1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Dispensationalism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's actually the "normative" view, or revised dispensationalism in Ryrie's terminology. It is taught all over the world (very few teachers would stick to Scofield), and is not specific to my teaching.

Straying from normative dispensationalism are progressive and hyper (or ultra) dispensationalism.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you don’t realize that all modern dispensation thinking came from Darby (called the “father of dispensation” by Ryrie, if my memory is working). At least that is the claim on the B.B. (Sarcasm).

Trouble being, Ryrie was wrong in that appointment, but in the context of what became popular dispensation thinking, Darby was the father.

As you stated, the earliest church teaching was premillennial, and dispensation was not alien to their teaching, and, in my opinion, an intricate part of presenting acceptable service for God’s glory.

What is unfortunate (imo) is the surge to reject Darby, by some, lead to a rejection of premillennialism, when the two are more easily uncoupled and premillennialism be found securely presented in the Scriptures Long with proper dispensation teaching

One positive about Darby, his work in the Scriptures has undergone numerous in-depth reviews and he has not been found unfaithful to the Word. I may disagree with some conclusion or nuance, but at least he did not become heretical as some have uneducatedly pronounced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post, and all true. Just a warning: don't try to read Darby's works. They are really turgid!

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well...I suppose I might not be aware of the new wrinkles...I listened to hours of S Lewis Johnson....and the men from believers chapel...william payne...sam storms...mcrae...deffinbaugh...walvoord.etc....so I will pay attention. ..

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have taken much time to speed read through a number of his works. They are not for the faint of heart!

Until about a year or so ago, I had never read much if anything that he wrote. I have been looking for error, Something in which to agree to the claim made of him being heretic. Just can’t find anything. Neither have others.

He writes like a lawyer, so he and I wouldn’t get along, and although he leans to some Calvinistic imprints, he was too much into unorganized worship for my taste.

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for this useful thread, toward sorting out dispensationalism and its understanding. Not to break into what John is doing, and not intended to divert the discussion here, but this link mentions and discusses a couple different ways that dispensationalism has been subdivided: Things Dispensationalism Does Not Teach.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kind of peripheral to your OP, John, but Scofield as a person has been attacked in several books in recent years. The move away from Scofield began long before those books, it seems, but do you think that he has been somewhat discredited -- making an appeal to him even less likely in modern times?

Thanks.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so new. Chafer's Systematic Theology (whose definition of dispensation I quoted as not being a period of time) is from 1947. Ryrie's Dispensationalism Today (a standard textbook) is from 1965, and the revision which is my textbook is copyright 1995 and 2007. (This revision, titled just Dispensationalism, was done to deal with progressive dispensationalism.) One young lady last year made the mistake of using both the original Ryrie and the revision as sources for her paper. Confused

So, going from Chafer, you are about 70 years behind. ;)

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he has been somewhat discredited. But the theology does not depend on Scofield's personal life. So attacks on dispensationalism based on the personal life of Darby or Scofield are error in logic of ad hominem. I know many wonderful, godly people who are dispensationalists, and many who hold to other theologies.

Today I got my list of nine students for Dispensational Theology, and they are all wonderful young Christians. I'm delighted to have the privilege of teaching them theology.

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how and when was that laminated chart "Given by inspiration of God?" :)

11. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting thread but based on a word which occurs only 4 times in Scripture, in one of which there is an indication of it being time related. Eph. 1:10 That would appear to be the sense used by Scofield to develop dispensationalism. The theological system that many of us challenge.

If I've counted correctly (& I haven't read every word) we now have FOUR definitions of dispensation, which word is a translation of a Gk word meaning stewardship. I'll quote yours -

There is of course a sense in which a word is defined by its common usage & incorrect usage finds its way into approved, accepted definition. That has clearly happened with "dispensation." Most Christians have a Scofield understanding of D whether they enthusiastically accept it, or reject it.

How are you proposing to correct the definition for the general Christian public?

And have you a suitable word to define what is generally understood as dispensationalism?

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This chart

Redirect Notice
    Redirect Notice

I am trying to paste it.....it announced it was Gods plan for the ages....I obtained at a premill school in clarks summit pa.
    Baptist bible college. Notice it clearly says Gods plan TC.....are you suggesting it might not be direct revelation???? bm_chart_large.jpg

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know. I have the chart. My question was "How and when was that laminated chart "Given by inspiration of God?"

As baptists we believe our Supreme and Final Authority is the Bible, not a laminated chart from BBC/CS (now Clarks Summit University). :)

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I at one time gave this away as a tract...lol...on the back it tried to give an explanation of salvation...

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The men at believers chapel explained that if I had the chart...a strongs concordance...and a scofield bible...I was good to go.
    Are you suggesting they were mistaken T C.....once I bought Things to Come, walvoord on matthew, late great planet earth, the basis of premillenial faith, I figured I was IN.I drove three states away to hear Jack van impe.... and a man named Marvin Rosenthal.....a couple of Salem Kirban novels.....not sure where I took a wrong turn???

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You might be correct sir....lol....I thought I was historic premill for awhile...ie, George Eldon Ladd, then perhaps an optimistic amillennial person.....now drifting toward postmill.....
    I am not quite a prophecy expert TC...haha...maybe you noticed.
    The thing is They were good men and I did learn some from Each person.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek word occurs seven times.
    Scofield's was wrong in saying a dispensation is an era or age. The others were all similar, with only the vocabulary being different.
    And a main point of this thread is that Scofield is 100 years old or so, and those of us who teach the theology don't depend on him. For a better understanding, read Dispensationalism by Charles Ryrie. For a shorter and simpler explanation, see the little book with the same title by Michael Vlatch.
    Correct what definition? I gave my own, which agrees with Ryrie and Chafer.
    Don't know what you mean. The term already in use is fine. Just because a view may be mistaken in details (Scofield and others) doesn't mean it is no longer dispensationalism.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, how does a dispensation work? We start with the dispensation of Innocence, which is the time of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. It's a perfect example. We don't know how long they were there--how many years the dispensation was in place, or how long the era was. That's not important; the stewardship and God's glory are important.

God gave mankind (two people at the time) commands, constituting their stewardship.
    :
    Gen. 1:28--And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    2:16-17--And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

As we all know, Adam and Eve failed at their stewardship, showing mankind as frail and weak, but God Himself as perfect yet full of compassion and justice. In other words, God was glorified by the failure of Adam and Eve, giving us a wonderful picture of who He really is.

More Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread makes very relevant reading -
    What do you think of Isaac Watts as a dispensationalist?

The link to the article cited is here.
    Thanks A-M for linking to it. Pity there were only a few replies.

It does indicate that dispensation is a commonly used term. He quotes Ryrie -
    I think the association of time with dispensation is due to the way Eph. 1:10 reads - the dispensation of the fulness of time implying other dispensations relating to other times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.