1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Reformed Theology?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Jan 23, 2012.

1. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Just curious, how far beyond what Calvin taught in his Institutes did calvinists after him went into what we call modern calvinism?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. . .isn't there a word for that?

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

just was asking if there were any areas where his followers had gone beyond what he actually had written and taught as being "Cavin doctrines?"

what was made essential in calvinistic doctrines/theology beyond what he wrote or intended?

4. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that Calvin was as supersessionist as the modern reformed are. Covenant theology has it's base in the WCF, not so much as in institutes,

I have mentioned this in the past but the reformed among us are quite tolerant of different views as long as they are in agreement on TULIP and have a distain for the dispies. The theological twisting and turning that allows one to be post mil, another A-mil and a third to be preterist and a fourth to be a flat out liberal and yet still get along is quite something. One the other hand, if the dispies disagree on anything no matter how minute, well that's proof that their system is not Biblical.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please don't tell me that you spend time reading the threads in the theology forum? You seem a bit naive along these lines.
    Is that like saying:
    A dog is only a dog if it is a Husky.
    If it isn't a Husky then it is a dog.

Yeah, we all know some Calvinists that reason that way. They are so narrow minded they don't know how to think straight. :rolleyes:

6. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not bloody likely my friend. Actually, I wish this were so. However I leave open the possibility that there is a disconnect between us.

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Actually, the ones that REALLY put a burr under theur saddle are those like myself, who so happen to believe in DoG AND are a Dispy!

8. zackskrip

zackskrip New Member

Well, I don't think I'd go quite that far. Here's this from David:

[20]There is none like you, O LORD, and there is no God besides you, according to all that we have heard with our ears. [21]*And who is like your people Israel, the one nation on earth whom God went to redeem to be his people, making for yourself a name for great and awesome things, in driving out nations before your people whom you redeemed from Egypt?

(1 Chronicles 17:20-21 ESV)

David shows that God chose Israel. Was it arrogant for him to point this out?

Now, it is arrogant to walk around feeling superior for salvation, and stupid on top of that. Reformed theology teaches that you (like everyone else on planet earth) aren't good enough to be saved. All are sinners. All deserve punishment. But God (two most important words in Eph 2) is saving a people for himself, for his own glory, and those people will be known by their fruit/love.

Sir, I believe you are misrepresenting reformed theology, or you've been incredibly misinformed by a really crappy reformed-ish person.