1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WARNINGS NOT TO DEPART THE FAITH (HEBREWS 6:4-8; HEBREWS 10:26-39)

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 3rdAngel, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Yep thanks Rob. At least someone else reads their bible but if that is not enough the rest of the list makes it very clear that those spoken of in HEBREWS 6:4-8 and HEBREWS 10:26-39 were "ONCE BELIEVERS" that departed the faith. This is what the warning is about.

God bless

2. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    the persistent problem is based upon this verse and this simple words for and if
    Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
    for
    γάρ
    gár, gar; a primary particle; properly, assigning a reason (used in argument, explanation or intensification; often with other particles):—and, as, because (that), but, even, for, indeed, no doubt, seeing, then, therefore, verily, what, why, yet.

if 8000 times translated and
    καί
    kaí, kahee; apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:—and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet

Use because for for in verse 4 and in verse 6 to get a more precise meaning.

What is impossible? 1. The falling away 2. renew 3. again crucify Christ

If "falling away" is impossible then "renewing" is irrelevant

A true believer can't fall away, A true believe can not be renewed because he cant fall away and no one, no power can put Christ back on the cross, It is finished.

3. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nor do I. I was just sharing.

But you kind of ignored my response. I show that enlightenment is not the same as salvation, and that enlightenment is something we must respond to with faith. There are clear verses that indicate this. No response to that?

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please read the verses VERY CAREFULLY. V4 is describing a BELIEVER. And again, only believers partake of the Holy Spirit. And it says "if they should fall away". This isn't simply sinning; it's renouncing one's belief in Jesus.

Remember, we ALL sin. We may "fly off the handle", develop a hatred for someone, cuss out someone while driving, if another driver pulls out squarely in fronta you, have a lustful thought about a member of the other gender, etc. But we don't renounce our faith in Jesus!

Heb. 6:4-6 is crearly a warning to not abandon Jesus after coming to Him.

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

Only believers are indwelled by the Holy Spirit. Only believers are sealed by the Holy Spirit. Those are the terms of salvation we look for.

Tares, on the other hand, are partakers, in that they are in the Church and can remain until the end when Jesus will sort them at the harvest. They are partakers, but they're not wheats and therefore not saved.

Jesus said,

Matt. 13:24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, “Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, “An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, “No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.” ’ ”​

#185 Calminian, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, it is speaking to believers, who are shown it is impossible to fall away, it is impossible to renew and it is impossible to put Christ om the cross

by your logic, you are placing "renouncing Christ" as "falling away" not in the verse,

parapiptō
    to fall beside a person or thing
    1. to slip aside
      1. to deviate from the right path, turn aside, wander

2. to error

3. to fall away (from the true faith): from worship of Jehovah

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stated that he will lose NONE that he saves, do you believe Him on this issue?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Calminian

Site Supporter

Boy, those sure seem like condemning terms being used:

Heb. 6:7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; 8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.​

Seems both the antinomian and extreme arminian side of this debate insist that "enlighten" must refer to saved believers. Doesn't it bother either side that Jesus himself said enlightenment is something that must be responded to with faith?

9. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Not really. I did not ignore your response at all. I addressed everything you said section by section with God's Word showing that it did not agree with the scriptures. Please if you disagree and you believe otherwise maybe you can show me why you believe I ignored your response. In the post provided to you. It was shown that HEBREWS 6:4-8 "ENLIGHTENMENT" was only one part of the description of those who were "ONCE BELIEVERS". HEBBREWS 6:4-8 besides saying these peopel were "ENLIGHTENED" also say they were "ENLIGHTENED" by "RECEIVING THE WORD OF GOD", they also "RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT". they also "TASTED OF THE WORLD TO COME" and they "TASTED OF THE HEAVENLY GIFT (Christ)" then it goes on to say they "FALL AWAY" from the faith back into a life of wilful known sin

Yep seems like I addressed your post in detail showing that the scriptures word for word was talking about those who were "ONCE BELIEVERS" and had departed the faith. These are God's Words not mine. The word "ENLIGHTENED" is used in context with the rest of the list in reference to those who were "ONCE BELIEVERS" that had fallen away and departed the faith. You would have to deny God's Word to say that HEBREWS 6:4-8 is not talking about those who were "ONCE BELIEVERS" then for extra clarity we have HEBREWS 10:26-39 that states "IF WE (believers) sin after we receive a knowledge of the truth... The WARNINGS continue.

