1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your thought on washing feet in the church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jul 13, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It says the same thing. Didn't you read my post? "In an unworthy manner" is the same thing as "unworthily". Both describe an action. You DO SOMETHING in an unworthy manner. You DO SOMETHING unworthily. That isn't the same thing as being worthy or unworthy.

Context, context, context.

That is the whole issue laid out right there. They are partaking unworthily, or in an unworthy manner.

Again, it could not be more clear than this. He's saying to examine how we are partaking, whether we are eating or drinking in a worthy manner, or worthily. It does NOT have anything to do with being worthy. We are NOT worthy.

For what cause? Because they are eating and drinking unworthily - in an unworthy manner.

There's the part you quoted about judging ourselves -- IN CONTEXT.

#41 npetreley, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Are you suggesting I'm not a believer?

3. mmetts

mmetts New Member

I am not accusing you npetreley of anything. You are ok by me. I do believe my post is understood in context. I have also edited it. You might re-read it. Further, at the rate you are posting your responses, I'm led to believe, either (1) I was correct in my previous post in thinking your series of posts in this topic (which has been successfully derailed) was only to 'bait' in a brother (which is not the way to use the Word of God) and (2) I was also right in my previous post that you are angry. Goodnight NP.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are wrong Npet; but as always, you would not move if a locomotive was coming down the track and hit you in the face. The purpose was a communion and the scripture is simple saying to examine yourself to see if you are worthy to take the communion. If we could not examine ourselves why did He say to examine yourselves to see if you are in the faith?

You have a way about you of being disagreeable about everything. You admitted that you should be in peace and not have an ought against your brother, then turn right around and deny it.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I get passionate about defending what the Word says against those who would change it to match their man-made ideas. If my passion offends you, I apologize. If the truth of the word I have expounded offends you, I do not. I am confident in this, that I accurately reflected what is written, no more, no less.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I do not deny it at all. I have repeatedly supported that statement. All I'm saying is that this is NOT at all what this particular passage is talking about.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I beg to disagree Npet; It is what we live by and die by. I will defend it as long as I live.

Standing as Moderator over Communion and if I knew 2 brethren were not in peace, I would ask them to step outside and make peace and we will wait for them. If they said they couldn't make peace, I would sit them both back and not let them take Communion.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Well, you'll do what you do. That's not what it says, though.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, I among many others say it is what it means.

May I ask you a question, are you a ordained preacher or Pastor/Moderator?

Now if you allowed Communion to go on and the congregation not in peace, that would be dishonoring the Lord's body.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I know. I hear the same thing repeated all the time. Fortunately, I also hear people teach exactly what it says, which is what I did. So I'm not alone in this.

Nope.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You missed the key verse;

1Co 11:29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.
    30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
    31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

The examination is to critique or discern (Judge) not yoour brother but ones self. They also had a habbit os saying Brother so and so ought not be taking communion, he is guilty of this or that sin. Paul is saying don't judge him, judge yourself.

I do agree about the Church in Corinth and what they did to the Lord Supper. To add, the "Haves" would bring fine wine and good bread and not share it with the "Have Nots" who sometimes had to go without communion. he addresses those things in previous verses;

1 Corinthians 11:17-22 (KJV)
    17 Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.
    18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
    19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
    20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
    21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
    22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

And then again at the end;

1 Corinthians 11:33-34 (KJV)
    33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
    34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

He clearly changes topics in the middle.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You lost me. I highlighted verse 29. I certainly did not miss it.

This fits perfectly with the single topic. I don't know why you think he changes topics. It's all very self-consistent and coherent.

#52 npetreley, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2007
  13. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Don't miss an opportunity to be blessed by not being willing to humble yourself and wash your Brothers feet. Whether you're at the church or not.

#53 Cutter, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  14. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I have seen alot of brothers and sisters wash each others feet . I would love to wash there feet. You can see the love they have for each other and the love they have for Jesus Christ. I beleive Simon felt unworthy for this and Christ showed him he was worthy because he believed in him. I thank about all the Good things that God has for them that love him and see that this is one of them.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Acts 2:42, "They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer."

I have a hard time find feet washing in Acts 2:42. There are better uses of time in a worship service than feet washing.

16. mmetts

mmetts New Member

That's not the argument being made! Charles is advocating humility in the act of foot washing. I like that you went to Acts first, and skipped the gospels! It's about humility! I'd waste a whole bottle of cologne on a brother's feet. But then, there were some that didn't like that either...

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would have a hard time believeing that the early church was not humble. Yet, I see no evidence in Acts that foot washing was a part of worship.

Some people in church would need more than a bottle of cologne spilled on them. Better yet would be to teach them to take a bath or shower.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you don't do it, then how would you possibly know?

If all that Jesus had done were written, I suppose the world would not contain the books.

42: And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship. It has already been shown that they washed feet in the Gospels. You don't know whether they washed feet here or not, for there is no evidence that they didn't wash feet either.

It was a important function of the Church, seems to me when speaking of a widow in the church!

1Ti 5:10Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

Ah, they were a humble people without pride.

#58 Brother Bob, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I have hard time seeing your argument against feet washing in this passage.

2. Are singing and giving in this passage? But you do so every Lord's Day.

3. Use the text properly and get back to the real issue of feet washing.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter