1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Reformed Theology?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Jan 23, 2012.

1. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Ok, I agree with everything you said....but you tell me then why Calvinists believe that they receive this Grace and others are denied?

John

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

no it doesn't. Show me one reformed article that says that. you won't find one. What you are doing is taking a reformed statement and fitting it in with your beliefs and then making that statement. It's more of a misunderstanding on your part.
    enabled...not allow. you are using the wrong terms which have very different meanings.
    ok
    conscience....;):)
    How is it arrogant to say as a human that God chose me, but not because of anything good in me? There is no arrogance at all with that.

What about what Jesus said? All that believe will be saved. No Calvinist will disagree with that.

btw, God could have done it the way you have described. Man has no right to salvation. People that don't believe don't want to believe.

ps. sorry for the multiple reply posts. I should have combined them together. I do think you are asking some honest questions, let's just keep the arrogance/prideful comments out. I will explain why here and in a post below.

#42 jbh28, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

nothing, that's why we cannot boast in our salvation nor boast in our election. condition election would have an issue with what you said, but not unconditional election. God didn't choose me because I'm better than another person. I'm not. I'm a sinner. I deserve hell. God showed me mercy, something I didn't deserve.

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

What's your answer?

As for me, Ephesians 1:11. It's nothing in the person that earns or merits grace. I received grace not because of anything in me nor anything I did but because of the good pleasure of God's will. I don't believe I received grace because I was smarter than another person so I knew to accept. I believe I had a depraved hart(heart of stone) and God changed it to a heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

So, you would say that a Calvinist, who believes he was chosen apart from anything good in him including a choice, is arrogant, but a person who believes that he was chosen because he chose isn't? That doesn't make sense? How can I be prideful if God choosing me had nothing to do with anything about me, my works or my decision?
    so you have reason to have pride(not saying you do) But I don't because the difference between the "worst sinner" and me is that I'm justified because of the shed blood of Christ.

See John, you are saying Calvinist have nothing to boast about. Calvinist believe in unconditional election. So it cannot be because of anything in us. If one believes he is chosen because he was smart enough to believe in Jesus, then he could boast in his election.

Many believe that election works like this: Jesus stands at the gate of heaven. People come to him in repentance and faith. He chooses to accept some that come and rejects others. This isn't election. This isn't Calvinistic election. This is definitely not biblical election.

Instead, it's more like this: Jesus stands at the gate of heaven. He calls for people to repent and believe in him. People refuse to believe or repent. Jesus in his mercy saves some.

Remember, we don't deserve heaven. We deserve hell. God in his mercy saves some. He doesn't have to save all. He has promised that everyone that believes will be saved. That is 100% true. The question is why does one believe and not another? Is it the person, then he has something to boast about. Is it God, then the person has nothing to boast about.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is good....unlike several who post in here and do not seem to comprehend any of it at all:thumbs:

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good post jbh....if you read what some have posted we are all sinners...but they are saved because of what they did,,,that the other sinners did not do...sounds alot like .....Lord I thank thee that I am not like other men......because I choose;);)

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't know why God shed his grace on me, put me under the sound of the gospel, sent the Holy Spirit to show me my sin and convict me, created a desire within me to repent of sin and trust him alone for salvation.

I don't know why there are people today who have never heard the gospel, and that includes some in America.

I don't know why there are millions and millions in China who have been cut off from hearing the gospel.

I don't know why all those people in Athens never heard the gospel until Paul came and preached to them.

All I know is that God extended grace to me, who is no better than those who've never heard the gospel.

If God has saved you, it is because he chose you, convicted you, illuminated your mind, drew you to repentance and faith. It is not a cause for arrogance or smugness.

9. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    50 words...

Todays reformed theology is a system attempting to explain the Bible and Jehovah God's relationship with man via 3 covenants (works, redemption, grace) which are not found in the Bible. It is characterized by the idea that the actual covenants given to the Israelites belong to the New Testament assembly.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHOA - we've go a winner!
    ...and exactly 50 words!