God bless

God bless

10. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    The words "IF"; "THAN" and "FOR" do not effect the meaning of HEBREWS 6:4-8 or HEBREWS 10:26-39. They support the scriptures presented here in the OP. The GREEK and HEBREWS Word "IF" is used close to 2000 times in the OLD and NEW TESTAMENT scriptures and prove that both SALVATION and all of God's promises, blessings and curses are all "CONDITIONAL" on "BELIEVING AND FOLLOWING God's Word.

THE LITTLE WORD “IF” DEMONSTRATES IN BOTH THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT HEBREW AND GREEK SCRIPTURES THAT SALVATION IS CONDITIONAL ON FREE WILL TO CHOOSE TO BOTH BELIEVE AND FOLLOW (FRUIT) GOD'S WORD (present tense) OR NOT TO BELIEVE AND FOLLOW GOD'S WORD.

OLD TESTAMENT (Not definitive)

IF” (Hebrew) *H518; אם;'im; A primitive particle; used very widely as demonstrative, lo !; interrogitive, whether ?; or conditional, if, although ; also Oh that !, when ; hence as a negative, not: - (and, can-, doubtless, if, that) (not), + but, either, + except, + more (-over if, than), neither, nevertheless, nor, oh that, or, + save (only, -ing), seeing, since, sith, + surely (no more, none, not), though, + of a truth, + unless, + verily, when, whereas, whether, while, + yet.

We must do well according to Gods' Word (believe and follow) in order to be accepted...

GENESIS 4:7 IF (conditional) you do well, shall you not be accepted? and if you do not well, sin lies at the door. And to you shall be his desire, and you shall rule over him.

Consequences for not believing and following...

GENESIS 20:7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for you, and you shall live: and IF (conditional) you restore her not, know you that you shall surely die, you, and all that are yours.

EXODUS 4:23 And I say to you, let my son go, that he may serve me: and IF (conditional) you refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay your son, even your firstborn.

Blessings for believing and following...

EXODUS 15:26 And said, IF (conditional) you will diligently listen to the voice of the LORD your God, and will do that which is right in his sight, and will give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases on you, which I have brought on the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that heals you.

LEVITICUS 26:3-5 [3], IF (conditional) you walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them; [4] THEN I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. [5], And your threshing shall reach to the vintage, and the vintage shall reach to the sowing time: and you shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely.

LEVITICUS 26:14-18 [14], But IF (conditional) you will not listen to me, and will not do all these commandments; [15] And IF (conditional) you shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that you will not do all my commandments, but that you break my covenant: [16], I also will do this to you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and you shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it. [17], And I will set my face against you, and you shall be slain before your enemies: they that hate you shall reign over you; and you shall flee when none pursues you. [18], And IF (conditional) you will not yet for all this listen to me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins.

There are too mant more to write so may stop here for the Old Testament scriptures and maybe post some more latter.

More examples to come...

11. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    salvation is offered to all like rain, it depends upon the receiver what is brought forth, The choose comes with consequences

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 6:45 PM Pacific.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Calminian

Site Supporter

No, sorry you didn't. In fact, you skipped the main part about the meaning of enlightenment.

It would appear that in order for your theory to work, enlightenment must refer to salvation, and you must assume this a priori. For me, I'm going to search the Scriptures for the meaning of enlightenment. Passages like John 1:9, John 12:35-36 and Jeremiah 13:16 shed a lot of light on this issue, to abuse a pun. I don't think these are passages you've considered. But they make it clear enlightenment precedes faith, and demands a response.

14. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    NEW TESTAMENT (not definitive)

IF” (Greek) *G1437; אםἐάν; ean; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.; often used in connection with other particles to denote indefiniteness or uncertainty : - before, but, except, (and) if, (if) so, (what-, whither-) soever, though, when (-soever), whether (or), to whom, [who-] so (-ever)., See G3361.

God's forgiveness is conditional...

I JOHN 1:9 [9], IF (conditional) we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

MATTHEW 6:14-15 [14], For IF (conditional) you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: [15], But IF (conditional) you forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Being a disciple we must follow what Jesus says...

MATTHEW 16:24 Then said Jesus to his disciples, IF (conditional) any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Conditons for inheriting eternal life...

MATTHEW 19:16-19 [16], And, behold, one came and said to him, Good Master, what good thing shall I DO, that I may have eternal life? [17], And he said to him, Why call you me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but IF (conditional) you will enter into life, keep the commandments. [18], He said to him, Which? Jesus said, You shall do no murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, [19], Honor your father and your mother: and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

JOHN 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: IF (conditional) any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

JOHN 8:24 I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins: for IF (conditional) you believe not that I am he, you shall die in your sins.

