1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your thought on washing feet in the church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You would certainly know if you had an ought against thy brother or was not at peace with the church. When the moderator inquires for peace and you are not at peace, then you should step back and not take it.

1Corth 11:
    26: For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
    27: Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
    28: But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
    29: For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, I understand now. I didn't realilze what you meant exactly. Before I take the Lord's supper I always ask forgiveness for my sins that I may come to God clean. I didn't realize this applied to footwashing. :)

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I am having trouble finding in Scripture where Jesus said "This do in remembrance of Me" as it pertains to foot washing.
    Ye who wash feet care to help me with it?

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

John 13:
    13: Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
    14: If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
    15: For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
    16: Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
    17: If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

It may not be in the words you want but when it says "ye also ought to wash one another's feet."

Here is a good scripture in support of feet washing, but Jesus went on and put the clincher on it.

The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

We believe He is saying if you refuse to wash each others feet, then you are putting yourself above the Lord. For we are the servants and He is our Lord. He was humble enough to do it, so why not us.

He also said, I have given ye an example, for ye should to to each other as I have done to you.

I mean you claim the Great Commission but want to leave this out. IMO

#24 Brother Bob, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  5. mmetts

mmetts New Member

Did not read all of the foregoing posts, but I believe it is a beautiful act of humility.

6. pinkcarnation

pinkcarnation New Member

Oops! Did not realize I was logged in under my son's username: mmetts. The above post is actually mine.

7. mmetts

mmetts New Member

Just to clarify, I don't live at home! My Mom was visiting. Alright, thank you!

8. mmetts

mmetts New Member

While I do not think my Mom accepts the washing of feet as a practice of devotion to Christ (only she understands the humility it represents) I do disagree with the notion based on Matthew 15. It is not the feet of others we ought to worry about, but the heart.

Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
    Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
    Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
    Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Charles, great idea for a thread. Are you a Baptist though?

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Creech, I believe in washing the saints' feet in church capacity. I also like the thought of Matthew Henry (who didn't hold the literal practice).

According to Matthew Henry, the feet washing was:
    1. Sure evidence that Jesus loved them -- "having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end."
    2. A demonstration of His humility -- "Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God" yet he "began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded." Cf. Mark 10:45
    3. A sign of spiritual washing -- "He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all."
    4. An example for His disciples -- "I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you."

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't see any connection there. Where does it say to examine yourself to see if you're worthy? Where does it say that you shouldn't partake of the Lord's supper because you're not at peace?

#30 npetreley, Jul 17, 2007
  11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Where does it say you should ask forgiveness of sins in order to partake of the Lord's supper? Obviously one should ask forgiveness when they sin - that's a given, and is Biblical (1 John, etc.). But what's the connection with the Lord's supper? I don't see any.

And what does this have to do with being worthy? Can you actually examine yourself and come to the conclusion that you're worthy? Ever?

12. mmetts

mmetts New Member

:tear:

1Co 11:23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread,
    1Co 11:24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
    1Co 11:25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
    1Co 11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
    1Co 11:27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord.
    1Co 11:28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

1Co 11:29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.
    1Co 11:30 That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.

I never thought I'd see that question on a Baptist forum.

#32 mmetts, Jul 17, 2007
  13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, this is the answer, NP.

14. mmetts

mmetts New Member

npetreley, please forgive my sarcastic remark in the previous post. It might help you to understand the doctrine better by studying the context of the epistle, 1st Corinthians. I do not know the situation that well at the church in Corinth, but I understand there were awful sins taking place and that the leaders were not being good shepherds. "A little leaven leavens the whole loaf."

There are several times in scriptures we are commanded to examine ourselves before doing something. It's not so that we can prove ourselves worthy, but God does expect us to complete certain things in order for certain blessings to take place.

For instance, for our sins to be forgiven, we must forgive those who trespass against us. And further, to help our brother see his sins, we must first deal with our own sins.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your thought on washing feet in the church.

Why go to the trouble? Just keep your shoes on.

16. mmetts

mmetts New Member

:applause:

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Kinda what Peter was saying.............. na, I take that back, Peter didn't feel worthy.

#37 Brother Bob, Jul 17, 2007
  18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You should see this question on a Baptist forum until it is answered correctly. Your interpretation is a very popular one, but it is not only faulty, it reeks of self-righteousness.

Read it again and again in context. It says "whoever eats the bread and drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner". This has nothing to do with examining yourself to see if you have unconfessed sin, or if you are at peace with your brothers. The purpose of examining yourself is to see if you are treating the Lord's supper with respect.

The Corinthians were not treating the Lord's supper with respect or discerning the Lord's body in it or the meaning of it. They were arriving drunk, eating ahead of one another, etc. They were not being nice to one another, but that wasn't their chief offense. Their chief offense was their disregard for the meaning of the Lord's supper.

Paul instructed them to examine themselves to see if they were partaking in a worthy manner, or worthily. The issue is how they were behaving right then and there, not any sin in their lives otherwise.

This, worthy manner or worthily, describes an action - it is an adverb. Doing something in a worthy manner (treating it with respect and reverence) is not the same thing as being worthy, which is an adjective. We can't examine ourselves and discover that we're worthy because we're not. I am not worthy. You are not worthy. We do not deserve worth-ship (worship). Nobody sings we are worthy, O Lord. We sing YOU are worthy, O Lord.

Like I said, I understand the importance of examining ourselves and for asking for forgiveness of sin. I'm not saying this isn't important. But it is not what this passage is talking about.

#38 npetreley, Jul 17, 2007
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Again, it is needful to ask what translation are you using?

1 Corth 11:
    27: Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
    28: But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
    29: For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
    30: For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
    31: For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
    32: But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

What about this part Npet; why you suppose it is in there.

For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged

It says for this cause many sleep. I would advise anyone taking the Lord's Supper to be in peace with all that are there.

20. mmetts

mmetts New Member

You're angry countenance suggests you are inaccurate. I am not further elaborating on the written Word, which is revealed only to believers. This is so very elementary too. Further, you're entire series of posts within this thread looks only to bait in a brother on your own interpretation of the passage, in order to proclaim your supposed superior point. Now then, it makes no sense for you to speak of my quote of the Word as self-righteous. I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

#40 mmetts, Jul 17, 2007