1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured WHAT ARE THE BASIC PROBLEMS IN LORDSHIP SALVATION?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Steven_15, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At some point I'd like to see a thread about this, but for now:

I keep seeing this pattern of established "hierarchy" in God's churches in many threads on this board, and I believe that I know where it's coming from...
    Where people get this idea of "leadership" in the church, I do not know, but it's not the Bible.
    Perhaps many are confusing apostleship with the Lord giving the serving offices of pastors, bishops, teachers and deacons to His body ( Ephesians 4 )?

The reality of it is, that they are not "leaders" in the worldly sense.
    They are humble servants who serve the body from a position of wisdom, spiritual growth and humility.
    They do so from a stand point of truly caring for the growth and welfare of those that the Lord has placed within the local assembly.

Another thing that I see that people often overlook...
    The Holy Spirit makes them overseers, not men ( Acts of the Apostles 20:28 ).

Therefore, God does not have "colonels", "captains", "lieutenants", "sergeants" ( clergy ) and "privates" ( lay-people ) that make up Christ's body.
    That is man's way of doing things, not God's way.

Someday I hope that every believer in Jesus Christ comes to see this and identify it as the Lord does...
    The doctrine of the Nicolaitains, which thing the Lord hates ( Revelation 2:6, Revelation 2:15 ).

For clarification, believers are not to have "leaders" in the secular sense.
    Please see Matthew 20:20-28, Mark 10:35-45, Luke 24:22-40.
    He hates when His sheep seek dominion over one another as the Gentiles do.

The reality of this is that we have one leader, and that is Christ.
    As His sheep, we follow Him, not our teachers and pastors.;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repent by believing and confessing that Jesus is Lord. That's what the text says.

I will take the liberty of repeating something I wrote on another thread just before it was closed.

My understanding of 'Lordship salvation' is that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour. If I will not have Him for my Lord, why should I suppose that I can have Him for my Saviour? Salvation is indeed free, but it's not cheap.

If a child is born who bears no resemblance whatsoever to its father, eyebrows tend to be raised and urgent questions asked. What then should we think of someone who claims to be born of a Holy God, but in whom there is no sign of holiness to be observed?

Here is John Owen speaking on Hebrews 6:4-6.

'Let it be said that while Scripture speaks plainly and positively of the perseverance of the saints, yet it is a perseverance of saints, not unregenerate professors. Divine preservation is not only in a safe state, but also in a holy course of disposition and conduct. We are 'kept by the power of God through faith.' We are kept by the Spirit working in us a spirit of entire dependency, renouncing our own wisdom and strength. The only place where we cannot fall is one down in the dust. It is there the Lord brings His own people, weaning them from all confidence in the flesh, and giving them to experience that it is when they are weak that they are strong. Such, and such only, are saved and safe forever.'

#42 Martin Marprelate, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trusting in Jesus' Lordship alone is no guarantee, Matthew 7:21. Trusting in what one does.

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If He is not Lord of all, He is not Lord at all." He is either Lord over your life or He is not. Its pretty simple.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 7:21. 'Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My father in heaven.' These are people who profess Christ's lordship but in their lives deny it. And He will say to them, 'Depart from Me, you who practise lawlessness"' (verse 23).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord has established in the local assembly pastors and elders and deacons, and those persons need to have their lives conforming to the scripture guidelines! NOT to be perfect, but if a pastor starts to teach and preach that Jesus was a created being, that body needs to get him out of there quick!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think the major "problem" within LS theology is the concept of Lordship does not seem to give time for maturity, as we all growth at different rates of speed in the Image of Christ!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Jesus that we believe in is called the Lord Jesus!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the viewpoint of God the father, Jesus is already the Lord over every Christian!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul stated that none of us can call Jesus LORD except by the Holy Spirit!

11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until one submits to His Lordship, they are not a Christian!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be hard to define, as its all or nothing eh?

13. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve, you have no support here besides your own personal opinion. Second, you are brutally misunderstanding Jesus sermon on the mount, specifically Matthew 5:48.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How much of your life do we have to give Him? 1%? 50%? 51%?

15. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve the onus is on you. You are avoiding what Rob has legitimately requested. I find it odd that you cannot or will not fulfill his request.
    In your OP you merely state an unsubstantiated opinion. You have the responsibility to support your accusations with data.

16. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    ??? Are you saying your opinions are God's word?

Steven, I have yet to see you post more than one verse from any place in the Bible. That method of quoting the Bible is the method cults and other non-Christians use to claim they have made a legitimate point. They never quote in context. You are abusing scripture when you quote as you do. You have to answer to God for the sloppy use of scripture that you are doing.

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 7:22, ". . . have we not . . ." Trusting in their deeds.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is both Lord and Christ. Acts of the Apostles 2:36. Persons are not saved by trusting in His Lordship and works, Matthew 7:22. But in Him being the Christ, 1 John 5:1.

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 7:21-23.

20. Steven_15

Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree. This makes lordship salvation a heresy.

Thus it steals assurance of salvation and rendering all their worship joyless or a phoney joy.

What is the purpose of chastisement and reproofs? To move christians to trust in His grace which rules them (Romans 5:21) rather than move them deeper into the moral law which produces a phoney transformation.

#60 Steven_15, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.