1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yes or no: Is it insensitive on the part of Muslims to build a mosque there?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Condemning all people of a group because of the actions of a few people in the group never works for a Christian.

I would not want people to judge Christianity by the likes of this "pastor" in Florida or Westboro "Baptist" Church.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Just like it would be insensitive for this fella in Florida to burn a Koran.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, but it's WAY more than a "few people", don't you think? It's entire countries.

Look at it this way: One nut wants to burn a book

As a result, MANY will die. At least one has already.

Who's the evil one?

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Who died? ......

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I had heard on the news tonight that there were protests (I think it was in Afghanistan) and one person died. I was listening to CBS Radio.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Exactly right.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't think so. Not even every German supported Adolf Hitler. You think that entire countries support Al Qaeda? Nowhere near everyone in Afghanistan supported Al Qaeda or even the Taliban prior to 9/11/2001. There was already opposition to them before we went into Afghanistan.

9. targus

targus New Member

There is no condemnation.

Families of the victims have hurt feelings that have not yet healed.

You seem to be insensitive to that.

10. targus

targus New Member

I have heard that report too - but I also heard that the protests were actually related to a local politican under investigation and that the mainstream media simply assumed that it had to do with the proposed Koran burning.

11. targus

targus New Member

And of course just as you defended the property rights involved in the mosque building issue you equally defend the right of free speech of this pastor to burn the Koran - right?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is correct.

13. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

One other thing about the Koran burning- We also need to condemn the response of some of the people in the Muslim world to this. They need to understand that in America we have freedom. The government doesn't control us and I don't want the government to. I'm a big civil liberties advocate. As much as I despise the Rev. Terry Jones and denounce his hate and bigotry, if he wants to burn the Koran that is his right and his right to do so is absolute. There are some who have said that they will kill Americans in general over this. As much as Jones' planned Koran burning as bad, it would be infinitely more reprehensible and abhorrent for them to kill Jones over this and even worse to kill random Americans who had nothing to do with this and likely oppose the burning. If Jones goes through with this and radical Muslims attack Americans over this, we need to crack down hard and fight back. I'm not saying do anything crazy like Bush did, but we can not let our civil liberties be held hostage by terrorists.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I vividly remember 9/11/2001 and what happened that day and the fear I felt.

I am sorry for the families of those who died and I pray that God will comfort them in their loss.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fear? Really?

What were you afraid of?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    More terrorist attacks on U.S. soil as a follow up to the attacks on 9/11/2001 by Al Qaeda.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember being really POd, but fear? Not a bit.

18. targus

targus New Member

I remember feeling deep sorrow over the meaningless loss of so much life at the hands of such evil.

I remember feeling deep sorrow for the unknown families, friends, and co-workers whose lives were forever harmed by the actions of vile and despicable animals.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to say that today on 911 I still remember the faces of my lost friends in the Port Authority Electrical department. Brothers & sisters, today is a day of mourning & remembrance. Lets all be humbled & say prayers for those who still struggle with loss of family & friends.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. I felt fear. I wouldn't have felt as much fear at all if I wasn't sitting 30 miles from Ground Zero less than one mile from the largest power plant in the Metro area with fighter jets flying overhead - with my children. I can handle attack alone but with my children who were just 11, 9 and 10 months - that was hard. To think of them being injured or killed WAS frightening.

Today I remember all of the lives lost and the families who are forever affected. I remember a young man who went through our youth group, Joseph Anchundia who lost his life on most likely what was the roof of the WTC. He was on the 104th floor and was told to go to the roof. That was the information he gave his mom in his last phone call to her. Anchundia family - we are praying for you today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.