment.
    Jesus condemns that idea in Mark 7 saying that it is not allowed to set the actual wording of the Commandment of God aside in favor of the traditions of man.

At this point - DHK will sometimes agree that the 4th commandment cannot be changed - that it applies to Saturday - the 7th day and cannot be edited in any other fashion.

On that one single point he is correct no matter his intention to "agree disagreeably".

As for GE - not sure where he is on this.

in Christ,

Bob

#288 BobRyan, Oct 26, 2013
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, the Church is NOT placed back upon the Sabbath of Isreal, as that was ONLY given to the jewish peoples to observe, but Church under sabbath Day as Hebrews states, which means that you keep quoting Confessions and Moody/Spurgeon et all, and NONE of them agree with you on what the Sabbath day for the Church really means now under the New Covenant!

Why not quote to us what your false prophetess said God revealed to her about the Sabbath instead, as THOSE words are what you really base it upon,right?

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are a confused man.
    Perhaps we should talk about the "church." But be sure to have your dictionary open because you will never be sure which "church" I am talking about--the building, the local church, the universal church, the denominational church, etc. I haven't changed my views on anything. Sometimes the context changes and you think I have changed. You are wrong. I have admitted to nothing.

First, from Genesis, the Lord teaches a principle--man should rest one day in seven. Days of the week were not named at that time. It really doesn't matter which day it is. The principle is: Rest one day out of seven.
    That is the principle of keeping the Sabbath that Moody taught.
    For the common person it was on Sunday.
    For him it was on Saturday, for he worked on Sunday.
    It didn't matter; it could be on any day; it was the day the church gathered and the people rested from their secular work. That was the Sabbath as Moody taught it.
    All have their own interpretation which is far different than yours.
    Therefore: non sequitor.
    Because it doesn't apply to mankind.
    Isa. 66:23 doesn't apply to mankind today.
    What applies to mankind is a principle taught in Genesis, not the force of the law. The demands of the law were met at the cross.
    You cannot bend a law. You either keep it or you don't keep it.
    The Bible teaches that the Sabbath is Saturday; It teaches that the Sabbath is only for the nation of Israel as per Exodus 31.
    You don't keep the Sabbath; you have yet to demonstrate that you do.
    You misunderstand what Jesus says. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is not his Lord, and he is not slave to it. He made it for mankind, and for mankind's enjoyment and rest, not that mankind should be a slave to it. But, like the Pharisees, you with your traditions, have made the Sabbath (as you define it) burdensome and slavish, even to the point that you (according to EGW) believe that we are going to Hell for not worshiping on Saturday, but rather on Sunday. That is being a slave to the Sabbath. It is what Christ condemned.
    That is right. It was for Israel and for Israel alone. But you ignore Ex.31 and don't bother with that Scripture as much as it is put in front of you.

Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
    16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
    --Care to be stoned??

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still think the bottom line on this issue for Sda is its what their prophetess stated God told her on the Sabbath, all others quotes a "smokescreen!"

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As for DHK I often complain that he "makes stuff up" quoting himself and then trying to attribute his own straw man to someone else - along with a liberal amount of bluster, ad hominem vitriol etc.

Here is a great example where he simply makes stuff up.
    As anyone who has actually read my posts would know - I only complain about Moody and others claiming that Sunday keeping is the right way to observe the Sabbath commandment. I never affirm them for imagining that Sunday keeping is the way to keep Sabbath.

DHK and everyone else knows this - but DHK prefers his "make stuff up" model - when going the accusation-route. And he has free will so it is what it is.

But some here may think that this means I object to everything DHK says and that I am convinced he gets nothing right at all.

But that is not true either.

Here is a small point that DHK gets right.
    And he gets this right (at least for the most part on THIS board) -

So while he does get that right - I think we can expect him to "Agree disagreeably" even on that.

Biblicist and Moody claim a "keep one day in seven" as the actual Sabbath commandment - you do not.

But I will point that just as I can identify a point or two where you actually get something right - I can do that with Moody and Spurgeon and others.

And just as that does not mean that by agreeing to one of your correct points - that I must embrace every single error that you hold - the same goes for these Baptist sources and even you know that I have complained about specific errors that they hold.

As hard as that is for you to admit when trying to agree "disagreeably".

I think you get that part right as well.

And if we ask Biblicist - what will he say about your Sabbath "keeping" and his own?

Will he also get that point correctly??

Let's look at Biblicist's answer to that - since it fits with Moody's view an with the Baptist Confession of Faith.

This is how Biblicist responded to that point

in Christ,

Bob

13. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Adam has nothing to do with this! Adam's works have nothing to do with this. The calender week as nothing to do with this!

The Sabbath is built upon God and His works in the preceding six days not man's. Yes, it is "the day" in regard and in connection ONLY to a preceding six days without any involvement with any calendar week.

Fact#1 there was no "real week" in existence but merely six working days climaxed by the seventh day of rest from those preceding six working days. The calendar week came later.

Not "loosely" defined but PROPERLY defined as no calendar, no computation of a month or week existed when the Sabbath was instituted. This ought to be clear since the calendar month IS NOT DIVISIVBLE BY SEVEN.

Wrong again! Saturday is a MYTH at this point in time as no such name or designation existed until much later. Hence, the creation Sabbath cannot be pro-designated as God's choice of the "Saturday" any more than it depends upon any later human calendar calculations and designations.

The only thing that can be summized from the seven days of creation is that God worked six days and the seventh day he rested totally and wholly in regard to those six working days. Hence, only the PRINCIPLE can be deduced and APPLIED but the creation seven days cannot be restricted or defined by any post calendar week, or post-pagan name.