JOHN 8:31-32 [31], Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, IF (conditional) you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed;[32], And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

JOHN 8:39 They answered and said to him, Abraham is our father. Jesus said to them, IF you were Abraham's children, you would do the works of Abraham.

JOHN 8:51 Truly, truly, I say to you, IF (conditional) a man keeps my saying, he shall never see death.

God only hears those who are following His Word...

JOHN 9:31 Now we know that God hears not sinners: but IF (conditional) any man be a worshipper of God, and does his will, him he hears.

JOHN 14:15 IF (conditional) you love me, keep my commandments.

JOHN 15:10 IF (conditional) you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

JOHN 15:14 You are my friends, IF (conditional) you do whatever I command you.

JOHN 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, IF (conditional) a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our stay with him.

JOHN 15:6-7 [6], IF (conditional) a man abides not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. [7], IF (conditional) you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done to you.

Ok once again too many to list and may post some more latter..

But you get the picture right? Both God's "SALVATION" and God's "PROMISES" are all "CONDITIONAL" on BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD. This is the same as saying "IF" we do not "BELIEVE and FOLLOW GOD'S WORD" we do not have salvation because all those who do not "BELIEVE AND FOLLOW" God's Word are "UNBELIEVERS"

So no these words only show a "CONDITIONAL PARTICLE" to HEBREWS 6:4-8 meaning IF YOU DO THIS THAN THIS WILL HAPPEN

Hope this is helpful

15. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist

If as used in the KJV is not even as the English use it , another word is used for our if in Greek

This is not Hebrew as used in the OT, it is Greek and this "if" has been translated over 8000 times as "and"

16. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mercy killing?

17. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Sorry friend but respectfully I say I think it is you that have not read and ignored the post provided to you and I guess that is why you are now only part quoting what is being written to you. In HEBREWS 6:4-8 the word "ENLIGHTENED" by itself means to KNOW. It is used in CONTEXT of "RECEIVING THE WORD OF GOD", "RECEIVING THE HOLY SPIRIT", "TASTING OF THE WORLD TO COME" and they "TASTING OF THE HEAVENLY GIFT (Christ)" then it goes on to say they "FALL AWAY" from the faith back into a life of wilful known sin. Now please show me how these people were not "ONCE BELIEVERS"? If you cannot why do you not believe the scriptures provided? They are God's Word not mine and we should believe and follow them. We can stop here but we have not even started talking about HEBREWS 10:26-39.

#197 3rdAngel, Sep 23, 2019
  18. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    As shown through the scriptures earlier the GREEK and HEBREW words used for "IF" only demonstrate "CONDITIONS" of what is being said. Therefore does not effect the meaning of HEBREWS 6:4-8 and HEBREWS 10:26-39. Another words "IF" (CONDITION) we do this that this will happen.

IF” (Greek) *G1437; אםἐάν; ean; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.; often used in connection with other particles to denote indefiniteness or uncertainty : - before, but, except, (and) if, (if) so, (what-, whither-) soever, though, when (-soever), whether (or), to whom, [who-] so (-ever)., See G3361.

IF” (Hebrew) *H518; אם;'im; A primitive particle; used very widely as demonstrative, lo !; interrogitive, whether ?; or conditional, if, although ; also Oh that !, when ; hence as a negative, not: - (and, can-, doubtless, if, that) (not), + but, either, + except, + more (-over if, than), neither, nevertheless, nor, oh that, or, + save (only, -ing), seeing, since, sith, + surely (no more, none, not), though, + of a truth, + unless, + verily, when, whereas, whether, while, + yet.

The word "IF" being used in both the OLD and NEW TESTAMENT scriptures only support the scriptures provided in this OP and show that both SALVATION and God's PROMISES are always CONDITIONAL on BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's Word.

Hope this is helpful.

#198 3rdAngel, Sep 23, 2019
  19. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not if it is kai, and not Hebrew.

καί kaí, kahee; apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:—and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.

mostly translated "and" like Hebrews 1:1

your previous post is unrelated to the verses

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    This is one of God's promises to those who "BELIEVE AND FOLLOW" God's Word (present tense verb). It is not a promise to those who depart the faith to become "UNBELIEVERS" and no longer believe and follow God's Word and return to a life of known unrepentant sin *HEBREWS 6:4-8; HEBREWS 10:26-39. Those who do not believe (present tense verb = believing) are condemned because they do not believe and follow *JOHN 3:15-21.

God bless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.