I think I'll throw in a bit about TULIP and the Westminster Confessions and that should do it.

Thanks Thomas.

Rob

11. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob, It was a labor of love.

I must confess though, in my weakness I wanted to mention the lip service given to sola Scriptura espoused by those who call themselves reformed but opted to stay within the bounds, terms and conditions of the question mentioned in the OP.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Theology covers more than just Soteriology. The Calvinistic TULIP addresses that part of Reformed Theology concerning Soteriology.

This view teaches we were saved or damned from all eternity for all eternity and nothing we can do will alter that foreordained outcome for ourselves or our loved ones.

The majority of Christians, myself included, believe one or more aspects of the TULIP are false doctrines.

13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Both cals/Non cals hold to man having a will...

We hold that its now under the bondage of the sin nature/flesh, so we can still make decisions, its just that our very natures right preclude us being able to accept Christ, we will naturally reject him!

Non cals hold that we still have free will same as Adam had, that we can fullly accept/reject Christ!

All depemds on one defines "free will!"

We do NOT see human as robots, just forced by God blindly to trust in Christ!

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

there has always been discussions among cals IF calvin held to limited/unlimited atonement, so no new news here!

I hold to 4 points of DoG, so personally see no problem it being either way!

15. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

reformed baptists hold to all aspects of reformed theology, including TULIP/Covenant theology etc

many non reformed baptists here hold to just the sotierology aspect of DoG/TULIP!

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the typical baloney fed to believers in Calvinistic churches.

What the Bible actually teaches is Christ provided reconciliation to all men, but only believers "receive" the reconciliation. Therefore Christ's death accomplished two things, (1) He became the propitiation or means of salvation for the whole world, all mankind, and (2) He became our justification, sanctification and redemption for those God puts in Christ, those whose faith God credits as righteousness.

So lets add up the false statements in the Calvinist mantra:

Christ's death did not save anybody. The truth is Christ's death saved everyone put in Christ. And it made all men savable. It is not either/or, it is both. Do you really think this is atad too difficult for the Calvinist wise men to grasp, or are they providing misinformation on purpose?

Christ's death did not remove the penalty of sin from anyone? The truth is when God puts a person spiritually in Christ, they undergo the circumcision of Christ where the body of flesh (sin) is removed.

Does Christ's death provide a place, a propitiation, where the lost can find mercy? Yes, but not by entering all by themselves. Scripture clearly teaches we do not enter Christ, God puts us in Christ, 1 Corinthians 1:30.

Do we bring ourselves to faith without God's grace? No, God sets before us life or death and begs us to choose life. But He alone sovereignly credits our faith, or not and puts us in Christ, or not, we do not save ourselves for it does not depend upon the man that wills but upon God.

Reformed Theology does not accurately reflect what the bible teaches, and worse, it misrepresents what other views teach.

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if any of the forum folks noticed, but Van is becoming a Calvinistic thinker.

Look at what he posted. It fits the Calvinistic thinking even though he wants to claim his thinking as something else.

Each statement he made in support of his view is Calvinist and I the even used bold in his own post to show proof.

Welcome, Van!

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can almost hear "Run-away" on my radio. If you think Calvinism's limited atonement teaches Jesus became the propitiation for all mankind, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for you. :)

But, yes, many of the facets of Calvinism hit the mark. I think you should file that under the grace of God's revelation.

19. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

think more accurate to say that the non cals/arms "hitting" many theological marks would be direct result of the Grace of God in his divine revelation!

20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "....a Protestant theological system and an approach to the Christian life.[1] The Reformed tradition was advanced by several theologians such as Martin Bucer, Heinrich Bullinger, Peter Martyr Vermigli, and Huldrych Zwingli, but this branch of Christianity bears the name of the French reformer John Calvin (Jean Cauvin in Middle French) because of his prominent influence on it and because of his role in the confessional and ecclesiastical debates throughout the 16th century......"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_theology