What would you like for breakfast?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 27, 2007.

?
  1. Bacon

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Sausage

24 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Country Ham

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Scrambled Eggs

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  5. Eggs over easy

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Toast

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  7. Pancakes

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Waffles

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  9. Grits/cream of wheat/malt o meal

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  10. Other

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LeBuick New Member

What is this? I never heard of a boiled omelet???

2. EdSutton New Member

A much belated welcome to the Baptist Board.

BTW, I agree about the grits!

And you can put the oatmeal and cream of wheat right alongside the grits! :thumbs:

But just don't touch my hashbrowns! :D :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

3. EdSutton New Member

Lay off my biscuits and gravy!

Besides, you, of all people, should know that gravy on potatoes is nature's most perfect food? ;)

Ed

4. David Lamb Active Member

I voted "Other" because I like porridge. I don't know what some of the items are. Probably American delicacies! "Grits" sounds like grains of sand (but I'm sure it can't be that), "cream of wheat" and "malt o meal" sound as if they could be drinks, and "eggs over easy" sounds as though there ought to be another word on the end. Over easy what?

5. Linda64 New Member

Sausage, scrambled eggs and toast---forget the grits....yuckkkkkkkkk

6. Linda64 New Member

Porridge sounds yummy---probably like our oatmeal? I do not like grits. Grits are ground up white corn. They are a delicacy here in the Southern USA. Eggs over easy are fried eggs turned over nice and easy---:laugh: ...something I have never done right---I'm always breaking the yoke. So I settle for scrambled eggs.

7. thomas not doubting New Member

David,

Polenta is very similar to grits, a common dish in the cuisine of the Southern United States, with the difference that grits are usually made from coarsely ground hominy (nixtamalization, which is the process of removing the hull from the kernel of the corn before grinding). When properly cooked, grits and polenta have similarly smooth textures, "grit" referring to the texture of the dried corn before cooking.

Grits are usually made with white corn, while polenta is made with yellow corn. White corn has a milder flavor than yellow.

As you can probably guess, people either like or hate grits; there is no middle ground. They are a breakfast staple in the American 'South', northerners probably did not grow up with them so they often don't like them.

'Cream Of Wheat' is an American cooked breakfast cereal, cooked like porridge and served hot with milk and sugar. It is made from wheat and is a creamy white color, so I suppose it is not made from the 'wholemeal' part of wheat, just the 'white bread' part of wheat.

'Malt O Meal' is another American hot cereal, like Cream Of Wheat. It is also made of wheat , but I think it has a bit of malted barley or something in it to give it a slightly different taste. It comes in plain, chocolate and 'maple with brown sugar' flavors. I think probably more children eat it than adults.

I was surprised when I visited the UK, that the cereal section in the supermarket was much smaller than what we are used to in the U.S. I don't think it was over 8 feet long there, while the cold cereal section in an American supermarket is 15 or even 20 feet long. The U.K. doesn't have nearly the selection of sweetened cold "kiddie" cereals that we have in the U.S., although I was last there in 1993 so I think it is likely becoming more Americanized.

The tea section in a British supermarket was much bigger than what we have as Americans. Americans, just mentally swap the respective sizes of the cold cereal and tea sections in a U.S. market to imagine the sizes over in England.

8. Carolina Baptist Active Member

I like grits but lately I have taken a shine to rice with sausage gravy

9. LeBuick New Member

"Every Man (or Woman) ought to know his limitations" -- Clint Eastwood

10. Joseph M. Smith New Member

I voted "Other" because on my trips to England, staying in B&B's, I learned to love "Full English". Add tomatoes to some of the ingredients already mentioned ... such as bacon, eggs, toast. And I am with the marmalade mention ... shredded orange would be my favorite.

11. donnA Active Member

My grandmother loved tomatoes with breakfast, eggs, bacon, biscuits, fried potaotes and tomatoes would be her pick.

12. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My mother did too, Donna, with green onions and radishes on the side! That is still one of my favorites also.

She was born in 1900, that may have something to do with it...they had their own garden.

13. David Lamb Active Member

Thanks for the clear description. I remember being similarly surprised when in 1972 I visited the U.S. (as a member of our county youth orchestra). For part of the tour, I stayed with a family on Long Island, and was amazed that the cereals had real strawberries, and various other fruits, in them. Now, though, the breakfast cereal section in a British supermarket is much larger than the tea section, and the choice much greater.

By the way, I'm assuming that the "corn" used to make grits is the corn that "stands as high as an elephant's eye", that is, what we call "maize" or "sweetcorn", rather than corn in the British sense of wheat, barley, oats or indeed any cereal.

Thanks again.

14. thomas not doubting New Member

Yes, when Americans speak of "corn" they mean maize or sweetcorn that "stands as high as an elephant's eye".

15. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

And always 'knee high by the 4th of July'. :)

16. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    7 scrambled eggs, 6 pieces of toast, 6 link sausages and a quart of milk.

17. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    I know how high an elephant's eye is... worked with 11 elephants for 4 years in Hoxie Brother's Circus... now defunct. (the circus that is, not me)

18. Sopranette New Member

Well, it's almost New Year's Day, so I best be gettin' my Hoppin' John's and bacon ready!

love,

Sopranette

19. mcdirector Active Member

I would love to eat a big breakfast every day if I could wait until about 9:00 am to eat:

Eggs over easy
    Bacon
    Gluten-free biscuits or cornmeal pancakes
    grits
    hashbrowns

As it is, I eat a big bowl of grits most mornings with a couple of mugs of coffee.

20. FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tostada y cafe con leche is a great way to start the day.