1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Role of Women in the Baptist Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first one was not to be understand as a woman being an Apostle, but as a woman among their ranks as being in their company, and many see that name as being male though also!
    And no one disputes that women cn have been used in various gifts at that time, nor to be numbered among them, but there is still NO NT that states directly that a female was set apart as either Pastor or as Elder!

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not have to tell me the history of the dispute, I know all about it. I think your position is extremely weak based on my study of it.

Have I made that claim? No, I have not. I know you want to throw rhetoric at me to make it sound like you are correcting me, but you are simply puffing yourself up.

Have I made that claim? No, I have not. However, I believe it is not ruled out by the New Testament. In fact, there are hints that women held very significant leadership roles in the New Testament churches, but I don't have the time to go through them now.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Yates of the Gospel Coalition ably refutes 'Yeshua1' on this! (Yates serves alongside Mark Dever, Al Mohler, etc. on the Council of The Gospel Coalition):

From his sermon "St. Paul and Women":

"Priscilla really had the gift of leadership and discernment. She and her husband were single-handedly responsible for straightening out Apollos, that wandering preacher. A mighty preacher he was, but he didn't quite understand the gospel or the Holy Spirit. Together they straightened him out. Funny how God always seemed to raise up women in the places where [Paul] started churches, strong women who shared with [him] in leadership like Timothy did, and Titus did. There were two in Philippi, Syntyche and Euodias—strong ladies. They had some quarrels between the two of them, but they led powerfully. Phoebe—she was a deacon in the church at Cenchrea—was a tremendous help to [Paul]. Then, in Rome, there were so many women who were in leadership there with the men. There was Persis; there was Tryphosa; there was Tryphena; and so many other women who shared. Then Andronicus and his wife, Junias—they were so gifted in church planning and in leadership that we sort of referred to both of them as apostles together. Although it certainly wasn't customary in those days for women to do anything beyond their traditional roles, it was clear from the beginning that the Lord did intend women and men both to teach, to lead, to organize, to minister together."

"Many churches have found that having an ordained woman as one of their pastors has strengthened the whole pastoral team greatly. To some, it would feel uncomfortable to have a woman preach or stand at the Holy Table. To others, it would be rather comforting. Listen, a person's gender is not as important as their wisdom and their maturity and their gifts when it comes to ministry."

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not trying to make you bad or me good on this issue, just stating that the scriptures have no direct reference to a female being either pastor/Elder in a local church, nor any passage to support them being such!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This what happens when someone thinks that either God was wrong in this area, or try to bind the scriptures to current cultural norms and practices!

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's exactly what you are doing. Imposing your own cultural norms and practices!

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until you can provide one instance of a woman being a pastor you and the mighty Gospel Coalition cannot be anything but wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I do.

Blessings.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God already imposed for us His views on this , so why disagree with Him and have women pastors/elders?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no legit other way to see them though!

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree with them. Women cannot be pastors. However, you guys need to stop saying things like this it is never true.

12. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What part of Husband of one wife, is so hard to understand? That makes it pretty clear that the office of Deacon and Pastor are to be MEN.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF one just sticks to the Bible itself, there ar e no verses to support women as either pastor/elders in a local church!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, as paul could have stated both male and females qualifications for such offices!

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did!

I Tim. 3:11 In the same way, the women are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reasonable people can "stick to the Bible" and come to differing conclusions. You are a nice fella. It would be a shame for you to let your Calvinism make you arrogant.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your words, was just saying that if one wants to prove God OK's women as pastors/.Elders, no verses that support that on their own, would have to bring into the Bible preconceived culutural notions of today and what to you seems right!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That passage was detailing to us though the spiritual qualifications that a Deacon's wife should have, not her to be the Deacon!

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Which word used by Paul means "wife"?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He said that he wasa describing their the wives of the deacons are to be such!