What can affect the brain?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Brother Bob New Member

could it have been unfermented and watered down?
    Just a thought.

2. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Posted on the "coffee" thread:

I know there are people like that.

As for me, I had my first taste of wine (also the first alcoholic beverage) when I was 33. The reason I decided to have half a glass of wine was because my study of the scriptures demonstrated that I had made the prohibition of alcohol an idol. a false test of spirituality, even though the scripture said no such thing (and yes, I know, many people disagree with that perspective).

- I have never wanted to be drunk (or even mentally altered).
    - I have never had more than one drink per week.
    - I have never even approached the state of drunkeness (my blood alcohol level has never exceeded .01).

I was convicted of making a spiritual idol out of teetotalism. The new time someone offered me hospitality in the form of a glass of wine, I accepted and was a model of temperance.

3. Diggin in da Word New Member

John Gill on Proverbs 9:2
    she hath mingled her wine; which also makes a considerable part in a banquet or feast, #Es 5:6; and the church is called a banqueting house, or a house of wine, #So 2:4. The love of Christ is compared to wine, #So 1:2,4; to old wine for the antiquity of it, being more ancient than ours to him, or than ourselves, even as old as eternity; to wine, on the lees well refined, for the purity of it, being free from all motives and conditions in the creature; to strong generous wine, which exhilarates and refreshes the weak, the weary, and distressed. The Gospel of Christ is also compared to wine, #So 7:9; to old wine, for the ancient doctrines of it; and to neat wine, for the purity of it; and to generous wine, for the pleasure, joy, and comfort it gives: the blessings of grace which it exhibits may be so called from their comforting and refreshing nature, which are had freely, #Isa 55:1; and so are the joys of heaven, #Mt 26:29. Now the "mingling" of this wine is in allusion to the mixture of wine, either with something richer, as spice, #So 8:2; or rather with water, as Jarchi observes, which was usual in those hot countries, to make it fit and suitable drink for the bodies of men: the mixture was no doubt according to the strength of the wine; the wine of Sharon, being strong wine, was mixed two parts water and one wine {e}; which, with the ancients {f}, before three parts water and two wine; though, according to Plutarch {g}, they had three ways of mixing, which they called by three different names; the one was three parts water and two wine, the other three parts water and one wine, the third was one wine and two water; the first of them was reckoned the best mixture {h}: one Cerassus is said to be the inventor of mixing wine with water {i}; others ascribe it to Melampus {k}, and others to Amphictyon. And this, spiritually understood, does not design any impurity or degeneracy, such as is complained of, #Isa 1:22; for the love of Christ is pure and sovereign; the Gospel of Christ is free of all mixtures of human doctrines; the blessings of grace are all of free grace, without the mixture of men’s works, and so is eternal life; salvation is all of free grace, and not by works of righteousness done by men mixed with it. But this may design the various displays of the love of Christ in the several acts of it, before time, in time, and now in heaven; or the joint display of the love of Father, Son, and Spirit, in the salvation of men, and the harmony and agreement of the divine perfections therein; and the publication of the Gospel, and the accommodation of the truths of it to the capacities of men: and perhaps some respect may be had to the blood and water that issued from the side of the slain Lamb of God, here prophetically and figuratively held forth;

Verse 5:
    and drink of the wine [which] I have mingled; of the love of Christ; or of the love of the Father, Son, and Spirit, which meet and mingle together: to "drink" of this is to partake of it by faith, and be persuaded of interest in it; this may be drank largely of, for there is enough, a river of it; and without danger, it is not intoxicating as wine, wherein is excess; and it may be had freely, without money and without price, #So 1:2,4 5:1 Isa 55:1.

4. Diggin in da Word New Member

Good, you should never want to be drunk.

Doctors have proven one glass of wine alters the thinking process to a degree. In some, to a higher degree. Blows yer first statement.
    Do you have access to a breathalyzer each time you drink that one glass? How do you know that you have never been above .01? Do you send a sample of blood off to the labs each week immediately after consuming you wine? If not, how do you know that you have never been above .01? Do you get pulled over by the police and have the breathalyzer test run each week?

5. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One glass of wine CANNOT put someone over 0.01 BAC unless they have a metabolic disorder that would not change the alcohol to sugars.

6. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eating anything alters your mind, to some degree.

That doesn't make a person "altered" according to any sane and reasonable definition.

Never used a breathalyzer.

Because of the chart included in the article that "His Blood Spoke My Name" linked to on the first page of this discussion.

Here's the link: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/alco.html

I know my body weight and I know the maximum amount of alcohol I have ever had at one time (5 ounces of white wine). I also rarely drink anything alcoholic on an empty stomach... it is usually with a meal.

This isn't rocket science.

7. Diggin in da Word New Member

Funny, a lawyer in Washington in DC defended a person who's BAC was .03 after one glass back in October.

8. Diggin in da Word New Member

Funny, I don't see a .01 on that chart. It starts with .02 and goes up.

And even at 1 glass, impairment begins. Your mind has been altered.

See how wine deceives as the Word of God says, you can't even tell your mind is altered with one glass.

9. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    I just looked at those charts myself and from what I can see, for a person to have a BAC of .01 after only one glass of wine, he or she would have to weigh in excess of 240lbs.

And, as pointed out, the impairment of the brain has already begun with just that one glass.

10. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You’re right.

And you don’t see body weight listed above 240 pounds either.

I’m a bit over 6’05” and about 300 pounds on a large frame. If you follow the trends in the chart, it is very clear that I do not exceed .01.

And if you don’t want to accept that (and I doubt you do), here are two links to calculators that will let you see that I am correct:

http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp

http://www.onlineconversion.com/bac.htm

Furthermore, I rarely accept a full serving of wine. And even then, I frequently do not finish it.

But not impaired.

My mind is not altered in a harmful way. As I said before, anything you eat alters your mind because of the sugars involved.

See how you have been deceived by your own presuppositions?

11. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

Believe it or not, some of us weigh more than 240 pounds.

12. EdSutton New Member

Well, I'll suggest one thing, as I start to read this thread. Not even a fish could breathe in "pure H2O"! And if a fish can't, I KNOW humans can't! :rolleyes:

Ed

13. Diggin in da Word New Member

6' 5" and nearly 300 pounds?

Wow! you are dangerously overweight my friend.
    The ideal weight for someone your height even with a large frame is no higher than 207 pounds. Above that is extra weight that the heart has to work overtime to support. Very dangerous. And to add alcohol to that? Alcohol in any amount is very dangerous to one who is overweight.

14. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: You are the third person now to razz me about my goof. Since I can't edit my post I meant O2 :laugh:

15. EdSutton New Member

Shucks! You had to go and tell him about O2, didn't you! :rolleyes: (BTW, it would properly be "O2", not "O2", as the subscript is always smaller in an atomic chemical formula. Just for your info.)

Ed

16. Brother Bob New Member

I feel so much more educated now. :BangHead:

17. EdSutton New Member

I'd say that while fish oil is good, and my doctor has even suggested it for my heart, the obtaining of fish oil has some very significant side effects concerning the fish involved! :laugh: :laugh: Aspirin, on the other hand...

Ed

18. Brother Bob New Member

:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :laugh:

19. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey Bob - I think you're going to need some aspirin for that headache from those bricks!!

20. EdSutton New Member

Wait a minute! On another thread you promised NOT to squeeze it!

Ed