What are the Main differences between reformed Baptists and other Baptists then?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Yeshua1, Aug 26, 2017.

1. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I suspected, Martin either does not understand Reformed Theology, or denies it. Next he will have once again prove with quotes my view is scriptural and his view (Reformed Theology) is bogus. Wait and see

3. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I did not say all, therefore a misrepresentation.
    2) David agrees, Reformed Baptists deny Christ gave Himself as a ransom for all.
    1 Timothy 2:6
    who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.
    3) David disagrees with Martin and agrees with non-Reformed Baptists that Christ is the propitiation (means of salvation) for the whole world.
    4) Not sure whether David's church has congregational polity or if it is a Reformed Baptist church.
    5) David denies the Reformed Baptist doctrine of "regeneration before faith" and "the gift of faith."
    6) David says his church has open Communion, but does not address the fenced communion common of Reformed Baptists.

The basic thrust of David's post is that since there are exceptions to the prevailing view, I am 100% wrong. Taint so in other words! :)

4. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that Martin is a reformed Pastor, so he should know it better than you do!

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God intend the death of Jesus to provide salvation for all sinners then?

6. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not suggesting you are 100% wrong, but you are 100% wrong in your generalisations.
    Wwe once visited a nearby General Baptist Church. The Pastor said "Communion is the oldest tradition in the Church" While I was pondering on that, I missed something and my wife whispered to me "He believes in transubstantiation." I replied "He can't do." On the way out, my wife said to the pastor, "I didn't know you baptists believe in transubstantiation." He replied "Well you live and learn."

So if I applied your logic, I could say General Baptists believe in transubstantiation.

Which reminds me, a member of a different local baptist church who used to come to our seniors lunch at our church, one day said "Our pastor is holding lent classes." When I asked "Why?" He didn't say anything at first, and another member of our church also asked "Yes why?" he thought for a couple of minutes and then said "I suppose he thought it was a good idea."

7. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use the quote function.

8. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I will next time.

9. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the Bible say? Did Jesus become the means of salvation for all sinners (yes) or did He save all sinners (No). Anyone God transferred into Christ, is saved, therefore Jesus is the means of salvation for the whole world, but only those transferred are saved. Does anyone think the Reformed posters cannot grasp that doctrine? Wait and see.

10. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi David, I am 100% right in my generalizations. I did not say nor imply all Reformed Baptists believe this or that. But to deflect, that is the tactic taken, disingenuous yes, deceptive, yes, disgraceful yes. I did indicate those views were the prevailing views.
    Did you claim any of them were not the prevailing views? Or did you offer anecdotal evidence of exception? :)

11. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what the prevailing view is. I only know our churh and similar churches in the area.

12. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi David, nothing wrong with that!!

13. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Which book of the Bible does this quotation come from?
    2. The shed blood of Christ may be considered a means of salvation, (eg. Colossians 1:14; 1 John 1:7) but Christ Himself is the Saviour. He saved us by the shedding of His blood. Do you get it? Do you see the difference? No, I thought not, but it was worth a try. :Rolleyes

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, was it the will of God that the death of Jesus would save all sinners, by Him dieing in the stead/place of all sinners?

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who God will is to save will be the elect in Christ, the ones who Jesus death provided full atonement for their sins!
    Saved by the will of God, not by the will of man!

16. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the inability (or pretense) to represent the prior post. Here is the same answer yet again. Jesus is the means of salvation for the whole world, but only those transferred into Christ are saved

Now did Yeshua1 present any difference? Nope. So yet more deflection and off topic diversions.

17. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have provided scripture supporting my view, Christ is the propitiation or means of salvation, for the whole world, 1 John 1:2. Has Martin supported His view/. No. Did anyone say Jesus was not the Savior? Nope. On and on he goes with deflection.

Once more Christ shed His blood for all mankind, but only those God transfers in Christ are propitiated. Only those God transfers into Christ are cleansed by His blood from all sin.

Summary, I have provided 5 quotes from commentary agreeing with me that Jesus as the propitiation provides the means of salvation from the wrath of God. Martin has simply posted "taint so" again and again.

18. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you'll find you have.

19. Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed. Good move.

BTW, I did get your email, but it failed some security areas. Both Kapersky and Webroot. It might have been a fluke, but far worse, I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you.

God Bless

20. Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

John 15:16: "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you."

John 1:12,13: "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

Acts 13:48: "And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed."

Romans 9:15-16: "For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy."

Romans 9:22-24: "What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?"

Ephesians 1:4-5: "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,"

Ephesians 1:11: "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:"

Philippians 1:29: "For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;"

1 Thessalonians 1:4-5: "Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God. For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake."

2 Thessalonians 2:13: "But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:"

2 Timothy 1:9: "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,"

Ephesians 2:8-10 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God

John 6:37 - All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

John 6:44 - 4 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

1 Peter 1:2 - Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Now, show us a single verse that demonstrates that people have free will unto salvation.