Hence, the PRINCIPLE is broader than the original application by God BECAUSE God APPLIES this principle more broadly Himself and that makes it undenialbe that it cannot be restricted or defined as do the Jews and SDA.

The Jews and SDA are attempting to take the primary APPLICATION and make it the exclusive APPLICATION. However, the fact there are SECONDARY applications by God's own design (Lev. 23-25) proves the CREATION SABBATH is broader in PRINCIPLE than any particular application. That is why Baptists properly gave attention to the PRINCIPLE over any Old or New Covenant APPLICATION.

Bottom line the Jewish and SDA interpretations depend wholly upon the complete restriction of the creation Sabbath to ONE PARTICULAR APPLICATION of the Creation Sabbath Law while the Baptist interpretation harmonizes with God's own BROADER application of the Creation Sabbath and thus is founded upon the broader PRINCIPLE rather than one particular and NARROWER application.

By your restrictive application you are violating the greater PRINCIPLE. This is why I used Mark 2 and what Jesus Himself said was "unlawful" for the High Preist to do in giving the tabernacle bread to David and His men. Jesus said it was "UNLAWFUL" and it was "UNLAWFUL" according the narrower definition of the "LETTER" of the Law. However, according to the great spiritual PRINCIPLE of that same Law the High preist would have violated the same Law by NOT GIVING THE BREAD to David and His men. Why? Because the NARROWER "Letter" of the Law was designed by God to prevent a GREATER PRINCIPLE from being violated.

The Creation Sabbath must be interpreted according to the GREATER PRINCIPLE which is manifested in the MULTIPLE types of applications by God Himself rather than by the "LETTER" of the fourth commandment in regard to a particular weekly application. Both the Jews and SDA violate the Sabbath law by their restrictive application because that restrictive application is not in harmony with God's own broader applications (Lev. 23-25) but that demanded restriction is in violation of the BROADER principle behind the Law and what the Law was ultimately designed for by God.

Also, those who deny the first day of the week application are equally violating the BROADER principle of the Sabbath as they too are basing their interpretation of the Sabbath upon the narrower application under the Old Covenant.

The true understanding and interpretation of the Creation Sabbath transcends anything and everything within this present sinstained creation. It transcends mere spiritual rest in Christ. It is only fulfilled when a NEW CREATION wholly without sin and a new human race totally without sin in spirit, soul and body arrives where God can once again can look upon all that he has created and made and pronounce "very good." That will not occur in the seventh millinium of this sin cursed creation but in the eternal eighth millennium of the new heavens and earth.

#293 The Biblicist, Oct 26, 2013
  14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by BobRyan [​IMG]
    In Genesis 1 and 2 - Adam is created on day 6 --- does not work for six days -- then rests the very next day - day 7 without first working six days.

Thus it is "the day" and not "any day 7 followed by Adam working six days" in Genesis 1 and 2.
    Nor even "SIX DAYS of LABOR" Ex 20:8-11 FOLLOWED by "the seventh day of rest" where Adam gets to set the time from his own perspective. For him it was the SECOND day - not the seventh. Because God is selecting 'the very day' not simply "rest the last day of whatever week you happen to have"

Until you read the Bible in Genesis 2 where the Sabbath is made holy - the 7th day -- but not restricted to "only after Adam works 6 days".

Thus it is "the seventh day" as determined by God -- and not "a seventh day". Because in fact it is Adam's "second day"

I think you get that much right. It is "the very day" that God rested even though it is only Adam's second day - the Seventh day of the week is that specific day as determined by God.

It is not some "one day in seven that Adam picks after working six days" as I think we both know.

So God's own Sabbath commandment is 100% correct "The seventh day" is the Sabbath. And as the Baptist Confession of Faith admits it is the "last day of the WEEK" -- the very "same day" kept from Eden to the cross - and binding upon all mankind according to that Document and according to Spurgeon, and according to Moody and as God points out in Mark 2:27 "made for mankind".

I think even you get this point.

in Christ,

Blob

#294 BobRyan, Oct 26, 2013
  15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Again, Adam nor his work nor his second or any day following it had anything to do with the character or definition of the Sabbath day. "The Day" as the Sabbath has only to do with God and HIS six days of work - period! It is however applied to Adam following its defining establishment by God based upon God's work six days.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Baptist Confession of Faith admits that it is the SAME DAY that is kept from Eden to the cross and it turns out we already KNOW what day was the seventh day of the week at the time of the cross.

Hedging as you may wish - won't work there.

And even you admit that it was Saturday in the OT - so not sure why you are going down the double-speak path on that one.

in Christ,

Bob

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

If you will read the rest of my post you will discover why the particular day "Saturday" makes no difference in understanding the Sabbath Law. You are following the Jewish mindset of the Sabbath in restricting it to this nparticular application when such a mandatory restrictive application violates the very principle the Sabbath law was designed to teach.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed it is 'the very day" that is selected and not "one day in 7 of whatever week you wish" -- God selects "The very day" and "blesses IT".

The fact that it is Adam's second day does not matter - because God is not going by Adam's account but by His own count of the 7 day week. Thus the Baptist Confession of Faith admits "last day of the WEEK".

You can keep agreeing if you like and adding "period!" at the end but it does not change the point.

in Christ,

Bob

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Again, finish reading my post and you will see that the Jewish/SDA interpretation actually violates the greater principle of the Sabbath Law.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think that even DHK knows you are not correct on that point.

in Christ,

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.